• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sailbad OFFLINE  

Sailbad
  • Member No: 70623
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 11:56 AM

Can the Peeless gear boxes on the 44 inch deck be rebuilt with off the shelf parts.  Is there any info on this site or others that might be of help.  Thanks for your attention.  Stan Sewell.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Many parts are still available from Peerless

Which parts are you looking for, There's Genuine Peerless and also aftermarket bearings and seals I have sourced and interchanged .

• Sailbad said thank you

#3 Sailbad OFFLINE  

Sailbad
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Also, I spoke with a tech (?) at Peerless and got no help at all.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 12:33 PM

Happy to help if I can just let me know what your looking for. I dont know if I understand Peerless and their sales strategy , they keep discontinuing common parts that alot of people still buy :wallbanging:

It is quite common for most places to throw you under the bus on the older stuff as they cant be bothered by looking up older part numbers, thats the great thing about our sponsors here, we will go the extra mile to get you the parts you need and enjoy helping people find the parts they thought were obsolete.

• Sailbad said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Most times bearings and seals for angle drives can be sourced locally. If you need gears or shafts, that's where it can get harder to find your parts and much more expensive. 

#6 Sailbad OFFLINE  

Sailbad
  • 3 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 09:57 AM

...I took the one of the Peerless gear boxes apart, found them to be very well designed and strong built. Both of my boxes have the lower ball bearing at the blade shaft end worn very bad, the seals were almost unrecognizable. Peerless no longer supplies information or parts for them.

I found bearings on line and OReillys has the seals by national numbers. The drive end seal number is #471267 and the driven shaft (blade end) is #471730. Those are universal identification numbers.  All four ball bearing are the same R14 Open Ball Bearing ID7/8 x OD1-7/8 x W3/8 Inches  You have to designate the 3/8" width because some come in 1/2" and won't work because of the snap rings.  FYI: mine hade Nachi EE8 bearings...EE8 crosses to the R14

These boxes are fairly simple to rebuild. Having tight gears boxes reduces the vibration that causes stress cracking in the deck shell

Edited by Sailbad, May 20, 2015 - 10:39 AM.

• KennyP said thank you