• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Macgyver OFFLINE  

Macgyver

• Member No: 7014
  • 31 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Hey guys I just got a wheelhorse 312-A from my nephew and I'm pretty sure the noise he said was a deck bearing needing grease is actually coming from the pto. My question is how hard is it to change the bearing and race and where do I find parts? My wife is putting her claim on this tractor and wants it fixed so she has her own tractor because my bolens are too hard for her to start. I do really like the way this kohler runs for sure.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 09:09 PM

The PTO on my Raider 9 was easy. I had gotten the parts from my local WH dealer. Check with our sponsors too. There should be a manual in our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

• Macgyver said thank you

#3 Macgyver OFFLINE  

Macgyver

• 31 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 04:22 PM

I was able to get a bearing from a WH dealer about 30 miles away. However when I got home and pulled the pto housing off I noticed that the shaft from the motor has a keyway and the inside of the race for the needle bearing looks like there is no key in it. Am I correct that a key would be in there?

#4 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Doesn't look like there is one. This should take you to a parts list. May be the wrong year but the ptos never changed

http://www.partstree...hTerm=21-12KE01

Garry

#5 Macgyver OFFLINE  

Macgyver

• 31 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 04:52 PM

I saw that too Gwest, thats why i was confused because I have seen the race on ebay with and without a slot for key. I was assuming that most types of pulleys on the end of a shaft should have a key to hold them in place. I will have to take the whole assy. to the daler I got part from and have him educate me some more. I really like this tractor but need to make sure its not been damaged by previous owner.

#6 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Only the drive belt uses the keyway. The PTO does not. You'll be fine with the parts from the list Garry posted.

Edited by Racinbob, May 17, 2015 - 06:14 AM.