• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hi all, a little over a yr ago I repowered one of my Suburban ST16's with a B&S opposed twin 18 hp engine it is a great engine except it uses a lot of oil so the plan was to overhaul it this past winter well I got busy with other projects and the overhaul didn't get done, then in early April I seen a CL ad with 4 engines 3 Kohler's and a twin B&S, the Briggs was suppose to run well after I got it home I noticed a hole in the front PTO cover and one mount leg was broken off, no biggy I had a parts engine so I replaced the parts and was ready to see if it would run. I've wanted an engine test / run stand for sometime so I figured this was the time so I built a stand and mount the B&S on it cranked it over checked for spark then squirted a bit of gas in the carb and she was running till the squirt of gas was used up. Removed the carb top and cleaned and checked the needle and seat cleaned the main jet and cranked again it fired up and ran nice fine tuned the card and its ready to go I'll be installing it in the Suburban.

HPIM2034.JPG HPIM2036.JPG HPIM2037.JPG HPIM2038.JPG HPIM1495.JPG HPIM1493.JPG

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, GTTinkerer and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 01:51 PM

very nice stand, I need to and have been thinking about building one myself. :thumbs: Why the wood, vibration or just what you had available? :wave:

BTW, GREAT looking Sears sitting there!!

• rustyoldjunk, boyscout862, bbuckler and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 01:56 PM

I like your test stand! Tractor too. Wood is good as you can easily drill holes to attach the engine to. Got the fuel tank high enough to work well too. Good job!

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 04:46 PM

I find the best test stand to be a stripped down tractor frame, all the stuff you need is already there. Leave the wheels on so you can move it around easy.

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse and KennyP have said thanks

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:02 PM

Hi thanks all, yea the wood is easy to drill for different engine types and also helps with vibrations, I need to cut a large diameter to mount vertical shaft engines, and I'm trying figure a way to mount the control panel so engine vibrations do effect it, its not real bad but would like it if there were less vibs. Yes I thought about using an old tractor chassis but my back does not like being  bent over now days and with the added height makes it so much easier mount the engines and to sit on a stool and observe whats happening with the engine.

Forgot to say I got the 16 HP engine installed in S5 my SB16 and it is operating good, was out for a short test drive it was raining so didn't go for long, it suppose to stop raining tomorrow so I'll give it a long test run. I really like the B&S opposed twins I like t5he way they start and run so nice and with 2 short mufflers they sound good.

Edited by MNGB, May 11, 2015 - 06:59 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and Genem have said thanks

#6 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Nice, I built a test panel for mine, I now want to build a roll cart to add this to like yours.

http://www.mytractor...trol-panel.html

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks

#7 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 980 Thanks
  • 821 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hi Larrybl, nice control panel, I need to make a throttle and choke mounting. Thanks for posting the link.

• larrybl said thank you

#8 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,938 Thanks
  • 3,320 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 10:14 PM

I even have an adapter for vertical shaft engines, I was thinking of snagging a shopping cart to make the test stand, might try and do something with a moving dolly I have.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1120940.JPG
  • P1120941.JPG

• KennyP and MNGB have said thanks