skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted September 30, 2015 - 03:00 AM

I like to leave carrots in the ground through winter. I just cover them deep with hay or straw. Mark the row with tall sticks and you can have fresh carrots all winter. And man do they get sweet when you do this.
  • oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#92 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 04:04 AM

Well it has been a heck of a summer!! The farm stand has been getting better and better, I have way surpassed my expenses for the garden and getting flowers and pumpkins so I'm very happy.
If next year goes as planned,(oh yeah, planning already) I will be right out straight!! Planting every weekend frome April 1st to June 31st! Then again in August for a winter crop of root veggies.
Green houses will be cookin' from February right on through to May with flowers and veggies.
I also started selling beef and pork at my stand like my dad did years back, and that has been a smash! I now must start raising more beef and a few pigs soon. The beef is all organic grass fed Herefords and the pork is strictly grain fed, only fresh vegetables for treats;-) we will not feed them garbage, or anything cooked! They stay inside and get cleaned out every day. So we have really nice pork, and people know this, so it sells like wildfire. Kind of pricey to raise them like this but the end results are happy customers !
Going to also give trees a shot for Christmas? I sure hope it helps my Christmas spirit, as I really haven't enjoyed one for many years now. Even with the kids, the wife is no help either.... She doesn't get it.... Maybe this year? I hope so... Or I'm giving it up... Christmas that is.. Thanksgiving on the other hand!!! Yummm Yumm!! I love thanksgiving!! LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150919_153747.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, October 15, 2015 - 04:06 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 3 others have said thanks

#93 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,193 posts

Posted October 15, 2015 - 06:27 PM

Keith, were you able to sell everything you grew through your stand?  I noticed you said you had 1000lbs of taters.  

My cousin raises pigs and a cow , I get 2 pigs every year and 1/2 a cow every other. It's worth every penny for the quality of the meat. People will pay for top quality raised the old fashioned way.

• skyrydr2, oldedeeres and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#94 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted October 16, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Almost, taters I still have about 200# left? Still have butternut squash, about 2 bushel of cabbage and small sugar pumpkins left. I sold a pile of corn, tomatoes, cukes and summer squashes, yellow and green. Also have a bushel of jalapeños still left. These little boogers pack a bite!! But they sure make a real nice hot pepper relish!! Damn good relish!! And it's soooo easy to make too.
And your correct about careing for your critters! People love to see what your growing and how you do it.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150119_153605.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, October 16, 2015 - 07:49 AM.

• Alc, oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#95 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,835 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted October 17, 2015 - 12:19 PM

It's extra work, but when we raised pigs I also milked a few dairy goats. Any milk that didn't get used in the house or sold to folks with children who couldn't handle cows milk went to the pigs. Fantastic pork! Our pigs were Landrace sows bred to a York boar, averaged 10 piglets to a litter, cutest little critters imaginable, and clean and easy to care for as well.

• Alc, skyrydr2 and TomLGT195 have said thanks