Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:25 PM

IMG_4955 (1).JPG

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

This is my oldest daughter Katherine(21) car,after she rolled it 4 1/2 times , trying to avoid a possum . She said" dad i was only going 35 to 40 mph ", well the Missouri state trooper told me that she was going over 60 or so. Well it doesn't matter she did lived through it and spent 2 days in the hospital she was just banged up really bad . I am posting this for all the young ones out there getting reading to drive and the ones that are driving Please wear your seat belt. The state trooper told me that the seat belt is what kept her in the car and alive.

Patrick

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 42 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:41 PM

After over 30 years in Law Enforcement the two comments most used after an accident are "I was only going about 35" (something magic about that number) and "I swerved to miss a deer".  Every cars need a jamming device that automatically jams all cell phone signals as soon as the ignition key is inserted.  How many accident would that prevent and lives would be saved.

• Gtractor, hamman, lyall and 16 others have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:47 PM

Chieffan, amen.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,399 Thanks
  • 39,659 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:48 PM

After over 30 years in Law Enforcement the two comments most used after an accident are "I was only going about 35" (something magic about that number) and "I swerved to miss a deer".  Every cars need a jamming device that automatically jams all cell phone signals as soon as the ignition key is inserted.  How many accident would that prevent and lives would be saved.

I agree on that cell phone deal. You see so many folks speeding and swapping lanes to pass slower vehicles and all the time chatting away!

• tinbender7, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 580 Thanks
  • 451 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:52 PM

3 million+ safe miles taught me Never swerve to miss an animal...
brake, and grip the steering wheel tightly.
  • Gtractor, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 9 others have said thanks

#6 Little Irish Men ONLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 661 Thanks
  • 385 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:00 PM

chieffan i agreed  100% on the cell phone , but we check her phone and she was not on it but that on excuse for her driving.

Patrick

• hamman, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:01 PM

I'm right there with you ! I can't  count the number of accidents I policed over 28 years that started with " I was only going ........ ". Now with cell phones and such it's much worse. Need some way to stop calling and texting while driving. Patrick, glad you daughter wasn't hurt worse than she was.  I have told all my kids that unless it's a Deer or Bear ( ya we have a lot of bear where we live ) don't brake hard or swerve to miss an animal. They are small and they will normally not cause the vehicle to leave the road.  Glad to hear she is doing well.                                                                                                           Roger

• tinbender7, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 4 others have said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:53 PM

In Indiana it is against the law to text & drive.

I see 4-6 people a day driving & texting...why can't the police see this?? I don't have that good of vision!!

• hamman, tinbender7, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#9 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Just glad she lived.

• hamman, tinbender7, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,145 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:26 PM

In Indiana it is against the law to text & drive.

I see 4-6 people a day driving & texting...why can't the police see this?? I don't have that good of vision!!

We need more unmarked vehicles so they can holler "entrapment" more.  If they do get caught the officer usually has to have a search warrant to get the phone to prove it.   A state trooper friend of mine while working the Interstate running unmarked would catch a trucker speeding.  After the stop the radar detector would still be on the cash in operation.  Electronic Kleenex boxes were real popular.  He would only ask one question.  "Do you want a ticket for speeding or would you rather put that radar detector in front of you wheel and drive off?"  Very rarely would they take the ticket.  If they mouthy, they got both, and then made to pick up the pieces.  Ah, it used to fun.  Then politics got involved and told us that was a no-no.  Had to open the door to get a drunk out from behind the wheel.  Couldn't use the window as an escape hatch any more.

• Gtractor, hamman, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,305 Thanks
  • 4,658 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:54 PM

I'm living testimony of the seat belt's ability to save lives.  I rolled a car over (after suffering a seizure) and also had another serious accident.  A few broken bones but still alive to tell about it..  Take a look @ this video and share it with your young drivers PLEASE..  It can wait until later..  If you are behind the wheel you gotta concentrate on your driving FIRST!!

Click HERE

• hamman, tinbender7, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#12 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,807 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 08:33 PM

glad your daughter got out of that alive !!!  scary stuff rite there.  we had to start buckling when my daughter got big enough to talk back, kind of hard to yell at her to buckle up when you yourself don't.  of course she is always super quick to point it out to us when we don't !!  kids most often are the best things to happen to us.

Pete

• hamman, boyscout862 and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#13 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 08:53 PM

I was a volunteer firefighter long ago when I was a young man. We ran wrecks. Every accident that i worked, except one, involved a drunk driver. Now it's texting and talking on the phone. A girl in the next town over was WALKING and texting, stepped out in front of a car. Now the poor soul that hit her, through no fault of their own, is carrying the burden around that they hit a person and they died.

Around here they are starting to put state troopers in the passenger seat of DOT trucks. When they see some one texting, they radio ahead and the driver is pulled and ticketed. No ifs, ands or buts. Cry entrapment if they wish. They broke the law.

It reminds me of a kid I worked with that kept getting speeding tickets. Said it wasn't fair. I told him I knew a sure fire way to never get another speeding ticket. He was so arrogant he didn't see my miracle solution coming. Same rule applies to texting and driving and tickets.

Glad your daughter is ok.
  • hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,261 Thanks
  • 28,604 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:50 PM

Glad she will be OK.
  • hamman, wvbuzzmaster and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#15 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 11:13 PM

glad she is okay.

here in Iowa we have a hands free law.  no texting and no cell phone in your hand.  you need a ear piece to talk on a cell phones.  Very few obey the hands free law.

When the hands free law come into effect my manager made sure I had a ear piece and used it.

I designed Iowa roads for about 20 years and 16+ years as a computer tech.

You can only design the roads so safe.  We used a design speed of 65 mph on the interstate and state roads were designed at 55 mph, with a 15% error factor.

And people think they are on the German autobon and speed does not matter

Edited by lyall, May 11, 2015 - 11:14 PM.

• hamman and Little Irish Men have said thanks