• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:36 PM

My profile pic is of a QT16. It is the hard working, and very heavy duty, tractor which started my Bolens passion. I've wanted to find another like it, and have been running a couple ads. A gentleman responded that he had an HT23 with a broken front end he was willing to sell. I've read a lot about those Cadillacs, but haven't really had them on my radar. Anyways, we talked. He claims it ran strong and drove great until the front axle support broke. That was two years ago and it has sat in his yard ever since. He was planning to pull the engine out and put it on his sawmill, but would sell the whole thing to me for $600 if I wanted it. I bit. It is a 2389S, ser. # 0400104. The engine is a K582(S or 5?), Spec. 36328, Ser. 1628304285. I will post better pics soon. Any input, or advice, is welcomed. Paul

024.jpg 025.jpg 026.jpg 027.jpg 028.jpg 001.jpg

Edited by Paulgo, May 07, 2015 - 06:39 PM.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens, WrenchinOnIt and 1 other said thanks

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,374 Thanks
  • 5,277 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:44 PM

The engine is a K582S

104 is number 4 of that modal run off the factory line. 

The front axle support is a known bad spot to brake on these if not taken care of your best bet is to get a used one.

I may have a used one or you can just sell the tractor to me!  

Edited by wilberj, May 07, 2015 - 07:45 PM.

• boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks

#3 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:32 PM

The engine is a K582S

104 is number 4 of that modal run off the factory line. 

The front axle support is a known bad spot to brake on these if not taken care of your best bet is to get a used one.

I may have a used one or you can just sell it to me!  

I doubt that cast support will hold up well if braised.  How much for a used one?  What part of MI are you at?

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,673 Thanks
  • 769 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:43 PM

Wow , power steering , cruise control, $600 , a very good deal ! Rick Show ( Blackjackjake on ebay) also a sight sponsor has them , just an FYI the power steering alone is worth the asking price( IMO) .
Replacing the bolster not a terrible job , but indeed replace it once it's out (again IMO)

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, May 07, 2015 - 07:43 PM.

• ClassicBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,374 Thanks
  • 5,277 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:43 PM

I doubt that cast support will hold up well if braised.  How much for a used one?  What part of MI are you at?

I am in the town of Elsie around center of the mitten.   I'll see if I have a good used one this weekend and get back to.  

• blackjackjakexxix and Paulgo have said thanks

#6 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,452 Thanks
  • 1,809 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 08:03 PM

What a steal,you did real well,don't let anybody BS you that you over paid,WrenchinOnIt is correct,those power steering units do $650.00-$800.00 ALL day long,let me know if you need a bolster and front axle,I can fix you up,just pm me,again great buy
  • WrenchinOnIt, ClassicBolens and Paulgo have said thanks

#7 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 890 Thanks
  • 585 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Nice machine! I'm sure that you'll be very happy once you get it up and running.

• WrenchinOnIt and Paulgo have said thanks

#8 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,452 Thanks
  • 1,809 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Another thing I just noticed,if that's a plastic dash panel,it doesn't look broke,very seldom see them not broke

#9 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Wow. Awesome catch!

#10 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,057 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:04 PM

That's a heck of a good buy! Looks to be in good shape overall. Like WrenchingOnIt said, the front bolster is quite the job to change. Be sure to take your time and inspect all front end components and address any issues you find while you've got it apart. You definitely don't want to do the job twice because something is overlooked.

#11 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:08 PM

Wow , power steering , cruise control, $600 , a very good deal ! Rick Show ( Blackjackjake on ebay) also a sight sponsor has them , just an FYI the power steering alone is worth the asking price( IMO) .
Replacing the bolster not a terrible job , but indeed replace it once it's out (again IMO)

Is the bolster the cross member piece that the parts guide is calling an axle support?  Holds the front of the frame together and has a pin which goes through it and the top of the axle?  Also holds the PTO brackets?

#12 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:23 PM

The axle and the power steering unit look fine.  I need to replace the support (bolster?), the right spindle assembly, a tie rod, the RH steering arm, The RH socket, and (maybe) the LH socket?

007.jpg 008.jpg

#13 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,374 Thanks
  • 5,277 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Is the bolster the cross member piece that the parts guide is calling an axle support?  Holds the front of the frame together and has a pin which goes through it and the top of the axle?  Also holds the PTO brackets?

Yes that would be what is broke.

• Paulgo said thank you

#14 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • 603 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:33 PM

Another thing I just noticed,if that's a plastic dash panel,it doesn't look broke,very seldom see them not broke

The dash is good everywhere but at the throttle lever.  I think I can back brace that area and fill it smooth with JB Weld?  Can the clear button on the top of the gas cap be replaced?  The float and gas gauge needle still work great.  I also need a piece of that black ribbed material for the right hand foot rest.  Thanks!  Paul002.jpg 009.jpg

#15 ClassicBolens ONLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 48806
  • 1,057 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Yes, the "bolster" is the axle support. Man look at the cat turds on the steering arm. It never ceases to amaze me the welds that people attempt, when they obviously should not have even tried. Please, for the love of all things Bolens, repair that mess correctly. LOL