4 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Some of you will remember the old Frankenstine I aquired last fall.  Put the chinese motor in it and patched up some tires. Chopped a G14 hood  to fit.  Had a good solid 4 + Hi/Lo rear end under it.  Not to bad an old tractor but NO PTO.

A guy contacted me that had a G12 with a starter out.  Said it was his grandkids tractor but was to much tractor for them to play around with.  I had another 3 speed transaxle that is in real good condition so we made a trade.  I put the 3 speed in the tractor this afternoon.  Will back the throttle control down to about 3/4 throttle max.  Wil make a good kids tractor, still plenty of power at 13hp Chinese rated which would be about 8 hp from a Wisconsin or Briggs.  We traded satraight across and he is doing the hauling.

That old Chinese is a good engine.  Sat for over a month in the shed and when I went to get it yesterday morning I started on the first pull.  If has electric start but no charging system.  Plan to keep it pull start as that is another way to control who and when the tractor will be run.

All part of the fun of buying, selling trading and cobbling up GT's.

re-pow-1.JPG    re-pow-4.JPG    re-pow-6.JPG

Edited by chieffan, May 13, 2015 - 08:57 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, A.C.T. and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 11:09 AM

Wow great pictures and sounds like a lot of fun.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 11:58 AM

Sounds like you're both getting what you want or need.
  • chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Trade is done and I worked on the received unit today.  Found out right off it has had an engine change.  It now has a Tech 14hp in it.  So what I thought was a G12  1255, is now a  ????  a G14 1455, or 1453 or ???  When I am done with it, it will be more like a 1453 than anything as it will have dual belt drive for the PTO and tractor drive.  PO said the starter was out but a cleaning and lube the drive it works fine.  cleaned the car, oil change, the usual stuff and it fired right off.  Warm up and minor adjusting it we went for a nice ride.  Ran like it was just run yesterday.  Will get some photos tomorrow.  Had the granddaughter here and hard to do a lot when a 4 yo is bugging one all the time.  Got the RAM out and let her drive it around the drive a few times and she was happy.

• olcowhand and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:10 PM

Ran into more problems today.  Windy as all get out so left the door closed and no photos just yet.  Went to put new drive belts on and found I did not have the correct size.  In the process of changing belts I found the front bearing is out on the drive shaft.  Got that out and ready to go to the shop in the morning and get the pulley pressed off so I can get a new bearing put back in.  Going to try a link belt on the tractor.  Have an extra length around so why not try it.  I use them on all my wood shop tools and get along just fine.  Will use this while I wait for the right belts to come.

Also found the PTO shaft is froze to the spring tension block.  May have to remove the top cover to get to it to do much with that.  Some people that leave their equipment sit outside 24/7 uncovered have no common sense at all.  Plus a bottom less pocket book.  DUMB !

Edited by chieffan, May 17, 2015 - 05:11 PM.

• Paulgo said thank you