• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:02 PM

I just replaced the coil thinking it was bad causing the engine to quit running after a few seconds. Since the engine is apart this far, I decided to pull the head off to clean it up (it was filthy. ) and saw the exhaust valve sticking up...and it was stuck up. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and WD40. I took the inspection cover off and sprayed the spring too. With a small tap, it would fall down into place. I continued to lube it and turned the engine over by hand where it opened and closed fine without having to put any pressure on it. I put the head back on and it started but died a few seconds later...just after the engine died, I could hear the valve then drop back down into place.

Now what? I've never messed with valves before. What could be causing it to stick?
  • laurarg3 said thank you

#2 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,084 Thanks
  • 1,889 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:34 PM

Probably like most other stuck valves carbon buildup.

• boyscout862 and oldiron1 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 02:59 AM

I've been through this many times before. Pull the spark plug and use a bent wire through the hole to push the valve down. Reinstall the spark plug, add Marvel Mystery oil to the gas, and start the engine. When it stops, push the valve down again. I've had to repeat this as much as 6 times before it loosens up. As long as you keep adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas(a tblspn per gallon) it shouldn't stick anymore. The Marvel will also clean the combustion chamber and rings to improve engine performance over time. Good Luck, Rick

• oldiron1 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#4 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 03:05 AM

What bbuckler said--carbon buildup
try what boyscout said I've good success with that.If you got one that's really stubborn get a valve spring compressor tool and take out the valve and polish the stem with a scotch bright pad and clean out the guild with a round stiff brush and solvent and as long as you got the valve out might as well lap it in,you will be good to go for a long time.
But as said usually working in some marvel mystery oil will do the trick

Edited by Bill 76, May 14, 2015 - 03:18 AM.

• boyscout862 and oldiron1 have said thanks

#5 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Sometimes the only way is removing the valve and polishing it .....

• boyscout862, oldiron1 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 oldiron1 OFFLINE  

oldiron1
  • Member No: 43924
  • 292 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 09:31 PM

Thanks so much guys for the great advice! I took the head off, cleaned everything up with a wire wheel, put the head back on, lubed up the valve springs with a bunch of WD40. I added some Mystery Oil to the gas and after an hour of starting it and restarting it, the oil must be working as it's purring like a kitten now without the choke on! It's great to finally hear her run.

Now to go back out in the garage and keep running it...

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 08:31 AM

You are on the right track now. I had a valve stick in my rail frame murray Briggs vanguard.
I now put a little Marvel mystery oil in the fuel every 15 hrs or so and have never had the problem reoccur.