• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:34 AM

I agree if you can't maintain it all you'll have is a mosquito pit. The one I seen that I liked a lot was more like a small pond area. Instead of having the normal theme of a pond it was RR related, bridges,grist mill etc. Either way it looks nice & easily maintained & expandable.

Edited by Sawdust, May 11, 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Oh, I see now, Thanks for the pics, I thought these ones your talking about were the larger style you ride on!

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#18 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:14 PM

Oh, I see now, Thanks for the pics, I thought these ones your talking about were the larger style you ride on!

Those are cool to watch.  Ask one of those owners what they have invested in in one train.  You could buy a whole fleet of nice GT's for that figure.  A new G scale Diesel engine by LGB, which is the top of the line is gong to set you back close to a grand or more.  Need to add a bunch of "0" to get into live steam.  I am toying with the idea of building and train engine around a GT.  Then use some old el cheep o GT frames to build the cars out of.   Anyone want to finance that operation for 20% of my company?  Oh, this isn't Shark Tanks is it.  Sorry !

• Bolens 1000, grnspot110 and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:22 PM

I agree if you can't maintain it all you'll have is a mosquito pit. The one I seen that I liked a lot was more like a small pond area. Instead of having the normal theme of a pond it was RR related, bridges,grist mill etc. Either way it looks nice & easily maintained & expandable.

If you look at photo #6, the bridge center left spans a real low area where the rain water drains to, the runs off to the left and out under another bridge.  That would be the area I would use for the pond and catch the water in a buried 5 gal pail and pump it back to the pond again.  That way it would drain when not in use and, a lid over the pail keeps everything else out including rain water, and could keep it chlorinated.  Not sure a 5 gal would be enough but would do for starters.  The fall is natural and it drops off a little just out of the railway area.  Something to work on down the road.

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I have driven a couple of the ones you sit on at a friends railroad. The steamers will set you back anywhere from 5,000 to 12,000! And people think our hobby is expensive!

#21 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:45 PM

If you look at photo #6, the bridge center left spans a real low area where the rain water drains to, the runs off to the left and out under another bridge. That would be the area I would use for the pond and catch the water in a buried 5 gal pail and pump it back to the pond again. That way it would drain when not in use and, a lid over the pail keeps everything else out including rain water, and could keep it chlorinated. Not sure a 5 gal would be enough but would do for starters. The fall is natural and it drops off a little just out of the railway area. Something to work on down the road.

A plastic sump pump basin might work. Some have knockouts for plumbing & would still be a good place for your pump.
  • chieffan said thank you

#22 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:06 AM

When I put  the basement in a couple years ago I buried a 14" plastic tube, smooth on the inside about 2' long.  When the floor was poured about 6Z" on concrete went in the bottom.  A lot of that kind of drainage is used in this area so a short piece would be easy to come up with.  I have a 3' section of 24" but that is a little over kill.  Need to work out the detail on how I could close it off when no in use to keep run off water out of the holding tank, and direct the "fresh" water in when using the system ? ? ?

• Sawdust said thank you