Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

I bought another Massey 1655, except this one.....

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Nice lookin setup there. Congrats.
What confuses me is the 26x12x12's.
There looks to be about 3 inches clearance to the fender. Has the fender/seat been jacked up at all?
I know, as Daniel said, there are differences in the tire sizes, but thats alot of air there.

I think it is just the way the tires are. I don't think they are Carlisle True Powers but another brand. I think they said Dico on them but it did say made in usa, so I am not sure. I know one thing, this one will run circles around my other one with the Eaton hydro speed wise. I think I have some drive line work to do on it though. There is a high pitch screeching sound, almost sounds like it could pass for air in the system but it isn't that. I think it is a bearing up by the belts to the driveshaft. The belts are angled too which I know isn't good so I will have to check in to that.

I did take a short video and once I get cleaned up I will get it uploaded and posted. I fixed about 4 things on it already just going about using it and noticing different things that are not right. I got the surging taken care of. I pulled the whole air filter assembly off and was going to take the carb off and decided to reset the idle needle and try it without the air filter on. Whadayaknow, it ran just like it should with no surging. Took a closer look at the air filter and I don't think it has been replaced in years. So I borrowed the one out of the other 1655 since it is torn apart in the garage. Got everything back together with that.

We had it down at the garden because we were picking rocks out of the garden and throwing them in the bucket and the lawn cart. I went to drive up the driveway to go dump the stones and it started loosing rpms, I thought it was running out of gas so I shut it down. Went and got the gas can and filled it up. Still no go, I thought the throttle lever seemed different so I went and drove down the hill to dump the stones and wanted to take it up to the garage to check it out. Well I didn't realize the ground was quite as soft as it was and the left front tire sunk to the middle of the rim. We used the Cub Cadet 147 and two 20' chains so it was up on top of the hill to pull it out. I am going to miss the Cub LOL

Anyway got it back up to the garage, here they must have replaced the throttle cable at one time and it wasn't clamped right at either end. I got it clamped at the throttle lever like it should be and then at the motor that clamp was bent to where it wouldn't actually clamp down. So I removed that clamp and straightened it out and put it all back together, now I have full throttle again. There are a couple leaks somewhere on the loader control valves but I will get to that as I have time. I plan on restoring this one mechanically first and then I will restore it paint wise. I want to rebuild the Onan 18hp B48 I have from the Case 448 and put that in this 1655.

#32 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Yep`isn`t that the way it always goes. You start useing it, and very shortly you start fixin the PO`s repairs.
Once you get it all dialed in you`ll be happy as a our wifes when we stop buying tractors.:D

I sure would like to find a FEL for one of the 14`s , but they seem nonexistent up
here.

#33 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 06:27 PM

I think a front end loader on a MF14 or MF16 would look sharp. The loaders are hard to find, especially for a decent price. That's why I couldn't let this one slip by even if it needed work. I didn't get a chance to look in the one box the PO gave me when I picked it up and I think he did tell me what was in it but I was busy strapping down. There is a brand new fuel pump still in the Onan box, another hydro pump and another dual hydro valve. I don't know if they are replacements or if they were replaced. I will probably test them out though.

I also want to tinker with how far the bucket tilts back. When the main lift arms are all the way down and bucket tilted all the way back it isn't tilted back much at all. The bucket edge is only about an inch off the ground. Seems like if you were trying to lift dirt that half of it would fall out till you got the bucket picked up high enough.

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Ok here are a couple pics I took today while tinkering with the 1655. The left front tire is shot. He gave me a set of front tires, look like they may have been the original ones and for some reason he replaced them with the ones that are on it now for some reason. I would like to get a set like has been mentioned, the smooth ribbed or something that has a more rounded profile to make turning easier. Turning with this thing is definitely a chore, I don't know how much worse that bad tire is multiplying that affect but it definitely takes both arms to steer the thing.

You can also see in the one picture how the hydraulic pump is mounted and it is driven from the front pto. Kind of weird having to turn the pto switch on and off all the time but I think I can get used to it.

Here are the pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0253.jpg
  • DSC_0254.jpg
  • DSC_0249.jpg
  • DSC_0257.jpg
  • DSC_0256.jpg
  • DSC_0255.jpg
  • DSC_0252.jpg
  • DSC_0250.jpg
  • DSC_0251.jpg
  • DSC_0259.jpg
  • DSC_0258.jpg

#35 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:34 PM

Here is the video I took. You can hear the screeching or squealing sound. I am almost positive it has something to do with either the bearing or belts for the hydro driveshaft. I will dig in to it some more once I get the hydro put back on the other 1655 and get it out of the middle bay.

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:38 PM

You got one heck of a deal George. Even still has the plastic tool tray!
The first mod you should do is add power steering. Worth the effort to add. Dico tires are like Deestones, being shorter than badged. Those look to measure about 24" tall.

#37 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:46 PM

George, that sounds just like my modified 1650 was doing. Ours are opposite, whereas my twin belts drive the pto & yours drive the hydro. Anyway, the adjuster to keep these belts tight....the adjuster bolt was rubbing hard against the bracket where it passes through. I simply spray some chain lube on now & then & sound goes away. May not be your issue, but something to check.
BTW....she sounds sweet! And great hydraulic response! Are you gonna add quick attach fittings so you can drop the loader easily when going to a plow day or the like....or just drop the bucket?

#38 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:55 PM

George, that sounds just like my modified 1650 was doing. Ours are opposite, whereas my twin belts drive the pto & yours drive the hydro. Anyway, the adjuster to keep these belts tight....the adjuster bolt was rubbing hard against the bracket where it passes through. I simply spray some chain lube on now & then & sound goes away. May not be your issue, but something to check.
BTW....she sounds sweet! And great hydraulic response! Are you gonna add quick attach fittings so you can drop the loader easily when going to a plow day or the like....or just drop the bucket?

I am going to take a look at the adjuster tomorrow, maybe that is all it is. It didn't make that noise until I went to take that video. So maybe that is the problem. I need to go get some filters for it and change all the fluid. After seeing the air filter I am sure nothing else has been done. Although the engine oil was clean so he must have changed that. There is a huge amount of oil on the underside of the motor, I don't know if it is leaking or if it is from changing the filter and all of it running out.

The front end loader does work good. I want to go over all of the fittings and fix any leaks. It is leaking somewhere at the control valve. I would love to put quick release fittings on it so I can drop the loader. If you get a chance can you take pics of how far back your bucket tilts on your front end loader on your 1855? This one has a stop welded on the inside of the left lift arm, I don't know if it is original or not, just seems like the bucket should tilt back a little further.

I might even get the 3pt swapped over to this one tomorrow. It needs weight on the back. I would like to fluid fill the rears too.

#39 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:57 PM

I forgot to add, I need to see about replacing the pin for the control levers on the valve body, the pin has been replaced and there is a lot of slop and the one lever is bent and makes using both levers at the same time a little difficult. Would love to convert it to single lever control :D

#40 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:01 PM

George, even though I built mind without plans from scratch, my bucket sits exactly as you describe. No matter how I tried, if I built it with more tilt back when lowered, it would not have enough tilt down when at full height for material to easily slide out. It really isn't an issue though, as hardly anything falls out while lifting & you don't want a real full bucket of dirt anyway. As it is, it will hold all you can safely lift, unless really light material.

#41 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:03 PM

Would love to convert it to single lever control :D

Easy enough to do, but........MO MONEY! LOL

#42 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:27 PM

Nice rig there George. You will be out digging holes in the ground just so you can fill them back in again. :rofl2:

#43 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:28 PM

Nice rig there George. You will be out digging holes in the ground just so you can fill them back in again. :rofl2:

Sounds like we've all done that huh Mike! :bigrofl:

#44 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:30 PM

George, In the winter time you will be glad your not turning the hydraulic pump while your starting the tractor....

#45 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Nice looking setup George :thumbs: And looks like you were eyeing pops fresh turned soil pretty hard.