- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 twostacks OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:49 AM

Very glad she's ok. I went thru the same ordeal back in December with my 18 year old son and I got the same 35 mph story. He hit ice at night and put the car into a concrete barrier backwards. That 35 mph accident completely totaled a very nice little car. It later came out that he was doing much faster. Again, I'm glad she's ok and I fully agree with the seat belts. I always ask my kids "what's it gonna hurt if you wear them and what's it gonna hurt if you don't?"

• Little Irish Men, juliannegu3 and jessicayh4 have said thanks

#17 Jazz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62028
  • 1,355 Thanks
  • 890 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 03:01 PM

GEEEZ How big is a possum!  Glad she's okay.. good thing that was not a Model A she was driving..Best thing about the good ol' days is they are gone!  Fact is  parents who taught their children to drive have the highest accident rates . 

• Little Irish Men said thank you

#18 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,778 Thanks
  • 4,289 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 03:26 AM

In Indiana it is against the law to text & drive.

I see 4-6 people a day driving & texting...why can't the police see this?? I don't have that good of vision!!

Seeing is one thing.  Proving it in court is another world.  A vehicle cannot be stopped and the phone checked just because an officer thinks he saw them texting.  Don't work that way.

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 12, 2015 - 09:57 AM

3 million+ safe miles taught me Never swerve to miss an animal...
brake, and grip the steering wheel tightly.

And even then there are no garantees. Ive had two wrecks that would have been less severe had there been guardrails in place. One was black ice and the other was hitting a deer. Both events were in turns and both times left the road and found trees... Seat belt kept me where I needed to be to walk away.

#20 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted March 03, 2016 - 12:20 PM

A state trooper friend of mine while working the Interstate running unmarked would catch a trucker speeding.  After the stop the radar detector would still be on the cash in operation.  Electronic Kleenex boxes were real popular.  He would only ask one question.  "Do you want a ticket for speeding or would you rather put that radar detector in front of you wheel and drive off?"  Very rarely would they take the ticket.  If they mouthy, they got both, and then made to pick up the pieces.  Ah, it used to fun.  Then politics got involved and told us that was a no-no.  Had to open the door to get a drunk out from behind the wheel.  Couldn't use the window as an escape hatch any more.

So someone who is making a living driving makes a mistake and that's "fun" to make them drive over their radar detector or do something to punish them?  I find it fun when I'm able to teach my high school students to know what their rights are so when they're profiled because of their age or something along that line they know just what do during a traffic stop where a cop is trying to have "fun" with them.  Knowledge is power and sharing that knowledge is rewarding.

Edited by jpswift1, March 03, 2016 - 12:21 PM.

#21 Titus OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,699 Thanks
  • 2,222 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 03:52 PM

We recently lost a 18 y/o girl in town, who's drunk b/f decided to drive very fast down Rt2. Rolled over, tossed her from the pass seat. She was DOA. The other three, two are on life support and the driver, oh he'll physically survive, but his life is over. 15+ in the slammer, all because of a poor decision. No seat belts were worn.

Edited by Titus, March 11, 2016 - 03:53 PM.