#1 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 02:45 AM

2006 (I think ?) Walker Mower Model MTGHS 26 HP EFI Kohler CH26S.

I am more familiar with the EFI V-Twin Kawasaki problems. The Walker Runs fine for hours, then upon start up for the next mow it stumbles hard, won't rev up. After a 20 min or longer wait it starts and runs fine. Fuel filter, sending unit and pick up screen replaced. Tank drained and filled with high grade gas.

Thinking it is the EGU ? I read these had high failure.

Is there a way to test the TPS ?

Going to try bleeding the line next time in case of vapor lock, been 90 / high 80 degrees during the day.

Thanks,

Edited by trowel, May 13, 2015 - 02:47 AM.

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:34 AM

I have no experience with small engine EFI  but if it was an auto , I would look to see if the injector(s)  are dripping fuel when you shut it off . Do they have a spot to check fuel pressure ?  Another way to check is if you can shut off the fuel pump whiles it's running then let it set for a little , hook it back and see if it makes a difference .

• trowel and superaben have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:07 PM

WTF ! the first time I have asked for help with a engine in how long ? Guess I expect to much.

Thanks Alc, That really helps.

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:13 PM

Sounds like the injector isnt closing and you have to reprime it everytime you start it. It may be about half flooded when you try to start it also

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:38 PM

tater195 thats what I was thinking too. It sometime happens on my 2005 Caviler 200k+ , not every time , but every once in a while it floods on a hot start, but GM has a "clear flood " mode so if you hold you foot all the way to the floor it supposed to keep the injectors from firing more during cranking , starts and runs like crap for a few seconds until clear

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 09:49 PM

Jesse, did you replace the fuel filter with an OEM Kohler fuel filter specifically for an EFI?  That can make a huge difference.  I know that from experience. 

Ben W. 

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Fuel filter, sending unit, screen changed to new, all OEM. Fine for a week then the problem changed yesterday to a miss turning into a back fire with the miss. New plugs put in this morning with no change. Used the Bob Cat instead.

Spent yesterday all morning in the rain working the mowers and string trimmers, after lunch it started missing on house # 2 so I scrambled the Bob Cat.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Have you tried running injector cleaner in it. I'm not familiar with your engine so bare with me here. I have a pickup that was diagnosed with a bad injector. Turned out to be the coil pack. Change the plug and it would run fine for 1500 miles. 

If your injectors are electronically controlled you might want to check your connections and see if your control module is functioning properly. Is the engine smoking when it's doing this? What color is the smoke?

• trowel said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:26 PM

Had it taken to the shop to be code tested while I mowed, popped bad fuel pump, had that changed and field tested, same problem continues apparently so it was left at the shop. The local Walker dealer know their equipment and the owner very well so we expect it back by Tue at the latest.

No smoke, just the miss leading to backfire, puff of smoke. i was expecting bad ECM requiring update replacement wiring harness but it was not, the injectors are electronically controlled. I think it is the coil itself, i had coils go bad in the past, i just wish i had a tester.

The 20 hp Command engines would use oil after several years or so spinning a compressor pump in the truck mounted unit, the sleeving experiment in the later 26 hp Command was not a good one and the engine always ran hot.

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Collapsed inner fuel line weakened by the ethanol in our fuel. New line and the problem is solved.

Nice simple fix,

• KennyP, Cvans and shorty have said thanks

#11 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Blasted ethanol  :mad2:

We can still get gasoline here without ethanol. Did he use a different type of fuel line this time?

• trowel said thank you

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:13 AM

Blasted ethanol  :mad2:

We can still get gasoline here without ethanol. Did he use a different type of fuel line this time?

Mower was built in 95 so before the Ethanol, replacement fuel pump, sending unit and pump is new updated OEM parts for the same model Walkers built in 2000 and later during the Ethanol conversion. I am glad it was found before the line decayed to crumbling.

Ma has some gas stations that sells gas without the Ethanol but very pricy and far.

Edited by trowel, May 24, 2015 - 06:14 AM.

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 06:51 AM

Non-ethanol here can be 20 to 30 cents more a gallon. Glad it's fixed now. Add some Seafoam if you have to run the ethanol.

• trowel and Cvans have said thanks

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 02:25 PM

The simple fixes can be tough to locate some times.

• trowel said thank you