• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 09:58 PM

I stumbled across an L2200 today while buying a Sears tiller. I kind of glanced out it. The owner had passed away and his daughter is selling things. Her son wants to try and start it before they sell it. It looks to be in great shape. It had the deepest tread ag tires I have ever seen. After poking around on the Internet, I learned that it's a gray market tractor from Japan with rice paddy tires. I presume the 22 in 2200 means 22 horsepower. Most of the websites and forums say it's not a big deal to get parts for these anymore. It looks like the big thing are the bastard sized tires. The OD is the same as normal AG tires so they used a smaller diameter wheel. Most report that if you need new tires you have to replace the wheels, too.

Tell me what you guys know/think about these tractors.

Thanks.

#2 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • Member No: 9791
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:12 AM

All the info you'll need can be found here: http://www.orangetra...70&pp=25&page=2

• JBRamsey said thank you

#3 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 07:06 AM

All the info you'll need can be found here: http://www.orangetra...70&pp=25&page=2

Thanks for the link. Have you had any personal experience with one or know anyone that has?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I think sometimes the PTOs can be strange as well, in direction or rpms, can't remember which. They are usually refurbished before being sold here. I'm not sure on parts. A friend of mine has an early 2000s 30 hp L series Kubota with a BH. He broke a pin in the hoe and he got the last one the dealer had. They are NLA after this. So I'd check with a Kubota dealer or with their online parts catalog just to be sure. 

#5 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Only experience with a gray market tractor I have is what I've read. There is a good article posted here i think. I'll see if I can find the link.

#6 bh115577 ONLINE  

bh115577
  • 434 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Here is the link. Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the story.

http://gardentractor...ray#entry364076

#7 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Thanks. I've read a couple of articles. It doesn't seem like it's a big deal on getting parts now. I'm more than interested in the tractor. It's a nice size for my garden I have now. I think if I can get cheap enough I will take a chance on it. I don't so much need it as want it. I have three Suburbans that I use in my garden, a late sixties Simplicity that I mow with, a JD 185 hooked to an EasyVac, a disassembled 8N and a non running B model Allis. I'm thinking if I get it that I will sell the Allis and a couple of the Suburbans and attachments.

What I've read is that the wrong direction PTO was only on one model.

If you guys come across anyone with first hand experience I'd be interested in talking to them. I use the Internet for research, but at the end of the day I like to talk to a person on things like this.

Thanks again for your time and input. Now it's past time to get outside and get to work. Mowing, chainsaw time and garden time today with a Little League game right in the middle of it.

#8 farmtoybuilder OFFLINE  

farmtoybuilder

• Member No: 4850
  • 12 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 09:43 AM

That is an imported-GRAY Market tractor and is great until you need a part for it. I wouldn't buy one. Guess if it's cheap you could do ok? Nothing for it available from Kubota Dealers!!!!!

Edited by farmtoybuilder, August 17, 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#9 bobofthenorth OFFLINE  

bobofthenorth
  • Member No: 59852
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I've had a gray market excavator for a couple of years. The biggest problem is figuring out what the parts on my machine cross to in the North American parts books. But it's not really that big of a deal and despite what the purists claim, many dealers are more interested in selling parts than kissing Kubota's butt. I'll never buy a "genuine" Kubota of any description because of Kubota Corporate's bone headed stupidity in this matter but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another gray market machine.
  • Cvans said thank you

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted August 17, 2015 - 04:19 PM

Which excavator do you have? I have the Kubota RX502.

#11 bobofthenorth OFFLINE  

bobofthenorth
  • Member No: 59852
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 18, 2015 - 06:33 AM

The decals on it say KX33 but I don't think they are original.
  • Cvans said thank you

#12 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted August 22, 2015 - 06:13 AM

The trick is to figure out which North American tractor is its mate, then use that model when talking to any dealer.  Keeping the grey market fact under your cap is the best way to get dealer help on parts.  With the internet, ebay and such, it isnt the huge issue it was just a few years ago.  Good luck on getting the tractor.    Mike