• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,474 Thanks
  • 17,094 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:57 AM

Yes, you have to watch what you get, Manufacture quality's differ for sure but its more of selecting the right belt for the job and not getting the cheapest you can find. (I'm talking the $5 to $15 "Specials" which belts in that range should normally cost about $30)

Many series and styles of belts out there, many "universal" interchanges you see on the web are only good for size sometimes even that's off. Many times the belts you see for $12 ect are just rubber fan belts that happen to be the same length and not meant and designed for your Lawn and garden application which is usually corded kevlar or raw edge materials designed for bending and twisting, alot are OEM spec sizes as well.

Between all of us dealers on here we should have access to just about every part for any brand and we are more than glad to sell you the correct quality belt the first time instead of chancing it from shoddy interchanges/auto store belts. :wave:

• superaben, grattone and Todd Klingbeil have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Brian is exactly right. 

I know of a couple zero turn mowers right now that will literally blow their belts off if they are not correct.  Ditto on various small tractors. 

I used to be the guy who would go cheap as possible, but I know from experience that I can save money in the long run with the right belt that lasts for five years versus the cheap one which blows off twice a summer.

You want a belt that IS right, not just looks right.  Lawn and garden belts are kevlar wrapped in most cases, with special reinforcement and a different type of rubber that is made to take the heat, stress, abuse, and wear of tractor work. 

Your pulleys are also worn to match the correct belt.  Putting an el cheapo belt on now when your pulleys are worn to the specs of the OEM manufacturer and good, high quality replacements will cause you problems.  I guarantee it. 

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you