• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:03 AM

hello one and all, I am finding that my toro proline 44 is just not cutting as it should , the blades have been banged up by my son running over everything in sight (I have to make sure the dogs are in when I can get him to help out, ha ha ha) I am basically sure they will need to be replaced, but with what? I don't want to mulch I just want it cut and blown out from under the deck, I have heard gator blades are good, any others, hate to spend $25 a blade and not be happy, thoughts? thanks john

#2 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:15 AM

I've found that Gator blades are hit or miss, not in their quality, but in their performance. They are a nice heavy blade and hold an edge well so I'm sure it has to do with the deck. I put a set on my MTD with a 46" deck and didn't like them. It would not mow anything other than yard grass without plugging up. I put a set on my Troybilt with a 50" deck and they worked very well in any condition. I use a bagger and sometimes I'll pull a trailer behind the MTD and blow grass onto it and the Gator blades would not blow the grass through the bagger chute without plugging up. The OE blades would blow the grass much better.  If you purchase them don't expect a big of change over your stock blades.

• farmer john said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,672 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 10:21 AM

Alot has to do with the application and selecting the right blade for the job, for example gator blades are for mulching and not designed to pick up grass and throw it up the bagger chute, they keep the grass circulating in the deck to chop it up, Hi lift blades are common where baggers are used. There's also straight "sand" blades for down south

Manufactures also differ in material and steel, I use an American aftermarket company here that makes all their blades in house and 9 times out of 10 their blades are sharper and heavier gauge than the original's!

• farmer john and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,292 Thanks
  • 2,328 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 04:06 PM

My neighbor put a set of Gator Blades on his cheap 12.5hp MTD Yard Machines mower.They take a bit more power to run them because of the weight and near vertical angles on the Fan blades.His mower bogs down pretty bad if he misses a week of mowing.He's also gone through more deck belts since switching over to gator blades.But they do mulch pretty good and that is less raking he has to do.

I like to stick to original style blades if at all possible.Most blades are designed to specifically work with certain decks.Switching blades out for different style blades is Hit and Miss performance wise. 

#5 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:39 PM

New high lift work good for cut and shooting out the side.

Gator blades also work, the clippings are smaller.

These guys have a good selection of OEM blades and universal blades. They ship fast, 2 days I receive my order.

Check there downloadable catalog.

https://www.bantasaw...browse.asp?i=10

Hope this helps.

#6 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted May 29, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Check out these blades.