• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • Member No: 69512
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:04 PM

So, i'm having a thought, and I'd like input for good or ill. Ok here's my logic. I'm considering a skid-steer from a peerless four speed rearend from a craftsman. Basically I take the last three feet from a craftsman riding tractor frame, a vertical shaft gas engine from an old pressure washer mounted ahead,  Basically what is in the picture attached. My question and query to all you really experienced guys. Is "What am I missing?" "Why won't this work?"  My thought for the steering actuation. What i propose are basically plywood discs mounted on the inside of each wheel, with a curved steel band, that is attached to a lever, which when pressure applied slows the left so the right side turns and vice versa.Given the limited slip design of the rearend, it seems almost too perfect... 

A free-wheeling front-end, with 31. 10.50's truck tires side-wall cut out. tire inflation to act as extenders..... critiques are welcomed.  Ideas are highly encouraged. Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150321_183918.jpg
  • IMG_20150321_180032.jpg
  • IMG_20150321_183936.jpg

• Chopperhed and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:09 PM

You will most likely break that lawn mower differential with independant brakes.
  • Gtractor, Chopperhed, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:41 PM

And when you get to the working stage, what about leaves, sticks, mud etc. getting inside the tracks. You know you wont just run it on cut grass. If the tranny is truly limited slip that will present steering problems itself.

Mike

• Chopperhed, holdenboy1960 and Hobal have said thanks

#4 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Similar rigs have been built. My issue would be the ply wood disks and band brakes. Depending on which differential you have. It may take some serious brakes to turn it. It would help to know which transaxle you have.

And you will have to keep the chassis/engine level.

Edited by Chopperhed, May 15, 2015 - 09:41 PM.

• holdenboy1960 and Hobal have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 10:55 PM

What the heck go for it don't sound it's going to cost much.I like the truck tire tracks-keeps the cost down.If it don't work the only thing your out is your time . As said you should get the engine level.

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 11:10 PM

What the heck go for it don't sound it's going to cost much.I like the truck tire tracks-keeps the cost down.If it don't work the only thing your out is your time . As said you should get the engine level.

Absolutely!

Go for it. Great way to spend some shop time, have a few pints and some

fun.

You could cut some holes in the tracks, to eject any dirt. But, you may just

pick up more that way.

Slot the frames to slide them to help tension the tracks. Of course, then you'll

need a drive belt tension system.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 11:48 PM

Worst case scenario is it will not work. I think it was Thomas Edison who said" I have not failed. I have found 1000 ways not to make a light bulb.
  • Chopperhed, michael.kitko, holdenboy1960 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 03:57 AM

Would you expand on keeping the engine level? And as for brakes i have two discs and calipers from 2 mini quads. Bought a forney stick welder for a whoppin $40 so modifications arent an issue. The peerless rearend is the one in my gallery pics. It was a salvage i unmucked, so its a freebie and if i break an axle, i bet itd make an awesome winch.... Also going to 2" holesaw drill the tracks for debris release. Keep it coming guys. Thanks!!!
  • Chopperhed and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#9 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 05:55 AM

Yes you need to have some thing for the tension.  :thumbs:

• Chopperhed and Hobal have said thanks

#10 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 10:25 AM

utube , mudders from ride on's & such , there was a lot of that stuff to watch a ways back .same thing you are trying to do , btw disc brakes & calipers off cheap import motor bikes do a wonderful job too hydrolic type , not cable 70cc up type & easy to set up as well 

• Chopperhed and Hobal have said thanks

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 10:52 AM

Would you expand on keeping the engine level? And as for brakes i have two discs and calipers from 2 mini quads. Bought a forney stick welder for a whoppin $40 so modifications arent an issue. The peerless rearend is the one in my gallery pics. It was a salvage i unmucked, so its a freebie and if i break an axle, i bet itd make an awesome winch.... Also going to 2" holesaw drill the tracks for debris release. Keep it coming guys. Thanks!!!

The engine needs to be kept relatively level for proper lubrication and proper carb operation..

• Bill 76, holdenboy1960 and Hobal have said thanks

#12 Hobal OFFLINE  

Hobal
  • 19 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:39 PM

I have two identical peerless rearends.  which if faced towards each other, and the one facing backwards stays in neutral. Could culminate into a skid steer that will have four speeds in either direction..... Thoughts gentlemen??

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:39 AM

I like you really want a small skid steer. Over the past 5 yrs have researched and schemed fur unmeasurable hours.
Like others have said I have my doubts about a gt transmition being strong enough for the job.
If you do some digging back in the Popular Mecahnics arching a tractor tire there were plans to adapt an automotive differential and tractor tire for tracks.
If you google Mini Skid Steer you will find many ideas, and there are plans out there and even kits available.

Easier still might be finding a small skid steer and rebuilding it. Bobcat made models 310 and 317 that used clutches for steering and can sometimes be found for scrap prices. A guy who lives around the corner from my dad has a little guy (brand unknown) he has repowered and it is ones lick little loader. Lauman Little dippers are rare, Rounders, Ericson and many other brands show up once in a while. There is a thread on the net where a guy found a bobcat 317 0r 314 in a farm junk pile, restored and repowered it and had less than a grand in it.

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Need to correct myself, I transposed some numbers. There is in fact a Bobcat 317 but it is a mini-excavator.
The model skid-loader i was thinking of is a 371

#15 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 281 Thanks
  • 266 posts

Posted August 18, 2016 - 03:18 PM

I know this is an old thread...but have you given any thought to a borg warner T20 transmission? Their stout as hell and were used in amphibious 6x6s.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: peerless, craftsman