LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:18 AM

Art in a practical object. Where do you get the handles?

• trowel and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:40 AM

Say! Is this where you got your user name?

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 11:43 AM

Nice tools!

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 05:49 PM

Say! Is this where you got your user name?

Yes.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 06:01 PM

2 pic's, 0223 & 0224 jpg  are dipping in oil ? not water 

The steel was if I remember correctly was of magnesium grade, water would of made it too hard, the oil is slower cool down when I dip it repeatedly and replaces some of the carbon forged out of it at white heat. The oil burns a black coating which is another method used to coat raw steel. Hydraulic fluid, engine oil, gear oil, veg oil. Depending on the grade of steel or it's applications it can be dipped in different oils or even sand, it is another form of annealing, this is before tempering if required.

The S-6 and S-7 steel is very high alloy air cooled only, the S-5 can be oil dipped if needed, I rather the S-5 for impact tools being a little more forgiving. All the S grade steels are hard to forge, even at white heat.

Edited by trowel, May 10, 2015 - 06:02 PM.

• Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#21 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 04:16 AM

ty Trowel  for the input  m8 , Magnesium is pretty ready available cars mags are of that stuff , i know regular types of metals but when you say........ errr......S5 ect

i don't know , i know them as like , domestic , extrusion , magnesium ect in other words common names .mild steel , tensile steel , hot cast cold cast , chilled cast iron ect  

Interesting Stuff to learn about 

• trowel said thank you

#22 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,809 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 04:41 AM

Very nice !!! do you make those for resale ?  or is it just a hobby.  I have played around with forging before but always with a torch never an actual coal forge, been on the lookout for a forge I can afford but they are pretty expensive if you find one in good shape.  Very nice work.

Pete

#23 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 05:30 AM

Very nice !!! do you make those for resale ?  or is it just a hobby.  I have played around with forging before but always with a torch never an actual coal forge, been on the lookout for a forge I can afford but they are pretty expensive if you find one in good shape.  Very nice work.

Pete

Pete ,a small forge is reasonably easy to make by using a large type car or truck engine sump a small hand blower of sorts & a grid for the coal or charcoal to  burn on set inside of the sump (fire box ), cut a hole in the deep part of the sump & mount the blower under neath with a breath hole for the air to pass through 

Shane

Edited by holdenboy1960, May 14, 2015 - 05:34 AM.

• trowel and petrj6 have said thanks

#24 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 04:54 AM

I know a fellow who uses waste oil/ squirrel cage blower to fire his forge...and it gets the needed temp quickly. Nice pieces trowel!

• KennyP, trowel and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:17 AM

ty Trowel  for the input  m8 , Magnesium is pretty ready available cars mags are of that stuff , i know regular types of metals but when you say........ errr......S5 ect

i don't know , i know them as like , domestic , extrusion , magnesium ect in other words common names .mild steel , tensile steel , hot cast cold cast , chilled cast iron ect  

Interesting Stuff to learn about 

On one side of my family, my father was a machinist, my younger brother is a schooled CAD/CAM machinist, my older brother is a schooled and practical machinist, my uncle ran the coal fired furnaces and mu other uncles assembled the trucks at the Ford plant in Batavia, Ohio before they closed it so it was always talked about.

I studied metal fab & welding for 4 years at a trade school as a teen, also touched metallurgy and casting. Built a 4 inch bore and 5 1/2 inch bore coke fired Cupola iron and bronze smelter and propane fired aluminum and alloy crucible furnace after school and continued to study metallurgy, blacksmithing and toolsmithing after work going as far as two part green sand molding and basic machining. I also built gas fired blacksmith forges with home built burners which were much better the coke or coal and forged out most of my own tools. This was at the time when metal was sold at fair reasonable prices.

My overwhelmed brain has forgotten more then your common fair and engine show blacksmith has tried.

• KennyP, BNK and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#26 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:25 AM

Pete

Yes I did, the garden tools pictured above are unmarked prototypes, series no. one I will retain and pass along as heirlooms. Before Airborne crashed I spend a lot of week ends and evenings forging or casting metal to sell between the small engine repairing and selling. Sun up to sun down, sunday to sunday.

As of yesterday most of my blacksmithing tools have been sold, if only I had the time and patience I could teach you practical forging, grades of metal, annealing, tempering, green sand casting and related tools.

As Shane stated, building a little starter coal fired forge is simple.

Edited by trowel, May 17, 2015 - 05:27 AM.

• Alc, BNK and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#27 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:34 AM

wow Trowel ,you have had extensive dealings with metal products ,at least you have good knowledge to make some really nice items 

• trowel said thank you

#28 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:39 AM

i have recently collected nearly a 12 gal drum of char coal ready for dad's forge for when i get enough time to fire it ,just make a few little things to get the feel of things

Shane 

Edited by holdenboy1960, May 17, 2015 - 05:39 AM.

• Alc and trowel have said thanks

#29 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Art in a practical object. Where do you get the handles?

I ordered and provided three types, hickory, maple, apple and rose wood. The hickory and maple are file/tool handles rebored and slightly modified, the apple and rose wood was custom lathed with lathed brass ferrules.

• LilysDad and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#30 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 05:49 AM

i have recently collected nearly a 12 gal drum of char coal ready for dad's forge for when i get enough time to fire it ,just make a few little things to get the feel of things

Shane 

Apple, hickory and (I forget at the moment) makes the best car coal.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you