#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 12:27 PM

new ( new to me) GTs . The last one will be the Cub Cadet. As I was going thru the garage the other day I realized that there is just not enough room to keep all of them properly and safely away. Three Allis Chalmers farm tractors,  ( 1942 WC on rear steel, 1947 WC, and a1952 WD ), Three Homelite T-16 H gts, a Sears custom 10XL, Sears custom 8 E, Cub Cadet 1650 hydro, Sears 7, True Value Lawn Chief LT, Troy built Pony LT, Troybuilt econo horse tiller and various implements and mowing decks for all GT and LTs. All of these in a 30' X 40' garage that has a 12 1/2' X 26' wood shop as well as a welders and other equipment. I need to be able to keep the truck in there in the winter as well as all of these pieces of equipment. Can't afford to build another garage to so I think it is time to just stop where I am.  If I get everything running I will be doing a great service to them.  Now it's time to plan on pouring a concrete floor in the garage and getting it re arranged. It will be a couple of years yet for that but never to early to start thinking and planning. I am planning on installing a wood floor in the shop area. I just can't stand to work on concrete any more. It makes the legs , knees and ankles very sore. My plan is to remove 6 1/2" of crushed limestone and install 2" of  blue foam insulation and use that as a vapor barrier. On that I will be putting down 3/4" tongue and groove plywood. I have found some decent but fairly cheap ( not Chinese made) laminate to put on top of that. Should make for a good wood shop floor.

Just can't justify more GTs . Seems like I have enough.    Thanks.                                                                                           Roger

• KennyP, tinbender7, Traill95 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 12:36 PM

You Sick B*****d!   I'm laughing my A off reading this. Looks just like I wrote it myself!  Disease hard to recover from! I have thrown, dumped, given away many things, and still more come in. Tearing apart to put in attic only works till it is full or un-safe. The outside under tarp stuff doesn't work and still goes bad. One thing to do is junk that True Value mower, no parts and just generic. Pull the engine and trans at most, rest be gone! There, that's My help on the matter.  ON floor, sounds odd to remove concrete. Maybe you just need lifts and bigger move around benches to put stuff up higher to work on. I know my knees and back don't do well on floor anymore, and I'm STILL doing it that way.  Been using benches more now, when clear enough and can lift item up to it. I don't see a wood floor staying good for many years, and wanting to move up/down in places over the changes in weather. Who knows?  Join Me in getting out of the Hobbie! It's free, just have to prove can be done yet, ha!

• hamman, tinbender7, pigsitter and 2 others have said thanks

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hmm.... I think I have heard that line before. :rolling:

• hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,780 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 01:06 PM

One thought is shelves. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 02:52 PM

I do have 10' 8" walls so I could do shelves ??!! As far as the LT Chief mower it is in great shape and still runs and mows great. My only problem is the steering selector has slop in it and skips some times.DSCF4770.JPG

As for my floor, all I have in there now is crushed limestone. It is awful hard to walk on and my tools (woodworking) and cabinets don't roll on it. Just couldn't afford the concrete when I built it. Still can't right now.

My wife tells me I'm sick also., however she won't let me get rid of any of these because she likes them also.   Thanks.         

Roger

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 03:01 PM

That is nice lawn cheif!  Most I've seen still around are just junkers. Guess that one is a keeper, spoke too soon.  I think WE just have our brains tuned into stuff that is not as important as the things WE should be doing or working with. We're Sick, looking for help. 

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 03:53 PM

Ya I was surprised when my son called me to come and get it from a customer of his. Started it up and drove it on the trailer. Washed it off and it looks great.

I caught this disease early in life from my dad. We always had something with an engine on it to ride play with. I will always love him for that.                  Roger

• oldedeeres said thank you

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 03:56 PM

Roger,,  All you need to do is find a mistress with a nice pole barn....

Thats what I call a "win-win" situation.   :thumbs:

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks

#9 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 04:16 PM

Roger,,  All you need to do is find a mistress with a nice pole barn....

Thats what I call a "win-win" situation.   :thumbs:

I had one kinda like that. I mowed her grass, fixed her fence, rebuilt her barn, trained her horse and a bunch more stuff. I didnt charge her anything, she didnt feed me and none of the   :love: ..... just like having to wifes at the same time. I feel sorry for the mormans

• Gtractor, hamman and Chopperhed have said thanks

#10 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,646 Thanks
  • 7,675 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 04:32 PM

When we all finally get out of this hobby, what do you suppose George will turn this forum into?

• hamman said thank you

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 04:51 PM

It sucks to have to get rid of equipment, especially if it's valued.

I've been picking up 5/8 thick 4 x 6 rubber trailer mats for 50 bucks a piece when they come on sale. They make all the difference on the concrete floor, especially in the winter. can stand on those 12-14 hrs a day no problem.

• hamman, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,865 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I don' know guys, but IMHO, a wife who appreciates the hobby is worth her weight in gold, forget the aforementioned mistress.Besides, one mistress, (the hobby) is enough.   :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#13 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Don't know why you need to keep truck in garage, it has its own roof...keep that out and room for 6 more tractors.

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:56 PM

I've been saying the same thing. But I always find room for one more...

The big farm tractors take up a lot of room.

With the vintage power sport stuff we never got into 3 wheelers and the bigger trikes because of the real estate they take up..

Same with tractors. Gt sized stuff only. We had a speed ex sold it. And we have the pk outside under a tarp because its so big
  • hamman said thank you

#15 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 07:16 PM

I don' know guys, but IMHO, a wife who appreciates the hobby is worth her weight in gold, forget the aforementioned mistress.Besides, one mistress, (the hobby) is enough.   :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

Damn Straight

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks