10 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 02:25 AM

326437 0252 01 on a 7016 6 speed

got the valve unstuck and new points . fired right up but it has a slight knocking rattle at low rpm . seems to go away at higher rpm . gonna put some marvel in it and see if it helps . I hear this engine is worth fixing so before I break it  I am coming to you guys for help . is  there  something common on this engine   that I should be looking for ? . what do you fine folks think ?

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,823 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 05:09 AM

If the valve was stuck it could be just that, a noisy valve not seating completely. Lap in both valves and see if the chatter goes away. Also check for valve guild wear or bent valve stem.

Running to work in a few so I will let the guys explain the details.

All the best.

• alec said thank you

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 2,873 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 05:49 AM

You sure it's not the valves? Every big block briggs I've had did have a bit of noise from the valves.It's a sharp clicky clack sound.And only noticeable at lower RPMs.

If the rod is worn it will have a very noticeable Knock at all RPMs and it will be worse when the engine is under any sort of slight load.It will sound like a wood pecker pecking on a hollow tree.

The connecting rod in them are darn near a foot long.They look monstrously HUGE when sat beside a 16hp Kohler rod. :rocker2:  

• alec said thank you

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 549 Thanks
  • 368 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 09:11 AM

OK , if its an opposed twin 16  , then more than likely your hearing the cam drive gear that's on the crankshaft . Cub Cadet 582's use the 16 hp opposed twin and the keyway on the cam drive gear that slides onto the drive shaft are prone to keyway wear and it causes a slight knock at lower RPM's . I've seen this on a few of the opposed 16's that I've rebuilt . I'm sure I've got a worn gear here that I can take pictures of if your not sure what I'm talking about .

Edited by Jlaws, May 12, 2015 - 09:21 AM.

• alec said thank you

#5 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 11:03 AM

You sure it's not the valves? Every big block briggs I've had did have a bit of noise from the valves.It's a sharp clicky clack sound.And only noticeable at lower RPMs.

If the rod is worn it will have a very noticeable Knock at all RPMs and it will be worse when the engine is under any sort of slight load.It will sound like a wood pecker pecking on a hollow tree.

The connecting rod in them are darn near a foot long.They look monstrously HUGE when sat beside a 16hp Kohler rod. :rocker2:  

it is questionable  . it smooths out at higher rpms . there is the valve ticking sound and a little extra ;

when I turn it over by hand there is a slight scraping sound once a revolution .

JLAWS... it is a single

Edited by alec, May 12, 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,180 Thanks
  • 2,873 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Did you have the blower housing off? The Magneto might be hanging up a bit if it's to tight to the flywheel.

• alec said thank you

#7 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 06:31 PM

Did you have the blower housing off? The Magneto might be hanging up a bit if it's to tight to the flywheel.

no its in the tractor still . it does kinda sound like its coming from that area though .

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,858 Thanks
  • 3,825 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 07:55 PM

Loose flywheel ?? Noel
  • alec said thank you

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Some video of my v twin it has some valve noise but that as quiet as your going to get its has head work and timing advance so it may sounds a little different

• alec said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,823 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 03:19 AM

no its in the tractor still . it does kinda sound like its coming from that area though .

Old school, cheap, tried and true method for the cast iron engines, many still laugh at me all day for this but then I find the problem and ram it up their @ss sideways. I check for loose valves and tune it on multi-cylinder engine this way too.

Use a long handle screw driver, put it over the spot the sound is coming from and put the handle into your ear and listen carefully moving the screwdriver to different spots. Both valves should sound like a sewing machine, intake will have slight pinging which is normal, exhaust is less because the gasses dampens the taping and of Stellite instead of harden/treated steel. Check the crank by placing the screwdriver by the PTO shaft seal, if the rod cap is loose it will knock after TDC due to rod return flex after compression stroke at low rpms. If the knock is pronounced when engine under load, weight of tractor driving up hill or spinning a mow deck then it is the rod cap or sometimes piston wrist pin.

Pull the head and check the valves as I stated in other post. Check rod cap to crank play while head is off and check head gasket, a leak will exhibit tapping/knocking sounds at low rpms.

Upload a video from a good camera or new smart phone for us to listen to.

Edited by trowel, May 13, 2015 - 03:21 AM.

• alec said thank you

#11 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 02:11 PM

cool !   :thumbs:  thanks trowel ! will be tryin that tonight !