• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Batesville Bandit OFFLINE  

Batesville Bandit

• Member No: 2417
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:14 AM

Last night I purchased a Snapper 1855A. It seems to be in good working order with the exception of the rear pto shaft/u-joint. The u-joint is broken, but I have both halves. Can anyone give me guidance on finding replacements or fabricating one?

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 08:23 AM

Welcome to GTtalk. A couple of the guys have fabbed up new u-joints primarily for the drive shaft but I am sure they might be able to give you some pointers. I haven't had to do this to mine yet. You could try searching the Massey forum also as I think it has been posted about a couple times.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 09:27 AM

I'm a bit confused, as this model does not use any universal joints for the rear pto, but rather simple splined couplers. Sounds like someone has already modified this tractor. You will likely have to do some engineering to repair this. Can you post some pics of this?

OR, are you speaking of the implement's pto shaft universal? The implement shafts have no U-joint kit, as they are pressed together, & only replaceable as a unit, and not sure if even available.

#4 Batesville Bandit OFFLINE  

Batesville Bandit

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 09:36 AM

I don't think the tractor is modified. What I am referring to is the shaft that is splined on one end and slides into the PTO drive on the tractor and has a square bar on the other end (the bar goes inside the connection on the implement that the PTO will drive) and in between the splined end and the square bar is a u-joint. Another way to say it would be the PTO drive shaft that connects the implement to the tractor PTO.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 09:43 AM

OK then, the implement shaft. No kit, so must be fabbed up. I think it's Larry that has a list of component part #'s all compiled to re-do these shafts........woohoo...Where are you Larry?

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 11:49 AM

I just saw this LOL Anyway here we go.You'll have to fab the shaft from these parts.The weld on weasler yoke 3/4" x 7/8" is part #300-0600 The u joint # is200-0600.The other yoke depending on what you want to do if you want to weld the yoke to the splined shaft it's #800-0614 it's got a 7/8" bore so you'll have to have the shaft turned down to 7/8" where you'll be welding the yoke on.The other way is to buy the weasler 1"x15 splined Saf-t-lock coupler #105-0615 yoke and use it on the splined shaft.The thing about using the Saf-t-lock coupler is that all you have to do is make a groove in the splined shaft just like whats in the now to let this new yoke lock onto the shaft.This way you leave the splined shaft in the tractor with just a small stub sticking out making it look more like the bigger ones. Make sure when you cut the old yokes off the shafts just cut the yokes not the shaft Here's a couple pics of the rear pto shaft and yokes I have the guard on the rear shaft so all you can see is a bit of the 3/4 x 7/8 shaft and one pic of the mid and front mount pto shaft..Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• MF 1655 pto shafts 001 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 pto shafts 002 (Small).jpg
  • MF 1655 pto shafts 003 (Small).jpg

Edited by massey driver, March 24, 2011 - 12:09 PM.

• ducky and TheFarm2004 have said thanks

#7 Batesville Bandit OFFLINE  

Batesville Bandit

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 01:38 PM

Larry - I really appreciate the help. Thanks!

#8 Batesville Bandit OFFLINE  

Batesville Bandit

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 01:47 PM

Larry - If I understand correctly, the splined shaft is 1" in diameter. I noticed, while looking up the part numbers you provided, that a yoke with a 1" bore is available. It's part number is 800-0616. Could this be used instead without having to turn the splined shaft down to 7/8"? You can see this part number at Weasler 6 Series Round Bore Implement Yoke (1" Bore) at Blain's Farm & Fleet

Thoughts?

#9 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'am sure you can use the 1" yoke.I just happened to have a 7/8" one in stock when I did mine.The other thing is when you weld the yoke on make sure that you don't push the yoke on to far,otherwise you won't beable to push the splinned shaft into the tractors pto and beable to lock it into place.So be sure to put the shaft in lock it into place then put the yoke onto the shaft and tighten the set screw thats in the yoke this way you'll know it's in the proper place.Good catch with the 1" yoke.I was going to mention that in my first post about using a 1" one rather then 7/8" .Larry