• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • Member No: 70540
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 01:51 PM

So I want to see if I can fix this leak on my HT20..

It leaks down below under the engine; I thought about maybe getting some carb cleaner or what have you and spraying everything as clean  as I can get it, and see where its coming from, but something tells me itll just start dripping again from below.. 

This is my first go at anything tractor related; the engine doesnt smoke or anything of that sort; it just leaks some oil after each use.. Here is what I was able to get a picture of so far. 

Any tips- would be great.. if theres something I gotta tighten just lemme know where.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 3-1.JPG
  • photo 4-1.JPG
  • oilplug.JPG

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Download the manual  and start with the simple things. Oil filter, bolts holding on sheet metal covers, oil pans bolts, and anything that you can find to check that they are not loose. I still prefer washing it all first using a degreaser like Gunk. Good Luck, Rick

• bolensbolens said thank you

#3 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Good point, hopefully its not the oil pan gasket. maybe the guy before me just didnt tighten down the oil drain plug enough. Ill defnitely give it a degreasing first.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,142 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Check both ends of the engine as the main seal(s) could be leaking and they usually leak down by gravity which would show up under the oil pan.
  • WrenchinOnIt, boyscout862, karl and 1 other said thanks

#5 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 09:02 PM

Check both ends of the engine as the main seal(s) could be leaking and they usually leak down by gravity which would show up under the oil pan.

So I checked the bolts underneath, and everything was tight.  pic1

then I sprayed it all down with some carb cleaner. clean enough to eat off!! pic2

then I drove it some, and let it sit... and sure enough the lil leak returned.. pic3

it does seem to be coming from above the plate.. started to spray around the dipstick oil tube etc..

stumped what to do next.. hmmm... any and all advice is appreciated.. dont really see myself mowing until this is leak is fixed...... 

I think ill just get a bottle of 'gunk' and get into all the nooks and crannies as well.. blehhhhhhhhhhh  :poke:  :flamethrower:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5596.JPG
  • IMG_5599.JPG
  • ht20_drip2.JPG
  • ht20_drip4.JPG
  • ht20_drip1.JPG
  • ht20_drip3.JPG

Edited by bolensbolens, May 16, 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#6 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 09:31 PM

If you can't see it , then the way I see it you have some choices, keep on cleaning , years of oil filter changes can leave plenty of residual oil along the bottom of the engine and see if you get it, live with it, or... pull the engine, I'd say if it only shows up after running then something is probably loose like the bolts in the timing cover or you have a main seal leaking ,usually the rear one is the culprit .Upside to that is it can be changed externally.Downside is for either case engine will have to come out.
  • Paulgo and bolensbolens have said thanks

#7 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 09:46 PM

If you can't see it , then the way I see it you have some choices, keep on cleaning , years of oil filter changes can leave plenty of residual oil along the bottom of the engine and see if you get it, live with it, or... pull the engine, I'd say if it only shows up after running then something is probably loose like the bolts in the timing cover or you have a main seal leaking ,usually the rear one is the culprit .Upside to that is it can be changed externally.Downside is for either case engine will have to come out.

Yeah.. good points, I bought this HT20 because it came with the tiller/dozerblade/mowerdeck.. so I figured... after all these years thered be some gremlins waiting to greet me.. ;) ;) ..ill look at the service pdf and see where the timing cover bolts are, and give them a squeeze after I give the engine a further good de-gunking... what a hoot...

Edited by bolensbolens, May 16, 2015 - 09:48 PM.

#8 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 10:36 PM

There is a product that most auto parts stores carry that you can add to either gas or oil that will allow you to spot a leak source using a UV light. I got mine at Auto Zone and a small UV light from a "head" shop.

#9 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Interesting, yeah it would be great to neutralize the leak.. shakes fists at the gods :bounce: heh..heh..heh...

I had a brain fart earlier; it actually did leak when I was using it the first time I had hooked up the mower deck also; in case that helps any.

I remember groaning about it now since it had gotten on there..

I also wager, the previous owner(s) must have just let it be since a bunch of this caked on oil/grease looks like it was allowed to live for a good while..  :tapping_fingers:

Edited by bolensbolens, May 16, 2015 - 11:20 PM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#10 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 11:12 AM

To get to all of the timing gear cover bolts you'll have to pull the engine because most of them are behind the flywheel, something else to look at is the valve cover gaskets they dry out and leak, I just don't see them pushing enough oil out to see it on the bottom of the engine that quick. If you decide to go that route the air cleaner housing has to come off the carb, so you can get the heat shield off. ( If it's still on it) it would allow you to adjust the valves if needed as well. I agree with the assessment of the rear main seal , the fact that you're seeing oil so quickly after use. I have a K532 out now getting ready to wrench on it some if pics will help you I will happily supply you some.

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, May 17, 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#11 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 12:50 PM

To get to all of the timing gear cover bolts you'll have to pull the engine because most of them are behind the flywheel, something else to look at is the valve cover gaskets they dry out and leak, I just don't see them pushing enough oil out to see it on the bottom of the engine that quick. If you decide to go that route the air cleaner housing has to come off the carb, so you can get the heat shield off. ( If it's still on it) it would allow you to adjust the valves if needed as well. I agree with the assessment of the rear main seal , the fact that you're seeing oil so quickly after use. I have a K532 out now getting ready to wrench on it some if pics will help you I will happily supply you some.

indeed. those pics you have would be extremely helpful feel free to either PM to me or attach them in a post in this thread, so that future souls with bolens troubles may see how we overcame..... hahahah...

I have no reservations about pulling the engine I just need the pics on how to.. or a youtube vid..

I have basic tools at my disposal.. (sockets and a torque wrench) the only other project that comes close to this was when I installed a new B&S Engine on my craftsman.

#12 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Theoretically.. if a guy were to just replace the rear seal, could that be done in a day.. and could some of the equipment removal steps be skipped? I noticed theres the official way and then theres the cheats and tricks that people have grown up with etc that makes things go quicker.. when it comes to engines..

Time to go at it with some gunk remover.. wooo.....

I got the rear oil seal part # also..its 277065

http://www.oreillyau...&keyword=277065

would the polar ice caps reverse and hurl us into the sun, if I just went with that seal??  :deadhorse:  :thumbs:

Edited by bolensbolens, May 17, 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#13 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 02:28 PM

You won't know if it's a seal, gasket, or ? until you pull the engine.  Good luck!

#14 bolensbolens OFFLINE  

bolensbolens
  • 13 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:12 PM

So heres some new pics, now that the crud is cleaned off and dry ,you can see where the leaks are coming from.. after a lil ride .. its from the rear housing area theres that bolt and slightly above is some seepage..

Theres ol' burpy-- in the last pic.. previous owners added a yellow seat.. ewwwww!!!! ... ..had to throw a tshirt on it..

I was gonna buy a new seat, but I figured doin the maintenance was more important in the immediate sense... also came with an interesting 'exhaust' ?

Attached Thumbnails

• ht20_drip6.JPG
  • ht20_drip5.JPG
  • burpy.JPG

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:23 PM

I'm not that familiar with those engines. Could it be oil from the PCV breather or even oil leakage from a cracked cylinder or block. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: oil, leak, k532, ht20, weap, weaping