49 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:12 PM

BTW I have been running win 10 preview since January.It's faster and more stable than win 8.1 so far.Win 8 and 8.1 is much faster than 7 ever was.

Win 8 was a bit wonky with the app crap,no start menu and it used [WDDM] Windows Display Driver Model 1.1 and that was designed to be used with Win 7 ONLY but they did have a 1.2 Update.1.1 caused ALOT of driver incompatibility problems in win 8.

Win 7 was great at the time but required more Memory usage.

Win 8.1 has great memory management and driver compatibility but still has a slightly Wonky Start menu.

Win 10 has a fully customizable start menu and so far it does everything I need it to.

This discussion makes me consider trying the beta of 10 but the lowly old laptop I have for it gets a bit cranky. Maybe it will be an improvement.  In many ways I see upgrading all Windoze users for free is much cheaper in the long run for M$ as it reduces the versions to support.  

• HDWildBill and laurarg3 have said thanks

#17 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:30 PM

As far as I am concerned they should have stayed with XP. Run excellent for several years but they never can leave well enough alone. I had to have newer system built about a month an half ago to get rid of XP as it was not compatible with a lot of "new" stuff anymore. Got Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail and I hate both of them. Haven't yet figured out how to add a contact to my imported list in email. Sending messages with an attachment is a real pain if you want to add more than one as it don't remember where it has been. Their help section sucks to say the least. When I try to download a file it puts it where ever it darn well pleases and If I don't write down where it wants to put it, it is lost in memory some stupid place. Am I happy with the Windows 7? No way in H _ _ _ ! Only the computer nerds are going to get any good out of anything that any of the companies come up with. The common every day user is just SOL.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#18 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Apps use repository method as you seen in win 8 and 8.1 windows store.It's like buying an APP on your smart phone.It works alot like the Package Manager on Ubuntu 12.04.That used a "Software Center" that worked like the "Store App" on win 8 and 8.1.

Applications install the same way as all previous versions of windows.Don't worry it's quite user friendly.

Thanks.  I had heard that was what they were going to do.  Now if users would just stick to the repository like in Linux then a lot of the crapware will not be an issue.

As for me, I will stay with Linux. I already have a rolling release OS.  All my apps are free and I don't have to run and pay for anti-virus, malware protection.  Plus I get great help if I need it.  The only interest I have in Windows is to know enough to help my friends when the BOSD shows it's head.

• lyall and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:07 PM

As far as I am concerned they should have stayed with XP. Run excellent for several years but they never can leave well enough alone. I had to have newer system built about a month an half ago to get rid of XP as it was not compatible with a lot of "new" stuff anymore. Got Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail and I hate both of them. Haven't yet figured out how to add a contact to my imported list in email. Sending messages with an attachment is a real pain if you want to add more than one as it don't remember where it has been. Their help section sucks to say the least. When I try to download a file it puts it where ever it darn well pleases and If I don't write down where it wants to put it, it is lost in memory some stupid place. Am I happy with the Windows 7? No way in H _ _ _ ! Only the computer nerds are going to get any good out of anything that any of the companies come up with. The common every day user is just SOL.

What browser are you using to dl a file?  There should be a setting in the preferences that will allow you to place the file in a folder of your choosing.

#20 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Now if users would just stick to the repository like in Linux then a lot of the crapware will not be an issue.

LOL there's exactly the Only problem I'm worried about.Alot of these Apps will be bundled with "Optional Crap" such as search engines,codec packs,and other browser add Ons.

Even MajorGeeks has them in most of they're newer files.Heck even Flashplayer and Adobe reader trys to get you to install McAfee. This bundling crap is really getting out of hand.

I've been messing with PCs since DOS 1.1 came out back in the early 80s.Haven't messed with MAC OS much,Linux and me don't get along. I do however have Ubuntu MATE on my old laptop and it likes it.PCs and Small engines are my favorite things in life lol

Edited by EricFromPa, May 11, 2015 - 07:05 PM.

#21 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Yea, I started around '84 with DOS but what caught my attention was working with Database's.  I started with DBase III and after retiring from the Navy made a nice career working with them. 

I started playing around with Linux around 2001 - 2002 when I got fed up with Windows and their spyware of Genuine Windows crap.  At first it was ruff getting hardware to work and working through issues but over the years Linux has come a long way and in so many ways it out shines Window's IMO.  I used Ubuntu for a while but when they introduced Unity and then brought Amazon into the search engine I decided to start looking around. 

We don't have to deal much with the bundling issue since all our apps are packaged up by volunteers for the distro your using.  If I want a certain app that is not in the repository then I simply ask for it to be added.  Very seldom to I install an app that is not in the repository and even then I check to see who has been using it and what they have to say about it. 

• lyall said thank you

#22 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 11:46 PM

Win$ows will always be a money pit.

You paid for the OS than pay for all the additional software to keep it clean and safe ( anti-virus, malware, spyware, etc), you think.

MS likes people to develop software code in Unix and Linux, then they try to add it into win$ows.  But the OS is not secure, like Unix and Linux.  they have been using code from Unix and Linux since the days of DOS

#23 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:23 AM

What browser are you using to dl a file?  There should be a setting in the preferences that will allow you to place the file in a folder of your choosing.

What ever comes with Windows 7.  We were running Firefox on the old system and like it and got along real good with it.  I think it is on IE now with Win7 installed.  Same with the email program, used Outlook but now have this stupid Windows Live Mil.  Never see any preference or anything like that.  When I click on DOWNLOAD I get a window at the bottom that asks for SAVE or OPEN. I select save and it is done.  Then the hunt begins and if I don't get the name of the file wrote down to know what to search for - - - .  If you don't know the name of the file or where it is saved to your pretty much left in the dark as to where it is at.  After several times of that I now select OPEN.  From there I can get it to where I want it, not where Windows want to put it.  What happened to user friendly?  If your not a computer nerd your at there mercy and just fumble along with what ever they throw at you.

#24 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 09:54 AM

You can install Firefox on a windows 7 PC.  In fact I recommend it because I think it is safer.  I basically use web mail accounts so I'm not familiar with the live Media but I did use outlook for many years so I think you may be happy with Thunderbird.  It is not exactly like outlook but you can do many of the same things and it is pretty easy to use.  Thunderbird is by Mozilla the same folks who produce Firefox. 

As far as downloads with IE goes you can got to the gear icon on the right hand side of the window and click on it.  You will see a menu option "View downloads".  Click on it and then you can work with them from there.  As an alternative you can just simply hit the key combination of Ctrl + J and that will open the window as well.  I looked in the internet options and did not see where you can change where IE puts the file but if your installation is like my wifes then if you will open up the file manager (windows explorer) and then look under favorites at the top you should see a folder named Download and that is where IE put her files.  I would think yours would be the same.

i do recommend you installing another browser like Firefox, Chrome or pale moon.  Pale moon is just like Firefox with out the blot so it runs faster and you don't get the AD's you do in the latest Firefox.  Hope this helps ya.

• chieffan said thank you

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 03:32 AM

I despise Google Chrome and Firefox, many of us do but it seems it will be forced onto us regardless.

#26 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:42 AM

Every time I try reading this computer stuff it makes me feel so dumb , I have no clue what your talking about lol . At least if all my home computers fail I'll still be able to use the one here at work , I think lol

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#27 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Every time I try reading this computer stuff it makes me feel so dumb , I have no clue what your talking about lol . At least if all my home computers fail I'll still be able to use the one here at work , I think lol

Don't  feel like the lone Ranger Alc.  All this talk about Apps, repositiries, etc. etc. is all hog wash to me too.  Our local computer guy don't like Firefox so he won't mess with it.  He is sucked into Windows so everything he puts out has windows on it and that is what I am stuck with. 

Do have firefox on and running but the favorites/bookmarks are a lot harder to get to now thatn the were.  Also put Thunderbird on but don't get any email on it or none of the olde ones show up.  Didn't see any way to add names to any contact list either so not to sure about that one just yet either.  And they call this stuff user friendly ? ?  To WHO ? ?  Certainly not the common user.

#28 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 07:56 AM

I finally got ONE message to come up on Thunderbird.  Have not found any address book and local folders are not there either.  I think this one is about to get trashed too.  So much for 'user friendly'.

#29 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 08:18 PM

Just had another problem with windows 7. Would not let me complete any form of any kind. Not even on this site like this reply. 2 hours and $20 later the tch found a couple corrupt files, Jave and Adobe/ Reinstalled them it is back working somewhat again. then to night I found we lost a whole folder of the granddaughters photos for the last 4.5 years. Thanks windows 7, just what I wanted. Replaced the folder as I knew where I could retrieve 3 or 4 of the last photos but would it let me put them in that folder. Heck no. Said I did not have permission to put them there. Just who's computer is this anyway ? ? Getting to where I almost hate to turn this piece of crap on any more.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration but it don't change my mind about Windows 7 or anything else about it.

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,586 posts

Posted June 20, 2015 - 06:47 AM

I am wondering if you have some malware or Trojans on that rig.
  • chieffan said thank you