Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Friday evening question, trailer brakes.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 03:44 PM

I was checking my trailer brakes this week and all shoes are good, lubed some moving parts and adjusted the shoes. My question is, one brake does not grab as good as the other ones. If I turn the controller up a little higher than normal, it will then work. I can hear all magnets buzzing. I also cleaned the drum where the magnet makes contact. This is a tandem trailer and in PEI the law says to have brakes on all four wheels. So, three work good and one not so good. Any ideas. This is the first time I ever worked on electric bakes, so not up on the magnets part very well.  Noel 

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Sounds like you need to adjust the brake shoe adjuster on the brakes for that one wheel. The brake adjuster is a turnbuckle between the shoes at the bottom of the backing plate. You may have to pull the brake drum off (usually hub) to access this if the adjuster is frozen or you cant adjust it via the hole (slot) in the bottom of the backing plate. To adjust it there takes a tool.
  • boyscout862, propane1 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 04:59 PM

If adjustment doesn't help check for corroded connections going to that magnet. It may be getting a voltage drop due to that. A little extra work but if everything else doesn't help, pull the drum off it and one of the others to check magnetism w/ a piece of flat, clean steel. It might be getting tired.
Mike
  • propane1 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 05:27 PM

Shoes are adjusted up to with in 1/2 turn or less on the adjuster, when the shoes are dragging or not. I set all wheels the same. Good idea on the power to the magnet. The power must vary to the magnets to be able to set how strong they come on ?? So how would you test the voltage to the magnet. ???
  • Coventry Plumber said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:05 PM

I never adjust adjusters on brakes equal to each other. Just like on a car the brakes just equalize themselves until they are worn out. Therefore you may have different brake pad wear requiring additional adjustment.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, May 15, 2015 - 08:06 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,716 Thanks
  • 4,275 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 10:34 AM

I never adjust adjusters on brakes equal to each other. Just like on a car the brakes just equalize themselves until they are worn out. Therefore you may have different brake pad wear requiring additional adjustment.

Casey, You may be thinking right but it isn't coming out that way. The brakes should be adjusted until the wheel doesn't turn and then backed off until it does. All should be backed off the same amount thus being equal. Sounds like Noel has done that.

Noel, are your wires soldered at the brakes or do they use butt connectors? Trailer mfg's like to use the butt connectors and they are a prime source of lost connection. Solder and heat shrink are best. If you have a clamp on amp meter you can test the amp draw of the magnets and get an idea if they are even. Checking resistance is another good way as well as checking the voltage att he connections across the magnets from one wheel to another since only one doesn't work right.. Another thought would if the arm wasn't keeping the magnet close enough to the drum.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,197 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 01:16 PM

Thanks Doug. I will look again. It does have the butt connectors. Noel.