• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Picked up a Case 220 tonight for what its glass headlights normaly fetch on fleabay.  Gonna take a bit of work to get her going again but I was looking for a project tractor.  Plan is to build her for plow days as she has factory hyd lift, which I wasnt expecting as most 220 pics I found online had manual lift.  I hope to have her done up in Black Knight colors but with a couple changes since its a replica and not a genuine BK.  I plan to have the "demonstrator" lettering changed to "Black Knight" along with the image of a knight on horseback holding a jousting spear.  Pics tomorrow as it was well after dark when I pulled in to home base.  The serial number, 9648082, I think puts it in the 1970 or 71 time frame.  CaseColtIngersol.com didnt go back that far on thier one chart, only the 72 and forward serials were listed.  She has the solid mounted motor and is desert sunset colors.  Tires are shot, fronts wont even hold air.  Cant wait to get started and see her run again.  Mike

• rustyoldjunk, Gtractor, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 06:53 AM

Nice. Recently seem to be a bunch of Cases on CL. One thought, use a rouke(like paladin) instead to the mounted knight. I find that understated often holds more interest. Post pics as you go. Good Luck, Rick

#3 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 07:00 AM

Pic time, grabbed a couple shots before I head to work.  Do you have a pic of what your thinking of instead of the mounted Knight Rick?
DSC07536_zpsziqpgcxc.jpg
DSC07535_zpsfpcujezt.jpg

Edited by mtoney, May 08, 2015 - 07:02 AM.

• MNGB said thank you

#4 greenb69 ONLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Very nice. I really like the look of these tractors. Looking forward to seeing it running again. Thanks for sharing.

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 09:36 AM

I'm a big fan as well...miss the Ingersoll I had.  Great machines.

#6 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,016 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 12:55 PM

Good looking tractor you did good, will be following your updating.

#7 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 05:20 PM

I got the muffler and associated piping removed today, sent the front rims to the tire shop for some new front ribbed tires to be installed, original rears are holding air and will do till I can afford new ag tires.  No luck so far getting the broken and frozen head bolt remains out.  Just enough to weld a nut to or grip with a pair of vise grips, Welded 3 nuts to it, hoping the heat plus PB blaster would work, no dice so far.  Keeping it soaking with blaster for now.  Anybody got a rear bearing end plate for a starter/gen laying around.  Mine has the mounting boss area busted off.  Starter gen looks ok otherwise.   Mike

#8 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 09:36 PM

Although I don't have the gen plate you need, I do have quite a few other Case parts. Let me know if you need anything. Nice find there. You'll love it.

Eric

#9 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Got a pair of small wheel fenders?  These are really bent up and not suitable for restoration.  Mike

#10 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted May 11, 2015 - 10:34 PM

The only ones I had were also pretty bent. Apparently they make good steps and bumpers. I have another source close to me I can check with.

Eric

#11 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Made some progress on my 220 tonight. Neighbor came over and helped me drill out and tap the broken off headbolt. Heat, penetrating oil and the tapered easy out were not working. So we drilled and re tapped the hole. Head is back on, just not torqued yet as my torque wrench and Kohler spec book are at work. I also drilled out a broken bolt on the starter gen mount and chased out all threads on that mount and the head bolt holes as well. I have the starter gen back on the tractor with just the front bolts holding it in place. I have a replacement rear cover plate on order, but will probably make a temporary sheet metal tab to the cover bolts to hold up the rear of the starter gen so I can try to fire the engine in the next few days. The carb is in my soaker can at work, I will pull it out and reassemble it tomorrow. I have a temporary muffler I can install for engine testing. Also need to replace the rubber coupling tubes to the front hyd cooler as they are seeping and soft. A full fluid change out will come after I see if the engine runs or needs rebuilt. I have new front ribbed tires w/tubes and one of the rear tires is tubed. The other rear needs it done yet. My hope is to have her running under her own power for the August Portland swap meet to use as my butt buggie. My Allis 920 Diesel is both large, loud and stinky for butt buggie use. I will get some new pics tomorrow. Mike

• superaben said thank you

#12 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 10:27 PM

I bet a good hydraulic shop is your best choice for those hoses you need.  From my experience with Ingersoll, any leak is better fixed before the system starts to do strange things.

Ben W. 

#13 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 19, 2015 - 06:16 AM

I agree on fixing leaks, this is just on the low pressure return side and is just a piece of rubber hose that connects the two hard lines together. Age and the effects of the oil have done thier number on the rubber.  I tried tightening the hose clamps to no avail a few days ago. I have proper hose for it at the shop.  One of my local friends has over 40 Case garden tractors and thru him I am friends with Steve Guider.  Gotta go get ready for another day at work, I will post some pics tonight.   Mike

• KennyP said thank you

#14 mtoney ONLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 540 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 04:38 PM

Got her running good tonight.  Engine runs excellent, no oil burning or knocking beyond the common Kohler "cam shaft rattle" that these are prone to.  Hydrive works but is very weak, fluid is red in color and of unknown brand/type.  Whats the best way to drain the system so I can refill with Shell 15w40 Rotella?  Had to have my friend sand down and braze the bottom of the fuel tank, must have sat canted to one side as one end was very rusted out.  He repair all of that and despite that issue, the inside of the tank is very clean.  Now to figure out where I misplaced one of my gas tank straps so I can reassemble the rear fender area.   Mike

#15 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Sounds like P.O. used trany fluid big no no for case try to get all you can out. Your friend has over 40 should tell you the best way I'm not familiar with the desert sand tractors travel control valve mine has plug to drain.