• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 woopud OFFLINE  

woopud

• Member No: 8500
  • 73 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:47 PM

I have a H14 XL that started but never stayed running last summer, had it parked outside all winter and just brought it in the garage last weekend and try to get it running right.  It turns over fine, have a spark and get's gas but won't start now.  Any ideas of what to check first?  What is the proper starting procedure meaning throttle and choke position?

Thanks in advance.

• Matthencix said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:59 PM

START pushing it out of garage and onto my trailer!  I'll take the trouble causer off your back. You close to Indiana?  :smilewink: Sure there isn't some safety switch not right? But, if you have spark, guess that is not issue?  About half throttle and full choke is norm. I have a B-80 Horse that you give a little throttle too, crank and just give the choke a quick up, then back down and it goes. Won't start on choke, or off before cranking, but that little lift and down move works every time. Might try pulling carb set screws out and spraying cleaners into holes and re-place the needles and set to generic settings and try. Old gas varnish's up and plugs small holes in carb if left long enough.

#3 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • Member No: 70540
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I know on my bolens, theres specific starting instructions on a label under the hood..

for the HT20 anyway you gotta remember to have the brake pedal depressed as yer crankin it over..

#4 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 376 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:01 AM

Try priming it. Pull the plug and dump a little gas in her.

#5 woopud OFFLINE  

woopud

• 73 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 05:29 AM

I will try the priming tonight and let you guy's know.

#6 woopud OFFLINE  

woopud

• 73 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:41 PM

It's running!  After several tries I got it started!  Took the carburetor off and did some cleaning although it wasn't really dirty, only problem is the idle it will stay running but after a while it will die unless I up the throttle a bit.  What are the proper adjustments on the carburetor?