• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 05:32 PM

This problem with Dodge goes back a ways. Had a 1979 Dodge conversion van, 82 Ramchager 4x4, and 84 1/2 ton 2wd. The steering on all left a lot to be desired. It was like there was a dead spot in the center of the steering. Had the slack taken up and it made no difference. Used to call it "dead center steering". If you were carrying or pulling a load it was a full time job keeping things straight. I was hoping that the newer trucks had gotten away from steering problems. 

the coupler on the up to '93 trucks was well known to wear out and they'd wander all over the road, I started drilling and putting a grease zerk into the body of the coupler, and packing them that way, seemed to make them last longer.  My son has an 89 Ramcharger and a 90 3/4 ton 4WD. both had the Borgenson shaft put on by previous owners. Helps alot but being they are now 25 years old I have had to replace the steering box on both within the last couple years to cure the wander. The '90 had 152k on it when my son got it over 2 years ago, he drives the Hell out of it (50 mile round trip to work plus "hanging out" with his buddies besides) the speedo works fine but the odometer was dead when he bought the truck, still shows 152K  I have no idea what the real mileage is on that one.  The Ramcharger has a 5 digit odometer and only "shows" about 3K miles, IDK if it's 103K, 203K or maybe even more though.

• Cvans and JBRamsey have said thanks

#17 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 12:09 PM

My '99 wanders a bit but nothing uncontrollable or severe like some have said, I don't mind it but it drives my dad nuts (ford owner).  My truck is a 2500 4XA with 174,000 on the frame, body, and axles, motor was replaced and has around 120k on it, trans. was rebuilt.  The only complaint I have about mine is with 4:10 gears, a 360V8, and an automatic without overdrive the thing is a snail, 55-60 is about tops.

• Cvans and JBRamsey have said thanks