#1 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:12 PM

I have my GE Elect-Trak 14 back together and running but did not reinstall the charger. I want to go with a more up to date charger that will do less damage to the batteries and help extend their life. Is anyone out there using a different charger and willing to share their knowledge. :D  :D   I also want to be able to install it in the same location as the original charger. Thanks.

• CharlesDes and angelzs69 have said thanks

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:52 PM

I wish I could help ya but I can't, I've used a golf cart charger pugged into the accessory outlet.

Hopefully someone else chimes up with some recommendations. 

• CRFarnsworth and Traill95 have said thanks

#3 newideas OFFLINE  

newideas
  • Member No: 8747
  • 9 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:08 PM

The original ferro chargers are much less efficient, but how much extra life will you get from the battery pack? I haven't  tried to upgrade the charger myself due to the cost, a 4 stage charger will still be  to match the number of cells in the battery pack.

Sayal had 2 -24 volt and I -12 volt marine 3 stage chargers for a good price.

• DH1, CRFarnsworth and Traill95 have said thanks

#4 Mr Electrak OFFLINE  

Mr Electrak

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1249
  • 121 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:50 PM

A good option is a modern solid state controller instead of the original timer. Check golf cart suppliers. I have seen a few websites and have also seen some on ebay.

Takes the inaccurate guesswork of the manual timer out of the equation.

You should be able to just remove the timer, and put the controller in the the same location.

Worth a try !

#5 Mr Electrak OFFLINE  

Mr Electrak

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1249
  • 121 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:57 PM

I should probably add that I use a stand alone golf cart charger with the automatic solid state controller for 2 of my E15's. I use the accessory plug as Doug described to charge them.

On another E15 I use a Landis controller ( made by Harry Landis of MA ) in place of the timer. In use for about 7-8 years with no issues, and a much cheaper alternative to the golf cart controller !

#6 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,729 Thanks
  • 2,248 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Since I sell golf cars, I can help you here. I sell DPI chargers, among others, those chargers are excellent. I would get one that has an anderson plug on the end, then do the same on your batteries end, then plug in. If you need one, I can ship. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

• DH1 and Traill95 have said thanks

#7 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:21 PM

I should probably add that I use a stand alone golf cart charger with the automatic solid state controller for 2 of my E15's. I use the accessory plug as Doug described to charge them.

On another E15 I use a Landis controller ( made by Harry Landis of MA ) in place of the timer. In use for about 7-8 years with no issues, and a much cheaper alternative to the golf cart controller !

I am a little confused on using the Accessory plug. don't you have to have the key turned on and the plug switch in the on position also?

#8 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 03:15 PM

I am a little confused on using the Accessory plug. don't you have to have the key turned on and the plug switch in the on position also?

I think you are referring to the PTO plug.  The accessory plug is behind the PTO plug (towards the dash).  It's the two pole Hubbell twist-lock plug.  It's always hot.  It's a good auxillary charging port.  I have a backup charger set up to use that if my onboard charger dies.

• Traill95 said thank you

#9 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I think you are referring to the PTO plug.  The accessory plug is behind the PTO plug (towards the dash).  It's the two pole Hubbell twist-lock plug.  It's always hot.  It's a good auxillary charging port.  I have a backup charger set up to use that if my onboard charger dies.

Thanks for the info I will check mine out to see if it is hot, and then probably use it to charge my batteries. Don't know why I didn't check it to begin with. Oldtimers I guess. :D