• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 123 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 10:03 PM

Need a little advice here.  Want to replace a tie rod end on my GT1800 with power steering.  Any body have any tricks on how to hold the hydraulic cylinder rod from turning to screw off the tie rod end (steering knuckle)?  There is about 1 1/2" of rod that does not retract into the cylinder but it is so hard vise grips won't bite.

Skip

• chieffan and ROBKa have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,139 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:47 AM

You might try extending the rod, wrap one layer of an old inner tube over it and clamp it down HARD in good heavy vise.  The tube will give protection to the rod as well as give an extra griping surface along with the length of the vise jaws.  May have to put a little fast heat on the tie rod end to get it to come.  Once it starts to turn don't stop turning and keep the heat to it.   The trick is to get the end to swell with heat before the rod does.  Apply the heat in one spot on the end, not the whole end.  You only need to swell one place to enlarge the threaded area enough to get it to turn.  Good luck with you project.

• tractorskipper and Genem have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:53 AM

I have had to grind a slight flat spot on one side of the always exposed part of the rod to give vice grips a flat spot to bite.  Many are made with this flat area on them.

• tractorskipper, Genem and chieffan have said thanks

#4 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • 123 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:55 PM

Thanks, I like both ideas & will try the rubber first.  I had considered grinding a flat spot.

Skip

#5 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • 123 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Ground flat spots on the very end to accommodate an 11/16" wrench & was able to break it loose.  Tried rubber & vise grips first, which gripped better than vise grips alone, but not enough.  Didn't want to remove the whole ram to put it in a vise.  Now to find a reasonably priced replacement.

Thanks

Skip

• olcowhand said thank you