21 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hi all. Looking for some/any/all garden railroad hobbyist. About a year ago I picked up an Aristo Craft 0-4-0 with a bad motor. I was hoping I could locate a good motor to replace that bad one. So far that has not happened. Does anyone out there happen to have a motor that would work in this engine you would be willing to part with? Or, another option is if you have a motor and what to buy my engine that can be arranged for $40, just what I paid for it. Will get some new photos of my railroad since I have it cleaned up and all the buildings in place now. Built 5 building over the winter out of cedar as I can get gobs of scrap cedar from a bird house/feed mfg. place. If we can help each other out one way or another send me a PM and will go from there. Take care and keep them on the rails.
  • hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 09:40 PM

I remember seeing a little model train on eBay that was powered by a Clinton engine a year ago or so.  I thought that was pretty daggone neat!

Ben W.

• chieffan said thank you

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 10:44 PM

OK, where's the pictures??  This is a BIG railroad in your yard then??  You have trax and items to show us?  Is this a strange engine, or just common 4-stroke like in a garden tractor?  Would think to be easy to find if from tractor.  Harbor Freight has those 6.5 hp engines all the time on sale for $99, brand new and aren't that bad, even being Chinese. Lots of them around on things now at shows. Let's see pictures!   

There is a person making MM parts for big tractors, that also molds and sells plastic ties and sells rails and other train items. I don't know how much stuff he carries or makes.  Just found ad.  Enterprise Plastics Inc.  or just ep on the emblem. email ep@(therename).net  or www.epstores.com   The site shows some of the train items not in the tractor ads.

#4 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Yep, my wife and I have  a nice garden railway, along with an elevated loop around our living room ceiling for winter time operation.  Theme is Austrian narrow gauge using LGB brand equipment. LGB trains are top of the line and have the price to boot, however for bullet proof operation in all weather conditions, I have found no other brands as robust.  The use a plastic from BASF called Luran S, which is UV proof and extremely durable.  While the newer product from this company comes from outside Germany, all of my LGB was produced in West Germany. I also enjoy running live steam on our railway using my friends Regner brand engines.  I am in the process of purchasing the one and only live steamer produced jointly by LGB/Aster called the Frank S.    Mike

DSC07422_zps86863d41.jpg

DSC07421_zpscc143724.jpg

DSC07419_zpsd64b42f5.jpg

DSC07420_zps4194a8cc.jpg

DSC07418_zps3727f89d.jpg

DSC07417_zps583ba487.jpg

• olcowhand, grnspot110, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#5 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:21 AM

And for your bad motor, get ahold of Ross over at Zionsville Train Depot here in Indiana, if anybody can find you a motor for that engine, Ross can.   Mike

• Sawdust and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Will get some pics up a little later, as soon as the rain stops and a little sun comes. Mtoney, great looking railroad. A lot more advanced than ours is. We just started out about 3 years ago and still in the building stage. We live in the country along a rock road and have a dust situation to contend with. No doubt LBG is the top of the line and like you said, the price goes with it. Kind of like driving a Lexus or a Chevy. I'll stick with my Chevy's. We add a few plants every year. Last winter we lost about 8 that were supposed to be perennial's. Need to get them replaced yet.

Will try finding Ross and Zionsville Train Depot and see if he can come up with a motor for my 0-4-0. thanks much for the tip.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#7 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 09:04 AM

What scale are these trains? I'm used to HO & N and these look a few sizes larger

Nice railroad mtoney! :thumbs:

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Cool RR! Hope you can find a motor for that 0-4-0!

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 12:40 PM

OK, where's the pictures??  This is a BIG railroad in your yard then??  You have trax and items to show us?  Is this a strange engine, or just common 4-stroke like in a garden tractor?  Would think to be easy to find if from tractor.  Harbor Freight has those 6.5 hp engines all the time on sale for $99, brand new and aren't that bad, even being Chinese. Lots of them around on things now at shows. Let's see pictures!   

There is a person making MM parts for big tractors, that also molds and sells plastic ties and sells rails and other train items. I don't know how much stuff he carries or makes.  Just found ad.  Enterprise Plastics Inc.  or just ep on the emblem. email ep@(therename).net  or www.epstores.com   The site shows some of the train items not in the tractor ads.

Glgrumpy your many, many sizes to large. These are G scale, or 1/22.5 ratio. Will include several photos of my railroad in a few..

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 12:44 PM

What scale are these trains? I'm used to HO & N and these look a few sizes larger

Nice railroad mtoney! :thumbs:

Your right, about 3 sizes larger. These are G scale. I had HO scale for many years. Last layout was in a 14 X 70' mobile home that I gutted. It was DCC controlled with full automated prototypical signaling, automated crossing signals and all. We have a lot of humidity and heat in the summer and cold in the winter and could not afford to keep it climate controlled. Sold it all and started on this on about 3 years ago.
  • pigsitter and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 01:16 PM

OK guys, you asked for it and here it is. Keep in mind this is the first we have had the chance to do much with the railroad due to weather conditions. When it was decent we were trying to get the large garden ready and planted and keep about2.5 A of lawn mowed.

No 1.JPG No 11.JPG No 2.JPG

The crossing signal & shed came from a closed crossing in our local town. Got from the scrap dealer that is a good friend. Bought the single and traded the cast remains of a tractor for the shed. The signal is fully operational with electronic bell.

No 3.JPG No 4.JPG No 5.JPG

No 7.JPG No 7.JPG No 8.JPG

No 9.JPG No 10.JPG

The railroad needs some attention yet before it is really ready for the season. Ballast that was lost through the winter needs replaced, the block signals need put back in place, wood walk in front of the buildings needs aligned and buildings repositioned to match, over 3 dozen people and workers to put out, drainage tubes cleaned, etc.

The water tank and coal tipple were my first two scratch built projects in G scale. Were built from plans I purchased from a guy in Canada. Several of the other square log type structures were also hand built. There were all made from cedar for long lasting durability. Several other were purchased at an auction. I don't really like the plastic building as it take as long to get rid of that "plastic" look as it does to build a cedar building that weathers naturally. The ballast I use is medium grade chicken/turkey scratch made from crushed granite. It has a natural red color, just like the BNSF uses through the Midwest. The shingles are individual cedar shingles, glued in place using DAP brand tub & tile grout and adhesive. I also use this to stick the people in place. For roof sheeting, 1/8" Plexiglas works great. Can glued or nailed in place and the adhesive sticks to it as it is water proof. For ballast cement I use a weather proof glue thinned with about 30% water, just enough to let it run between the ties on the outside of the track. No glue is used between the rails. It will take about 20 - 30 pounds of ballast to replace what was lost through the winter. Overall the railroad is about 60' long and 40' wide.

The target signal in the background of No 11 is an old cast iron CB&Q signal light. It is complete with both lenses but does not have the K2 operator. Working now to devise a method to light it with the Red Green and Amber using 12V DC power. The crossing signal uses two back up light bulbs and a 3 prong flasher unit to alternately flash the lights. The are every bit as bright as the 17V units that were originally in the unit. By Federal regulations a crossing signal must be capable to operate for 36 hours without outside power source in case of a major power failure. A bank of batteries is housed in the steel building to facilitate this.

Enjoy the photos. When it is completed, for this season, I may get more photos posted. Thanks for stopping by on a cool, rainy Mothers Day in SW Iowa.

Attached Thumbnails

• No 6.JPG

• grnspot110, pigsitter, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#12 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,485 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 04:09 PM

OK, I'm thinking BIG like you can sit on or close,12" wide Trax and such. Yard train, takes whole yard.
  • bbuckler and chieffan have said thanks

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:08 PM

OK, I'm thinking BIG like you can sit on or close,12" wide Trax and such. Yard train, takes whole yard.

I know what your mean.  that is quite a bit larger than G scale. That is 1 foot gauge.  Takes a good banker to finance one of those.  Way out of my league price wise.  Mine are large enough as the 4 yo granddaughter cannot carry on the diesel engines.  Does OK on some of the cars but getting them on the rail is another thing.  We use a railer but she does not always think about that.

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:19 PM

I'm an avid ho scaler & love scratch building the structures...along with my new hobby of tractors :) I like these garden layouts because of all the originality involved. Chieffan if you go on Zealot train forum look up a guy named Doctor G. He has an awesome garden layout in Tennesee...mostly steam. Keep us posted it's looking nice....any creeks with real running water in your plans :)

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 07:49 AM

I'm an avid ho scaler & love scratch building the structures...along with my new hobby of tractors :) I like these garden layouts because of all the originality involved. Chieffan if you go on Zealot train forum look up a guy named Doctor G. He has an awesome garden layout in Tennesee...mostly steam. Keep us posted it's looking nice....any creeks with real running water in your plans :)

We have thought about it but that is a high maintenance project. There is natural drainage from the bridge out towards the center across the bridge on the outside with raised track. This actually backwards from what you want for running water. Pump the water from the pool to the head of the stream. In my case the water collects in the pool and drain off by way of the stream. For now it will remain a 'dry gulch' only wet when it rains.
  • Sawdust said thank you