15 replies to this topic

#1 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • Member No: 70640
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I saw there is another topic in the forum from 2013 on this subject but there was no link to the manual.

I just bought this tiller and am hoping to use it this weekend.  Does anyone know is there an archive where I can download the manual?  The tiller picture below I borrowed from the other like post and the close up of the Briggs engine model number is from mine.  One thing I noticed different between mine and the one from the other post is the the supports to the handle on mine are two piece with a braket in the middle.

Bolens Tiller.jpg Tiller Engine Tag.jpg

Does anyone know where this a manual for this that I can download?  It's not something I really need to change the oil and start it up but would like to have.

Thank you,

Craig

• Alc said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

Do you have the model of this mustang?

I should have the manual I can upload for you but there were about 8 different mustang models like this.

• Alc, boyscout862 and crfuchs have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:42 AM

Welcome to GTT. Good Luck, Rick
  • crfuchs said thank you

#4 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thank you for the welcome and where do I find the model number.  I've only found the tag for the engine and another one on the tiller deck/shield but that seems to only show where it was bought from. The pic I took of the one on the deck/shield is blurry but I am pretty sure it just says where to get it serviced.

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Welcome to the GTT Forums!

The B&S model 61502 was a vertical-crankshaft engine.  ...The Mustang used a horizontal-crankshaft engine.

The starter housing has been replaced on your tiller, so those engine numbers do not apply to the engine actually on your tiller.

Can you post some pics of your tiller? 

Are any of the decals intact on your Mustang?  ---- There were several models: Mustang, Super Mustang, Heavy Duty Mustang, Junior Mustang, & Professional Mustang.

Bolens tillers of this era (1950's-1960's) had a metallic tag approx 1" x 2-1/2" (usually red & silver) attached to the frame or tine hood.  ...This is where the Bolens model number would be found.

• Bolens 1000 and crfuchs have said thanks

#6 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 12:08 PM

When I get home tonight I will take some more pictures and look for more tags. It does say Super Mustang,

#7 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 07:57 PM

Here are the pictures and I don't see where there is a model number.Tiller View Looking Forward.jpg Tiler Side View R.jpg Tiller Side View L.jpg Tiller Tag Tine Hood.jpg Tiller View Front.jpg Tiller Front Close.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi and Nato77 have said thanks

#8 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Looks like the tag is gone should be on the front corner of the cover by the word mustang. 

• crfuchs said thank you

#9 Rainier ONLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:41 PM

I'm off the coast halibut fishing, But when I get home I'll check . I might have a manual as well.
  • crfuchs said thank you

#10 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Does anyone know which exact model # this is?  GL fishing.

#11 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:37 AM

There is a problem when trying to identify a model not having an ID tag.  ....In some cases it is very clear, but in other cases it becomes cloudy because Bolens paperwork does not always coincide with actual production.

I believe your tiller is either a 1960 model # 2046 but it coud possibly be a 1961 model # 2056.  .....Both models would have had a B&S model 81392 engine which had the aux PTO shaft for the tiller's reverse.

The #2046 tiller used only an expansion plug on the front end of the wormshaft to seal the gearbox.  ....The #2056 had a different gear case which used a plug held in place by a retaining ring.  ....Looking at the illustrated parts lists, the gearboxes have a visual difference, but the photos in the manual appear to be of a different model.  (see my statement above.)

I suspect you have the # 2046 as a previous owner has fabricated some type of bracket at the front of the gearbox to possibly retain the expansion plug. 

The two models shared the same upper handlebar (lower handle bars had different part numbers), tine hood, and reverse drive pulley on the engine.  ....Frames, gear cases, engine and tiller pulleys, and belts were not the same for the two models.

• Bolens 1000 and crfuchs have said thanks

#12 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 09:06 AM

Bruce thank you for all the information. The history of the machine, I am the 3rd owner and the second owner had it for 4 years only.  The original owner was a tool and die guy who worked for Pabst Brewery, and loved working on machines, so it wouldn't be surprising if the machine was tinkered with. Would it help if I can get a number off of a belt or ? to figure out exactly which model?

Does anyone have either of those owners manuals?

Since it sat since last year I am looking to change the oil. Would Briggs SAE 5W-30 Synthetic be ok? 

Thank you for all the help,

Craig

Edited by crfuchs, May 14, 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 09:17 AM

The # 2046 used a 32"  (Bolens # 1185487) and a 34" (Bolens # 1108467) belt.

The # 2056 used a 33" ( Bolens # 1800367) and a 30" (Bolens # 1712719) belt.

ANY oil is better than NO oil, but in an older engine I prefer SAE20, SAE30, or 10w30 or 10w40. 

If you take some closer pics of the tiller gearbox showing more details, that may help pinpoint the model.

• crfuchs said thank you

#14 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Excellent.

I will check the belts and take more pics tonight if I get home from work before dark otherwise tomorrow morn.

#15 crfuchs OFFLINE  

crfuchs
  • 4 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 01:09 PM

Here are some pictures of the engine from all sides up close. Also as you can see the belts are worn and I do not see any number.

I see the oil fill cap but how or where do I check to make sure there is enough oil?

Bruce, do these pictures help?

Engine Front Close.jpg Engine Close Back Looking Down.jpg Engine Close Back.jpg Engine Close Left Side.jpg Engine Close Right Side.jpg

Edited by crfuchs, May 15, 2015 - 09:40 PM.