2 replies to this topic

#1 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 10:28 PM

I was mowing with the little rear engine rider 800 the other evening and when I got done and was heading to put it away the throttle control quit working.  I have since checked it out and everything is connected on the outside and nothing is missing or binding.  If I put a screwdriver on the slot on the end of the governor arm coming out of the block and twist it it will raise and lower the engine rpm's and works the carb just fine.  I checked the breakdown of the engine on partstree and it looks to me like the governor arm has a tab on the end of it inside the block that looks to be spot welded on or attached in some way and not all one piece with the shaft itself.  I am curious if someone has ever had one of these series of engines apart and confirm this for me.  I have a feeling that it came loose from the shaft and can no longer control it from inside the block.  Hate to tear it apart if its not the problem, but I can't see anything on the outside that could be causing the problem.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,744 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 10:40 PM

Please post a couple of pics of the carb and linkage. My first instinct is to look at it when it is running and move the throttle. I'm not sure why but, the way you are discribing this, I suspect that the lever that attaches to the governor shaft may have slipped(outside the engine). It clamps onto the shaft and I have seen them slip before. It is possible that a linkage spring broke too. Before taking anything apart, clean it all and adjust the linkage in accordance with the manual. See our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 14, 2015 - 10:41 PM.

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#3 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 10:54 PM

Please post a couple of pics of the carb and linkage. My first instinct is to look at it when it is running and move the throttle. I'm not sure why but, the way you are discribing this, I suspect that the lever that attaches to the governor shaft may have slipped(outside the engine). It clamps onto the shaft and I have seen them slip before. It is possible that a linkage spring broke too. Before taking anything apart, clean it all and adjust the linkage in accordance with the manual. See our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

Nope clamp is TIGHT, already checked it.  Was one of my first thoughts cause the K series kohlers have that problem sometimes.  No broken springs either.  Everything external is good and functioning.  

With the engine NOT running the throttle handle will move all the linkage and the governor arm and move the arm on the carb butterfly.

With the engine running and the throttle handle moved it will move all the linkage but has no effect on the governor arm or the rod going to the carb butterfly.  My apologies as I forgot to mention that and it is why I think it is internal.

• boyscout862 said thank you