• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 07:39 AM

I am wondering if you have some malware or Trojans on that rig.

That's what I am wondering!

• laurarg3 said thank you

#32 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 11:18 AM

From you description I would suspect an issue with DLL incompatibility.  A DLL is a Dynamic Link library, a file that contains certain functions or procedures that are used by various applications.  What happens is that sometimes when you install a new (to you) application it uses certain DLL's that my be either an older version or newer version then what you have installed.  Usually you end up installing an older version and so now other applications are trying to use this older version which may have a different entry point or different parameters and the newer applications get lost and end up crashing.  We call this DLL h_LL.  One of the big problems is that Windows it's self probably uses the DLL which then compounds the problem and windows now can't function.

BSD had a nice solution to this, they have what is called a Jail and you as a user can create them and install applications.  What they do is isolate any files installed in the jail from the OS and any other applications so you don't run in to this problem.  An example would be to install your browser in a Jail.  You can do everything you normally do but is you should encounter a nasty it can't do anything.

From your post I would say you are coming do for a reinstall.

• MH81 said thank you

#33 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 08:42 PM

This discussion makes me consider trying the beta of 10 but the lowly old laptop I have for it gets a bit cranky. Maybe it will be an improvement.  In many ways I see upgrading all Windoze users for free is much cheaper in the long run for M$ as it reduces the versions to support.  

Picked up an older Dell Studio Core 2 Quad 2.2 ghz, 4 gb of ram and 250 GB WD hd at the local computer recycler for $70 (NO OS but originally a Vista box) and installed the Win10 preview on it this afternoon.  I have been running Mint on it for the past couple days before the Win10 install.  The current build 10,xxx is an improvement of the other version that I downloaded but feel like W10 is just a bunch of unnecessary flash.

Edited by Trav1s, June 23, 2015 - 08:46 PM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#34 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 25, 2015 - 09:28 PM

The build my machine is running is 10130

#35 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted July 03, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Today I got message to update iOS 8.4 on my iPhone. I went to the terms and conditions agreement..I scrolled through it..must be about 75 pages long. Nobody reads it but I did point out to a few people who click the agree button that there is a annual fee of $500 dollars and its a 10 year contract.

Now I have heard back from a couple people who are reading it word for word trying to find this information,,,i was just making the point that nobody reads fine print,,well unless they are motivated...

Edited by Jazz, July 03, 2015 - 04:13 PM.

• MH81, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#36 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:34 PM

The Win10 machine updated to 10162 build tonight.  I will let you know about it when I have some time to mess around with it.

#37 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 11:23 AM

If they are serious this will lead more people to the Linux and OS X alternatives.  I keep a Win7 machine around just to have... but that would go away in the future.  

Its getting easier and easier to do the few things only windows can do on a linux based machine.  The only thing stopping everyone from switching to linux is fear of change and the business world not being compatible currently.

#38 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 04:48 PM

I have been off windows for years.  The only time I have any thing to do with windows is when the wife computer acts up which is quite often. :wallbanging:  

If businesses would adopt the open document format then they could share documents with out any issues but M$ has everyone convinced that office and their formats is the only way to go.  It reminds me of the VHS verses Beta issue years ago.  The heard went with VHS but the beta format was a much better format. But let the masses shell out the big $$$ and make Gates and the rest of them rich.  Over the last I have had to pay $0 for all the software I use,  I do make donations to certain projects, and I'm assured that when I install an application that it is free of the crap windows users have to endure. 

Actually I hope the masses don't adopt Linux because then the low level scum will turn there attention to it. 

• Trav1s said thank you

#39 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 08:22 PM

We are using GoogleDocs at the church which have much to offer as well as meeting the M$ format demand.  Not perfect but still a great option, especially for a user who plays with multiple platforms in multiple locations.

#40 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Running build 10640 which I believe is the RTM - I have installed a bunch of 7/8.1 software without a problem.  Still not sure on the interface but is an improvement over 8.1.

#41 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 05:30 PM

Just had another problem with windows 7. Would not let me complete any form of any kind. Not even on this site like this reply. 2 hours and $20 later the tch found a couple corrupt files, Jave and Adobe/ Reinstalled them it is back working somewhat again. then to night I found we lost a whole folder of the granddaughters photos for the last 4.5 years. Thanks windows 7, just what I wanted. Replaced the folder as I knew where I could retrieve 3 or 4 of the last photos but would it let me put them in that folder. Heck no. Said I did not have permission to put them there. Just who's computer is this anyway ? ? Getting to where I almost hate to turn this piece of crap on any more.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration but it don't change my mind about Windows 7 or anything else about it.

Adobe caused me to have to reformat my entire H/D and start again from scratch earlier this year!!  Other programs were non-updateable as well.  Every time I tried to uninstall/ reinstall Adobe it crashed and would not work at all..  After trying many variations and deleting some .dll files I thought were holding me up I gave in, backed up everything and flushed the toilet.  

**Advice:  If /when you install Adobe flash or reader, DO not enable the auto-update and steer clear of the banner ads that say you need to do ANY type of update.  Go directly to Oracle.com and update Adobe there.  I always go to the source website and upload there and I usually stay out of trouble..  

Guys, I'm interested to know the details of how/ where to get Linux or see how it works in relation to Winders if you don't mind.  I've heard many times that folks rave about it but other than that I am really Linux ignorant..  Any pointers or info for us glass dummies?

#42 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 18, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Adobe caused me to have to reformat my entire H/D and start again from scratch earlier this year!!  Other programs were non-updateable as well.  Every time I tried to uninstall/ reinstall Adobe it crashed and would not work at all..  After trying many variations and deleting some .dll files I thought were holding me up I gave in, backed up everything and flushed the toilet.  

**Advice:  If /when you install Adobe flash or reader, DO not enable the auto-update and steer clear of the banner ads that say you need to do ANY type of update.  Go directly to Oracle.com and update Adobe there.  I always go to the source website and upload there and I usually stay out of trouble..  

Guys, I'm interested to know the details of how/ where to get Linux or see how it works in relation to Winders if you don't mind.  I've heard many times that folks rave about it but other than that I am really Linux ignorant..  Any pointers or info for us glass dummies?

There has been a lot of talk about Adobe flash on the tech forums.  If you use Firefox and update it you will notice that Flash is disabled and that is because, from what I understand, that the developers for Firefox are tried of waiting for Adobe to fix a security flaw in flash that will allow access to your computer.  Not sure where this is going to go.  I think Flash will be obsolete before to long as HTML 5 take hold.

To answer your question about Linux, I think would direct you to Distro Watch, they have a listing and ranking for all the Linux Distros that are available and links to their home sites.  Since you are new to Linux I would recommend you stay away from the BSD OS and The Gentoo and Arch distros and there siblings.  Reason being is they are for more the tech savvy person who wants to compile and build a custom OS of their choosing and design.  I would recommend Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mint, Zorn, KUbuntu, LXLE or any of the Ubuntu siblings. Most any of these are fairly easy to install and have you up and running in no time.

A couple of things to keep in mind. 1: All your software that you may need will be in a repository, each distro will have a software manager of some kind that will connect to the repository and give you a list of available software packages.  You can install software you find on the net but it is not advisable. If you see a package you would like post to the distro forum and ask for it to be added to the repository.  This way you are insured of keeping a clean system. 2: Unlike Windows you do not run in Administrative mode.  This mean if you want to do anything with the OS it's self then depending on which flavor distro you choose you will have to use a password before it will allow you to do anything.  There are two different schools of thought on this, the original way is that you have two accounts one being ROOT the main administrative account which has it's own password.  The other is a Sudo Root account that allows you to use your own password to do administrative issues.  I prefer the Root way that give an extra layer of security. 3: Most Linux Distros are built on Choice which means there is more then one way to get from point A to point B so when you go on the distro forum and ask for help you may get two or more ways to accomplish what ever it is you are trying to do.  The other thing is there is usually more apps to choose from that do the same thing but may do it a bit differently so you can choose which one you like best.

I know this may sound like a lot but it really isn't.  Once you get it installed and start playing around with it before long you will be doing things with out thinking.  One other thing is you can DL any of the ISO images for the distro burn it to a CD or DVD and then Boot off it with out ever installing it to see if you like it.  Just remember any changes that you make will not be saved if you are running off the disc drive.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

• KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#43 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:36 AM

I am wondering if you have some malware or Trojans on that rig.

I run the anti Malware program regularly.  Same with the antivirus.  Neither have come up with anything that could be a problem.  Will get several of the PUP. ****** stuff occasionally.  For the last few weeks it has settled down and has been running OK after the tech got a couple more things straightened out.  But still not happy with how 7 works or the Live Mail bit but guess I am stuck with it. Afraid to try anything new at this point as my patience level is not anywhere where it used to be and I have to many big hammers around.  Remember the old Commodore Vic 20's?  Never had any problem with them and I run the score board at a local dirt track with one for a few years.

#44 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 04:40 AM

Its getting easier and easier to do the few things only windows can do on a linux based machine.  The only thing stopping everyone from switching to linux is fear of change and the business world not being compatible currently.

I agree and that is why I am not ready to change to Linux.  If the business world is not compatible, what good is it really except between Linux users?

#45 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 11:30 AM

I agree and that is why I am not ready to change to Linux.  If the business world is not compatible, what good is it really except between Linux users?

Sorry but I disagree.  There are a lot of businesses running Linux and in fact most of the world super computers are running a form of Linux or Unix.  The Main issue for business has been document format and in the last few years that has been pretty much solved with the number of office suites available.  Once upon a time  Linux and UNIX was difficult to use but today's distros once installed are easier to deal with then windows.  Plus if you look at the features in each windows release since XP you will see more and more Linux features Like the rolling release that windows 10 will have.  The biggest draw back for Linux is the hardware drivers.

I think when the current young generation gets to the decision making point in their careers where they determine what technology is used I believe Apple and Unix based systems will the the systems of choice.  Look at what the kids are using today, Apple or Android and both are UNIX based.