49 replies to this topic

#46 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 01:04 PM

The other thought to consider is that many corporations are moving towards the "cloud" which is not OS dependent.  Case in point -We have Google for non-profits at the church and are moving to Google Docs and away from MS Office.  Other than some of the quirks of adapting to Google Docs functionality, it works well for 95% of the stuff we do.  I regularly author on a Mac or PC and then edit from a Mac, PC, or even the Linux machine at home without a bit of problems.  The other great thing about Google Docs is that changes are immediate and the doc can be open on multiple machines at the same time.  

Me thinks the winds of change are blowing hard and Win10 is an attempt to hold onto enterprise market share.

Edited by Trav1s, August 05, 2015 - 01:05 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#47 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 01:55 PM

The other thought to consider is that many corporations are moving towards the "cloud" which is not OS dependent.  Case in point -We have Google for non-profits at the church and are moving to Google Docs and away from MS Office.  Other than some of the quirks of adapting to Google Docs functionality, it works well for 95% of the stuff we do.  I regularly author on a Mac or PC and then edit from a Mac, PC, or even the Linux machine at home without a bit of problems.  The other great thing about Google Docs is that changes are immediate and the doc can be open on multiple machines at the same time.  

Me thinks the winds of change are blowing hard and Win10 is an attempt to hold onto enterprise market share.

That is a very good point I had not really thought about.  I use the cloud to store all my equipment manuals so I can access them on what every computer or device I may be on.  So using Google docs makes good sense.

#48 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Any machine that has a browser of any flavor works.  Chrome integrates well (imagine that) but use Safari on Macs and Firefox on anything else.  

#49 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 10:24 PM

Sounds to me that if your not deep into computers, or under 25 YO, your lost out in no mans land with no hope of finding a way home. The industry keeps changing all the time and those of us who have no desire to become deeply involved in the computer world are SOL. I am one of them. I have a lot better things to do than sit at a computer half the day trying to learn new stuff just to "keep up with the Jones's ". What ever happened to KISMIF ? Keep It Simple Make It Fun. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Old school thoughts but they worked for 3/4 of a century so why do we need all this other stuff threw in to make things complicated? ? I am not against progress, but not all progress is a good thing. At least not for all of us. All I want is a good BASIC operating machine that will do what I want when I want. All this cloud, jail, etc. stuff is a bunch of hogwash that is not necessary, but some have to have to "keep up with the Jones's".

#50 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,165 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 13, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Just got a notice from DISH our internet provider that we have used 100% of our anytime usage.  First time in over 2 years that has happened.  Have used 80% or so but we still have a week to go on our service period.  Quick call to my Tech man and he said he is running into a lot of that the last couple months.  Seems that when Microsoft sends out an update it includes a bunch of Windows 8 or 10 crap, depending on what your running, and it burns up a lot of data that you don't even know about.  All loaded in the background on your computer.  When you make the mistake and agree to go up a notch, the program is already there and no wait time.  Good old Microsoft, steeling from us any way they can.  Wish I had the smarts and time to go a different route.  Getting real tired of windows ever since I got 7 and their Live Mail on this system.

Edited by chieffan, August 13, 2015 - 02:47 PM.