#1 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:42 AM

There was a neighborhood garage sale going on, so I thought what the heck and looked around. I came across an early 90s (i think) craftsman leaf blower. I got it for a steal.
It will need a bit of work but I'll definitely make use of it. I've been looking for a gas blower for a while.
Also, it takes 40:1 gas/oil mix. Everything else I have takes 50:1. How bad would it be to use my 50:1 gas in this thing? I don't really want to mix a different ratio of gas to oil just to run this thing.
I'm going to clean it up too, clean the air filter out, clean up all the dirt and junk on it and maybe change the spark plug.
Here's a quick YouTube video I made. Doesn't run great. Needs a carb rebuild most likely as it struggles to get up to full throttle.

Edited by richwoodrocket, May 10, 2015 - 08:42 AM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 markcunningham OFFLINE  

markcunningham
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 70506
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Well 50:1 is a little higher on the gas end of things but I think I used 50:1 on 40:1 weedwacker with no issues. it would probably run a little hotter I should think, but hey for $10 I would worry to much about it.

#3 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 09:12 AM

Well 50:1 is a little higher on the gas end of things but I think I used 50:1 on 40:1 weedwacker with no issues. it would probably run a little hotter I should think, but hey for $10 I would worry to much about it.

That was my thought too. Thanks.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,540 Thanks
  • 2,471 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 02:42 PM

I have been buying new Carbs for small 2 stroke stuff instead of carb kits recently.Carb kits are $10-15 and you have to clean the carb so another $5-8 for carb cleaner and Hopefully it's not all corroded up inside.New carbs are $15-25 on Ebay.

• Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 03:25 PM

I'm actually thinking that i might not take it apart since I don't want to break fuel lines.
It runs alright now but it could use some TLC, but I think I'll leave it for now. I haven't really used it yet.

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,732 Thanks
  • 2,919 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 04:04 PM

Make a small wire hook & pull the fuel pickup hose out & replace fuel filter before you mess with the carb. Clean or change air filter & most times you'll be good to go. Nice find.
  • richwoodrocket said thank you

#7 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Make a small wire hook & pull the fuel pickup hose out & replace fuel filter before you mess with the carb. Clean or change air filter & most times you'll be good to go. Nice find.

I Just cleaned out air filter and blew it out with compressed air. Not sure about the fuel filter though since the layout of the tank is kinda odd shaped.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#8 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 08:55 AM

So this blower is made by husqvarna. The husqvarna 132BV is the equivalent rebranded blower.
I believe it has a walbro carb too.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#9 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:45 AM

I'm stumped here. I took it all apart, cleaned out the carb, let it soak in gas for around 18 hours, blew it out with compressed air, and it was is showing the same symptoms as before, except much worse. The blower started up after a few pulls after reassembly, and ran for a few minutes, and would die. Then would run for a few seconds then die.

Now I can't get the blower to start at all. Took me about two hours to put back together and an hour to take apart so I'm not looking forward to a compete disassembly and reassembly,

When I looked in the fuel tank, the fuel filter had broke off the hose, and was just rattling around. After spending a solid 15 mins trying to get it out and put back on I realized that the engine probably sucked up some dirt because of the lack of fuel filter, and clogged up the carb.

The carburetor looked brand new when I put it back on. It looked nice and clean.

I think my next step is going to be to take the muffler off and check if the muffler is blocked up with carbon, because I don't know what else to do here I know I assembled everything correctly because I made sure to take plenty of pictures of everything.
I also made a video of the disassembly,
Anybody have any ideas?

Edited by richwoodrocket, May 18, 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#10 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 880 Thanks
  • 368 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:38 AM

I really like how you soaked the carb in gasoline, same stuff that gummed it up and varnished the carb. I would have spent a little and at least got some carb cleaner.

:D   Al

Edited by alleyyooper, May 31, 2015 - 06:38 AM.

#11 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:25 AM

I really like how you soaked the carb in gasoline, same stuff that gummed it up and varnished the carb. I would have spent a little and at least got some carb cleaner.

:D Al

I'm new to this stuff. And That's what my dad told me to do.
And it worked. I bought a rebuild kit from Sears, (came labeled as Husqvarna rebuild kit), took the carb apart, soaked it in gas for two days, put it all back together, and last night I fired it up. I think I need to play with the mix adjustment screw and the idle adjustment screw because I'm pretty sure i accidentally messed with them while taking it apart.
I don't really know if I'll keep it. It's pretty heavy and my arm was tired after using it. I might see what I can sell it on eBay to at least make back what I put into it, but I doubt it.

Edited by richwoodrocket, May 31, 2015 - 08:26 AM.

#12 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 880 Thanks
  • 368 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 01:27 PM

"I'm stumped here. I took it all apart, cleaned out the carb, let it soak in gas for around 18 hours, blew it out with compressed air, and it was is showing the same symptoms as before, except much worse. The blower started up after a few pulls after reassembly, and ran for a few minutes, and would die. Then would run for a few seconds then die."

Wasn't what you posted above.

:D   Al

#13 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 01:58 PM

"I'm stumped here. I took it all apart, cleaned out the carb, let it soak in gas for around 18 hours, blew it out with compressed air, and it was is showing the same symptoms as before, except much worse. The blower started up after a few pulls after reassembly, and ran for a few minutes, and would die. Then would run for a few seconds then die."

Wasn't what you posted above.

:D Al

I did that first, and because it didn't work, got the rebuild kit. :)