29 replies to this topic

#16 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:40 PM

Coldone and Hamman here's some interesting info unless it's changed again American Standard is owned by Trane or vice versa not exactly sure who owns who, and Heil's parent company ICP has been bought up by Carrier's parent company!!  A lot of the new Heil equipment we've been getting in at work is basically rebadged Carrier equipment. The HVAC world keeps getting smaller!! :smilewink:

• hamman said thank you

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:52 AM

I'm not sure why they would want to replace the main trunk though?!

After it is installed you city, twp, county etc., inspector comes out and makes sure it's installed to code.

Good luck.                                                                                                                                                                                                   Roger

The Main trunk is in VERY poor condition.......It has leaks all over it, and it is terrible.  The incoming duct work is barely hanging onto it.  The previous owner "added" duct work to heat his workshop on the other end of the basement and completely wrecked it.   I actually requested this repair myself.

There is no inspector from anywhere that has to look at it.  So no permit fees to look at.  Our county doesn't care about us. 

I am going to sit down this weekend and do a lot of reading about stuff.  I have a buddy I haven't talked to In awhile that installed systems before coming to the coal mine.  I might see what he is doing and come out and look at it this weekend.

• hamman said thank you

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 12:19 PM

Another guy looked at it today, hasn't made a quote.  My wife said he had no clue what he was talking about after she had met with the first guy.  He is going to give a quote, but hasn't yet. 

Not sure what he was proposing.  She said he gave her nothing.  Walked around and looked and basically left.  He wanted to add in a bunch of duct work(which I agree with needing)

She is waiting on a guy to show up at 2 to give another look see and hopefully a quote.  This guy is friends with my wife's grandmother.  So maybe he will cut us a deal.

#19 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 02:41 PM

So no permit fees to look at.  Our county doesn't care about us. 

If I were you I'd count my blessings.  

• pigsitter and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 03:11 PM

If I were you I'd count my blessings.  

Very much so.  I can do anything I want to my property without the county interfering.  The only thing they want is a 5 or 10 dollar permit for me to work on my septic system. They do not care about much of anything.  That is a double edged sword.  Awhile I chose to keep my property and house in excellent condition others do not, and I do not have recourse to get my one neighbor to get rid of the 5 junk cars, or get him to even cut his grass...but he is far enough away and keeps his mouth shut that I don't worry much about it.

Anyway, onto the furnace Saga.

Quote #2 Do not know price yet.  He had to "think about it"

Quote #3 Came in at 6,000 dollars.  Trane Unit.

Quote #4 Came in at 4,800 dollars.  I do not know the brand.  This guy is a friend of my wife's grandmother and has done installs for the entire family.  He is selling us the package.  The brand of furnace and AC(don't know yet) is offering 800 dollars off on the package.  He is also only charging us for unit/parts no labor.  If I am ok with the brand I will go this direction.  I do know its the same warranty as the Trane unit, 5 years parts/labor then another 5 years of parts/no labor.

Quote #5 is coming the 13th.  If I am not happy with quote 4 I will give him a chance to quote.  If I am not happy with quote 5 I am going to go with Quote 3 at 6,000.

#21 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 05:22 PM

Wow, thats a lot of variance in pricing.

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 09:39 AM

Going with the 4,800 dollar quote.  Its a Carrier system.  86.6% oil furnace and new AC unit.  I talked to him yesterday and we finalized the deal.  I had him add in some duct work repairs that he didn't initially quote(adding a second cold air return, and moving 2 vents in the floor).  Going to be 5,200 total.  Warranty is good.  I am happy at this point.  He is going to start tomorrow with the removal and clean up work, then early next week start the install as the equipment comes in.  I am fine with this as what we have now doesn't work at all.  But it figures tomorrow night we have a low forecasted at 38 degrees.  But hey it shouldn't get below 65 in the house with as warm as it is during the day.

• Cvans and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#23 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Put another quilt on the bed and you'll get along fine. Carrier should be a good product. 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#24 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Put another quilt on the bed and you'll get along fine. Carrier should be a good product.

I told my wife not to complain we are getting an all new system. She can deal with a night. I am staying at the camp in WV.

#25 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 02:32 PM

Around here they generally have a promotion where they install the ac free with a new furnace.  I don't have ac and likely never will as I don't mind warm weather..Just can't see bitching about the cold all winter and then when it gets warm BLOWING COLD AIR INTO THE HOUSE! Also we don't get that stinking humidity you fellows get.  Quote 4 sounds right and when the contractor comes with references always a good thing.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#26 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 03:15 PM

Around here they generally have a promotion where they install the ac free with a new furnace.  I don't have ac and likely never will as I don't mind warm weather..Just can't see bitching about the cold all winter and then when it gets warm BLOWING COLD AIR INTO THE HOUSE! Also we don't get that stinking humidity you fellows get.  Quote 4 sounds right and when the contractor comes with references always a good thing.

I agree honestly.  I grew up without it, my last house didn't have it(lived their 5 years), and I didn't mind it.  The humidity bothers me more than anything.  I like opening a window at night and having the fan in there blowing in fresh air. 

Wife however just can't live without it.

#27 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 03:36 PM

The humidity bothers me more than anything.

I'm with you on that point. Sticky don't cut it. 

• olcowhand and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:23 PM

New system is in! Got hot enough this weekend to try out the AC and cold enough one evening to try out the furnace. GI figure.

1st impression with the furnace is that its so quiet. I thought it was broken. Thermostat said it was running I couldn't hear it. The old furnace was so loud the pump alone would rattle the floor and then the blower sounded like a tornado. Had to go to a vent and see. Not only is it quiet the blower moves twice as much air. I can't stand on the vent or it burns my foot. Heated the house from 65 to 70 quick but it was 38 not 10 outside.

AC is working great. So much better. Keeps the house a nice 75 without much effort. Doesn't freeze up nor sound like a cat stuck in a fan belt when it starts up.

He still has the duct work upgrades and the cold air return in the living room to do. I have to install new floor registers in the living room to match his upgrades. He didn't want to cut holes in the floor.

I am pretty pleased with the install and the units those far. I pray I use less oil this up coming winter. 3 or 4 tanks a winter is getting expensive.
  • Alc, KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#29 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Little update. Got my first month electric bill running the AC. $141.00 used 1002kw. Last year comparison on the bill was 1600kw used. Big difference. Bills last summer ranged from 250 to 350. My average electric bill running no heating or cooling is usually 80 bucks.

Now let's hope the new oil furance makes that big of a difference. Took on 515 gallons of #2 heating oil. See how far that goes once we start seeing snow fly.

If it cuts down my oil and electric bill the new system will pay for itself in a few years.

Very pleased. New duct work and returns have made a huge difference. When the AC kicks on you can actually feel the room temperature going down. Before you couldnt feel anything happening.

Edited by toomanytoys84, July 05, 2015 - 12:02 PM.

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted August 08, 2015 - 08:03 PM

158 this month even with it running like crazy with the 90+ temps.

So happy!
  • olcowhand and Alc have said thanks