Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:11 PM

The other day I sprayed 2 coats ACE Red Oxide Primer and 2 coats ACE IH Red , last night  I cleaned out the mounting threads and cleaned any over spray that got inside the pulleys . Tonight did some mock ups to see how the belts would fit. The one that I had cut an old belt to length and measured was almost too short . Then mounted the arbor or mandrel as Sears calls it . The closest I had was the belt from the Tri-Trac's sickle bar(a B83 ) , might have to get one or two sizes smaller . Some where in it's life someone welded 1/2" shafts on the bottom of the cordwood saw frame for mounting wheels . I was going to cut them off but thought leaving it would be handy moving it around . I found some lawn mower plastic wheels that will work . I got Fern Green paint to paint the white parts , they are held on by hair pins so easily removed for shows or if I get brave enough to use it lol

You might notice white grease on areas of contact , I wanted to make sure the 4 day old paint wouldn't stick to each part  as I was assembling it

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1491.JPG
  • DSCN1492.JPG
  • DSCN1493.JPG
  • DSCN1494.JPG
  • DSCN1495.JPG

Edited by Alc, June 03, 2015 - 09:17 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 02:51 AM

That restoration looks great Al. Can I have it for my collection? :D
Or at least borrow your restoration services for a few years? :D

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, June 04, 2015 - 02:52 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 05:17 AM

Casey I'm sure your like me and it's  just so hard to find time to do all projects we have to do . "So many started so little finished "   lol

• wvbuzzmaster and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 05:50 AM

It looks good, Al!

#20 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Casey I'm sure your like me and it's  just so hard to find time to do all projects we have to do . "So many started so little finished "   lol

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have one of those saws I've been wanting to try out and make a video of. They're kind of bear to mount up since you have to remove a wheel and the kick stand. I haven't seen one in action yet. Right now the DBs are busy in the garden.

• Alc said thank you

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:03 AM

They're kind of bear to mount up since you have to remove a wheel and the kick stand.

I knew the kickstand has to be removed but didn't know the wheel has to come off , I thought there was something about the muffler on the Continental has to be removed too . I found a 1/2" rod to make the clutch rod out of . Tried cleaning the saw blade before work today but I was having trouble with the glassbead cabinet . The fellow that uses it the more isn't around today to ask questions   

#22 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Wasn't too bad to mount but I had to remove the wheel not to mount the frame work but to get the kick stand off , then put the wheel back on .  Two issues I have and hope someone can help . First is the clutch rod ,I'm missing it so will need to make one but lay a piece of 1/2" round stock to see how it will work  it looks like it doesn't go the same angle as the shaft on the clutch yoke .Maybe the part that slips over the yoke shaft has enough play so it doesn't matter ? I'll need to be sure so I can make it correctly .2nd is the blade guard , it uses three 5/16"  bolts , holes line up but because the way it's made it doesn't lay flat to the mandrel . I could put some washers as spacers but the manual doesn't mention anything like that . 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1496.JPG
  • DSCN1497.JPG
  • DSCN1498.JPG
  • DSCN1499.JPG
  • DSCN1500.JPG

• KennyP, shorty and Cat385B have said thanks

#23 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,948 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:47 PM

Looks good Al. 

#24 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:55 AM

Wasn't too bad to mount but I had to remove the wheel not to mount the frame work but to get the kick stand off , then put the wheel back on .  Two issues I have and hope someone can help . First is the clutch rod ,I'm missing it so will need to make one but lay a piece of 1/2" round stock to see how it will work  it looks like it doesn't go the same angle as the shaft on the clutch yoke .Maybe the part that slips over the yoke shaft has enough play so it doesn't matter ? I'll need to be sure so I can make it correctly .2nd is the blade guard , it uses three 5/16"  bolts , holes line up but because the way it's made it doesn't lay flat to the mandrel . I could put some washers as spacers but the manual doesn't mention anything like that . 

Maybe this will help.

Attached Thumbnails

• img027.jpg
  • img034.jpg
  • img036.jpg

Attached Files

• Alc said thank you

#25 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:23 AM

THANKS SO MUCH !!!!!!       I'll look for a 9/16" rod instead of 1/2" , Those bends should make it line up better . For now I'll get longer bolts for the blade guard and some flat washers. It took a few tries to get the ball-lock clutch adjusted right ( did it without the blade mounted ) by using my fingers to push the yoke on . I was afraid it wouldn't work because I wasn't sure if I lost one ball or not when I took it apart and the balls where pretty rusty .

#26 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Good luck on finding that 9/16 rod. I haven't found one. I figured I'd just make do with the 1/2 when I get a little more serious with mine. Your stuff is looking great!
  • Alc said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,485 Thanks
  • 39,719 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Good luck on finding that 9/16 rod. I haven't found one. I figured I'd just make do with the 1/2 when I get a little more serious with mine. Your stuff is looking great!

McMaster-Carr has them!

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:11 PM

Did a little more today .Painted with Rustoleum flat fern green paint that will do plastic for the 2 small wheelsonthe cordwood saw and for the single wheel used on the weedcutter , regular gloss fern green Rustoleum  .not happy with either color .Tried cleaning up the name plates , they don't look too bad . Don't know why the mounting bracket with the jack-shaft  has the name plate upside down ?  Mounted the blade guard ,once with washers as spacers but then it was crooked ,without the guard lined up better but the mounting not flush . Didn't over tighten them so I used lock nuts just in case .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1501.JPG
  • DSCN1502.JPG
  • DSCN1504.JPG
  • DSCN1505.JPG
  • DSCN1507.JPG
  • DSCN1508.JPG

• KennyP, Lauber1 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#29 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 05:58 AM

Kenny , went the Mc Master site then got me thinking that they opened a Fastenal store near my work .They also sell 9/16" rod stock doesn't look like its carried in stock ,I'll need to call tomorrow and see how they charge for non stock items
  • KennyP and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#30 equipguy OFFLINE  

equipguy

• Member No: 1869
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 08, 2015 - 08:40 AM

AL The saw and brush cutter look great!!
  • Alc said thank you