• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 01:39 PM

A while back I bought an AC 416S (non-running) for basically a parts tractor. Engine had no carb on it. But the block was painted in the gray that to me signals a remanufactured block. I found a carb for it and fired it off. Runs real sweet, great sounding engine. I pulled it out as I have the rest of the tractor sold (guy just wants the rear end). I'll keep the wheel and tires off it too.

Anyway, this is a wide base block and I was wondering if it would be easy to change the oil pan to the smaller ones. I have 2 options of what it will go in, one being my Ford LGT 165 or another mystery tractor that I hope to drag home soon.

Today, I got it up on the table to pull the pan and see what it looked like under the pan. I got lucky, as it does not have the slots going out to the width of it. So any oil pan will fit it. WooHoo!!! :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Even the holes for a smaller pan are threaded.

2015-05-14 13.05.46.jpg     2015-05-14 13.05.56.jpg

But, the balance gears have some slop in the bearings, so I need to address that before it gets installed. Either I get the new bearings for them or just a gasket set and remove them. I have some time to think about that decision.

But, I'm a happy camper at the moment. Bottom side of the cylinder looks real good, piston looks snug in there. It has real good compression, I can't roll it over by hand.

I guess this makes it an AQS engine.

• Gtractor, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 02:15 PM

I removed them while I was putting rings in my engine, that is in my LGT 165 Ford, last year. I asked on here and fellas I know locally about the balance gears. Most said to remove them. So I did and I don't see any difference. Any of my other engines that I have opened up already had them out. Noel
  • KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 02:30 PM

That's what I'm thinking too. I didn't see that much differenc in the K341 in the Ford when I took them out.

I got to looking closer inside while the pan is off and guess what I found? Can you spot it?

2015-05-14 13.49.00.jpg

Maybe a little light will help!

2015-05-14 13.49.30.jpg

The fuel pump is upside down! Don't know why, though.

2015-05-14 13.58.45.jpg

I flipped it back the right way and hooked a line to it. Took several fillings of the line, but it did start pumping fuel with the hand lever. I saw no sign of fuel inside the block.

2015-05-14 14.02.10.jpg     2015-05-14 14.02.29.jpg

If I have to use it, I will pay close attention to the oil. The Ford has a fairly new pump on it, if it goes there.

• Gtractor, Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:50 PM

So that's why the carb was gone??? The fuel pump was not working and the owner could not figure it out , so he use the carb on another engine ??? Just a thought. Noel

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 05:09 AM

So that's why the carb was gone??? The fuel pump was not working and the owner could not figure it out , so he use the carb on another engine ??? Just a thought. Noel

No idea on the missing carb & air cleaner. And the regulator was fried from hooking it up wrong, along with no steering wheel. Bought it as a parts tractor, so not a lot in it.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 05:21 AM

Was the fuel tank higher, or just half way (or quarter way) than the carb.

Noel could be right there. Maybe some one put the pump in upside down, filled

the tank, and it ran on gravity feed. Once fuel level got too low, it would quit.

So, pull the carb, clean it, fill the tank and go for a few more hours.

And over and over, and finally get mad at the carb and throw it out. Ha. Possible.

• KennyP and propane1 have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Was the fuel tank higher, or just half way (or quarter way) than the carb.

Noel could be right there. Maybe some one put the pump in upside down, filled

the tank, and it ran on gravity feed. Once fuel level got too low, it would quit.

So, pull the carb, clean it, fill the tank and go for a few more hours.

And over and over, and finally get mad at the carb and throw it out. Ha. Possible.

You can go gravity for a while. The fuel outlet on the tank is nearly even with the bottom of the carb bowl, maybe a little lower. What surprised me was this tractor had skinny rims on the front, but they are AC wheels. My other one has the wide wheels. I like the look of the skinnys better. But the wide would be best for mowing.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 04:10 PM

Well, the tractor left today for it's new home. Glad I had something someone else could use.