• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 12:58 AM

Does anyone own one of these. I have sold a bunch of my projects and I am thinking about taking the plunge So to speak. I don't think I want the diesel I think gas will be cheaper to work on and I don't know much about working on them so I think gas is for me. I do want 4x4 and the rear pto and 3 point. I think I will get a 60 inch 27 hp. So any info will be great.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:30 AM

IME you save a lot on fuel with a diesel and if you can do the maintenance yourself it's no more expensive than a gas engine powered tractor. With EFI and other high tech stuff on some gas engines I think they might be more difficult to keep running for the average guy than a proven basic diesel design like a Yanmar or Kubota. 

• Alc and WrenchinOnIt have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:37 AM

With EFI and other high tech stuff on some gas engines I think they might be more difficult to keep running for the average guy than a proven basic diesel design like a Yanmar or Kubota. 

Brian that's a good thought !    I'm sure the EFI can get $$$  if there's problems down the road when it's out of warranty .

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:55 AM

I have about 300 hrs on my 2008 JD2320. It's a 24hp Yanmar diesel. Fluid and filter changes and that's it. It's easily done at home. No fuel related issues, carb or ignition problems, plugs, wires etc. to deal with.  Compared to the Kawi Vtwin powered X475 I had it uses slightly more than 1/2 the fuel/hr doing loader work and general chores around the property. If you are mowing and using a lot of HP the fuel savings won't be as great.

• Alc said thank you

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 09:15 AM

Does anyone own one of these. I have sold a bunch of my projects and I am thinking about taking the plunge So to speak. I don't think I want the diesel I think gas will be cheaper to work on and I don't know much about working on them so I think gas is for me. I do want 4x4 and the rear pto and 3 point. I think I will get a 60 inch 27 hp. So any info will be great.

I have an XL with the 27hp gas Kawasaki.  Love it.  It's a step up from the early Legacy's I have had.  4x4 is pretty cool, and extremely beneficial, especially for loader work.  If given the right deal, I would consider the switch to diesel an improvement and would not hesitate to do it.  L&G diesels are simple to maintain...the engines far outlast the gassers and they burn much less fuel.

The way I understand it, any 4x4 XL will be 540 PTO and 3pt equipped, unless specifically special ordered without it, or it has been removed. 2x4 models uses the K92 which does not have an output for 4 wheel drive, but may have the PTO added later.

There are certainly great deals to be found in the used market.  I found mine on CL last fall.  I sent the guy a deposit, listed my early legacy/FEL/3pt for sale, and worked it out so that I delivered my old one to it's new owner, and picked up my new one in the same trip, 5 days later.  Broke even on a 4x4/540PTO/3pt/FEL/60" gas XL with lower hours ($4900).  I use the snot out of it.  I found a diesel/4x4/3pt/540pto/60" machine with 202hrs recently...I shot it to a buddy who drove from NE to TX to pick it up...$3700.  A real steal, but not en everyday deal.  Beware...there are LOTS of grossly overpriced units for sale.

Here's a few teaser vids I shot the past couple months with mine:

Brian that's a good thought !    I'm sure the EFI can get $$$  if there's problems down the road when it's out of warranty .

Non-issue...Simplicity uses the naturally aspirated CH27 and Kawa Liquid 27.  No EFI to monkey with...both bullet proof, but all commands are guzzlers, in my experience.  

I do have the 27horse Kawasaki, and it is relatively light on fuel.  Fill it about half as often as the same size tank fueling a CH25 on an older Legacy.

• Alc, WrenchinOnIt and Dgrader have said thanks

#6 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Boy you hit the nail on the head when you said teaser videos. I am drooling over here. I have not heard one down side on these mowers except the price point. Now you said the new ones are better than the older ones can you give me some examples
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 11:51 AM

It's hard to put a finger on it, but the 'feel' is just different.  Almost more buttoned up.  The tractor doesn't look or maneuver as though it is larger, but the footprint and stability makes it seem as so.  The hydro operation is smoother, and I have not found it to lose neutral adjustment like my early legacy's all did.  The foot pedals are also positioned more intuitively.

The lack of foot control implement lift is a bummer to me.....BUT, the joystick control is quite nice.  I can hold a beer in the left hand, and still steer with the right, and that joystick is right there for loader control...I don't think they could have put it in a better spot.  Again, tough to put into word, but it works.  I would like to buy an early legacy foot hydrolift valve and pedal assembly, and add it to my XL.  I would like it to control an independent set of hydro quick connects, which I could use to plug in my hydro angle dozer lift, or add a cylinder to the 3pt and plug that in as needed (without ditching the current lift completely...use one or the other depending on the task).  That's just a 'want' for me though.

I find the 3pt hitch to be more robust (though it still lacks a method or means to lube it), and love the way the aux hydro is setup.  I had that on my early Legacy (AGCO 2025) and wouldn't have one without it.  The power steering is vastly improved.  Engine hp is increased.  Seat is a heck of a lot nicer (again, IMO).  The loaders are much beefier than the old version, and the on/off could not be simpler for attachments, loader included.  

There are really major drawbacks...minor things include the learning curve to the joystick and foot hydro, and I feel that reverse is too darn slow (verified on a couple different XLs plus mine).  I probably overthink this stuff, but enjoy trying the various machines and working them.  Hope it helps in some way.  Anyone is welcome to stop by and take a joyride on mine.

Interestingly, I have thought of Simplicity's late model machines, and especially the high $$ Legacy, as sort of a dying breed...again, just personal opinion.  BUT...locally we just added a new dealer this spring, and I have found over the past few months that I drive by no less then five Legacy XL owners on my 10 minute rural drive to work.  3 wear loaders for sure, and each looks like it's on mowing duty.  It's always nice to spot those Simplicity Striped lawns in mid May :thumbs:  I cannot tell you the last time I have seen a JD X700 series.  A year ago maybe, someplace?

At this rate. the only thing I see more of around here, is Kubota & Mahindra.  

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#8 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Bought one new in 2006 have a little over 200 hrs on it , no complaints , has the liquid cooled Kawa 27 hp ,the dealer steered me away from the Daihatsu diesel having both sitting in the showroom. Super smooth tractor , rides like a Caddy , power steering turns it with one finger, 4wd handy especially with the FEL, 5' floating deck is a little different with the electric motor height adj ( mine has it , not sure what they use now) but cuts VERY nice. I put the FEL on it and retired it from grass cutting. Two 👍 up , you won't be disappointed . I liked it so much I bought a Citation XT zero turn from them for mowing duties. Second best tractor ever to come out of Port Washington, WI... Hey whoops , what forum am I on 😉

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#9 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 09:06 PM

I love how no one has anything bad to say about them

#10 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 538 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 10:11 PM

If your not to far from Kokomo, Indiana, we have one of the diesel LegacyXL's in the showroom, with 3pt, rear pto, 54 mid mount mower and front end loader.  You can take it out in the lot for a drive to see if you like it.  We have also added the factory ROPS on it.  The diesel really sips the fuel and no worries about the ethanol crap fouling expensive carbs.  My 920 will sometimes sit weeks without being run since its more of a show tractor than a worker these days.  Never have issues with her firing up after sitting for long lengths of time.  If you keep the maintance by the book, a diesel will yield a longer life span over a gas engine and have greater resale value if it ever came time to sell the tractor.   Good luck in your hunt.  MIke

• Cvans said thank you

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 10:37 AM

These Super GTs are surely a scarse breed these days. The JD 700series uses a similiar drivetrain and probably goes for higher prices on the used market. One thing to consider is moving from the Super GT to a SCUT.  The SCUTs comes standard with all the features of a small farm tractor, diesel,ROPS, 4wd, 3pt hitch, rear and mid PTO and a 2 range transmission which is a big bonus if you plan on doing any heavy work with the tractor. They are generally several hundred pounds heavier than the Super GTs at about 1400-1500lbs. Very similar in overall size but stronger built than a Gt as they are designed for doing heavier tasks.

• Alc said thank you

#12 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 12:28 PM

I am finding all kinds of these but they are always missing something. Like it will have a 60 in a loader and 4x4 but 25 horse. Found one that had everything except diesel or they are missing the rear three point. One thing I have learned is take your time and wait for the right deal. But I wanna be making my teaser videos lol.

#13 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:32 PM

I find a loader for this tractor up buy me but the bucket is a little rough and he wants 1400 for it. What's it really worth. I did not get pics of it it looks in good shape except the bucket.

#14 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:05 PM

New loaders can be had for 2200-2900. Used, 1400 is cheap.

The XL was never offered with a 25hp engine.

#15 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Yeah they are the older model before the xl