29 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 03:45 PM

Just had the first quote come back for my heating and AC repairs.

New Furnace(oil, trane), New AC(trane) New plenum, duct work trunk replaced, and new fuel lines ran to oil tank.

8700 dollars.

Only charging 900 in labor, rest is equipment and parts.

I need to see the quote, my wife is having the people give quotes.  We are getting 4 people locally to quote the job.  Feeling like they will all be around the same, really the only variable is labor cost, and the mark up on the equipment.  So maybe 10% difference between them is what I am expecting.  Am I wrong assuming this?

I about had a heart attack.  I had sat aside 5000 for it.  Now have to dig out another 4000.  Argh!

Also it was funny because my wife took the guy out to see where the current AC was sitting, and she said he did a double take, looked at her and said, "was this old dinosaur still working?  I haven't put one in like this since I started out in the 70s"  She told him it had worked great up until last year when the darn thing died completely and froze up into an iceberg.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 06, 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• boyscout862, HANKG and georgepf11 have said thanks

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 03:59 PM

This was just on the news yesterday or the day before.  The gov't requires the old refrigerant to be phased out and new, eco friendly and much more expensive stuff to replace it.  You should be glad you are just looking into this now.  Had you done it last year, you would have had to replace the whole system again because, guess what, the new stuff won't work in the new systems!  Ain't the government grand?

• Gtractor, superaben and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,877 Thanks
  • 2,791 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 04:16 PM

That is an excellent price you got right there
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 04:47 PM

There's a good chance that your just low on Freon. As your charge drops so do your refrigerant pressures and temp. This will cause your evaporator to freeze up. Also check and make sure your blower is running at full speed and it is clean. Restricted air flow will also cause freeze up. Have you ever had the evaporator cleaned?

• hamman, pigsitter and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 04:55 PM

There's a good chance that your just low on Freon. As your charge drops so do your refrigerant pressures and temp. This will cause your evaporator to freeze up. Also check and make sure your blower is running at full speed and it is clean. Restricted air flow will also cause freeze up. Have you ever had the evaporator cleaned?

Check your filters too.  If they are dirty your AC is about useless.

• hamman, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 05:23 PM

I don't know the size of your house but I know that oil furnaces are more expensive than gas furnaces. All AC units now I believe have to be R-410 A refrigerant. However you are still able to buy new R-22 refrigerant units that are not charged. If your old system is R-22 you can have it pumped down and that refrigerant put in the new one. Now I have to admit I haven't been in the business for 6 years so there might be some more restrictions for AC units. If I were putting in a new furnace and AC It would be the high efficiency oil and a 2 stage AC system. Sounds about right on the price but I would definitely get more estimates. Make sure to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.  Good luck with it. hope you can get it a good price.                                                                   Roger

• Alc, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 05:27 PM

Well, first summer we lived there I could not find a company who would service it. They said it was junk and needed replaced not serviced. So I just used it. Worked great that summer. Next summer it worked great till the end of the summer when it died. Honestly all the metal on the outside of it is rusted off. It makes an awful noise when it kicks on. Honestly thought a cat was stuck in it first time I heard it start.

Filters are changed every few months. Blower works great. No problems with the oil furnance minus some minor issues. But its 30 years old

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 05:30 PM

I don't know the size of your house but I know that oil furnaces are more expensive than gas furnaces. All AC units now I believe have to be R-410 A refrigerant. However you are still able to buy new R-22 refrigerant units that are not charged. If your old system is R-22 you can have it pumped down and that refrigerant put in the new one. Now I have to admit I haven't been in the business for 6 years so there might be some more restrictions for AC units. If I were putting in a new furnace and AC It would be the high efficiency oil and a 2 stage AC system. Sounds about right on the price but I would definitely get more estimates. Make sure to compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. Good luck with it. hope you can get it a good price. Roger

Thanks I was hoping you'd chime in.

House is 1300 sq ft. I'd call it a one and a half story.

The one he quoted is a trane 85% efficient unit. Seems like that's the highest efficiency oil you can get.

I'll check on whats going on with the AC unit.

Edited by toomanytoys84, May 06, 2015 - 05:31 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,940 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 05:32 PM

Wow, I paid 3400 in 2009 for furnace and heat pump/AC and I thought that was horrible.
  • hamman and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 07:50 PM

I am in refrigeration but I work with a few HVAC guys. Something that I have overheard about Trane units is that sometimes they are hard to get parts for. The Boards in them seem to be only available trough trane, I think. Alot of guys down here are installing American standard. Along with the installation cost I would be asking what the average repair cost is. Another thing I would ask is if you sign a yearly maintenance contract would the installation be cheaper. FWIW most stuff down here are Heat pumps.

The high efficiency stuff has to have high efficiency duct work too. All seams must be cover in mastic. That should be covered if they installer pulls a permit.

#11 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:07 PM

Depends on the area, I suspect that Trane will be one of the higher bids that you will receive.

It's important to have a Manual J done on the house before committing to a dealer. You can do a basic one here.  (I did a basic run on the bit of info that you posted and came up with 44,000 btu heating and 23,000 btu cooling)

With the modern equipment the instal and final setup is more important than the brand.

I doubt that anyone would propose an R-22 unit 410 A is the current Refrigerant and works well. R 22 will be non existent in a few years.

It's a good time to address any issues that you currently have such as a room that isn't heating or cooling as well as the rest of the house. You also may consider a High efficiency air filtration system.

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Good info guys.

I need to do a lot of reading.....crap....
  • hamman said thank you

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:50 PM

I feel for you. I retired from the refrigeration business 7 years ago and am shocked at the prices you were quoted. Hadn't realized costs had gone up that much. One thing though, this summer when it's hot and muggy your going to think it was money well spent. 

Before you sign anything I suggest you do a little background checking on the company your considering. 

• hamman said thank you

#14 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:22 PM

I recently sold a replacement system at work, Lennox 90,000 btu gas 95% furnace with a 14seer outdoor A/C unit plus matching Acoil and lineset,selling price was right at $5500 this did not include ductwork just equipment replacement so your price estimate is right in line with what to expect.

As for brands I went with Ruud over Trane and Lennox when I replaced my furnace a few years ago,maybe it's just me but from working on this stuff day in and day out they just seem to be built better and heavier as well as you're not paying for the name brand recognition.

No matter what brand you choose it all comes down to quality of installation. I've seen low end systems run flawlessly for years and high dollar systems fail prematurely all because of how good or poorly they were installed. As Cvans said check out the companies your getting bids from,ask for references and also ask friends and family who they've used in the past.

• Bruce Dorsi, hamman and Cvans have said thanks

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:26 PM

My personal favorite furnace is Heil. I know their oil furnaces are at or above 85% efficiency. As I said I have been out a while. The biggest thing is service and availability of parts. Most new furnaces ( at the time I left due to the company closing) have a 10 year parts warranty and most oil furnaces had a Limited lifetime warranty on the heat exchanger. You probably was quoted an new furnace plenum, evaporator coil, condenser and line set. All needed for a " change out " furnace situation. I'm not sure why they would want to replace the main trunk though?! The price quote most likely includes a permit application fee which is a good thing for you. After it is installed you city, twp, county etc., inspector comes out and makes sure it's installed to code. As was stated make sure you get a reputable well established HVAC company to do the job. I've seen to many people come to us after someone did a bad job on an install and then find out that they didn't get what they paid for. Do you homework and do read up on the information. As said also  when it gets hot this summer you will appreciate that nice cool air. 

Good luck.                                                                                                                                                                                                   Roger

• Cvans said thank you