UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 12:29 PM

I made a album of what I am doing to the 88, It will be a bit redundant to the Hat thread, but it will all be in one place.

http://imgur.com/a/POQUm#0

• KennyP, Cvans, toomanytoys84 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 12:36 PM

Nice looking truck!

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,628 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Sure wish I could find one as nice as that here in Michigan. Nice truck. Keep us up on the progress. It will look great when you are done.                     Roger

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 04:48 PM

Nice looking truck.It's in great condition compared to mine.Mines a 4x4 though.That would look great lowered an 1" or 2. A nice set of 275 65 15 tires on the back and 235 65 15 tires on the front.An Edelbrock performer t.b.i intake is a nice addition to the 5.7L if thats what yours is.I have them on both my T.B.I. 5.7s.They are an emissions legal direct bolt on and go replacement.Gives them some extra get up & go.Definately worth the money. Oh the things that could be done to that truck.

#5 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:12 PM

I had a 3/4 ton truck like that, best truck I ever had!!  I wore it out over the course of 5 years, great work truck.

Pete

#6 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:22 PM

The only car I ever bought new was my 88 Silverado 4x4. And officially it wasn't new. An older guy bought it. Kept it for a month and 800 miles and traded it. I snatched it up. I still have it nearly 400k miles later. It's holding the dirt down in my backyard. I have a short block on the stand with a bigger cam and the Edelbrock intake ckjakline mentioned sitting on the shelf ready to stab in it at anytime.

Check the horseshoe bracket that the alternator, compressor and steering pump bolt to. The bolt holes on the sheet metal version will crack out and you will spend six months trying to figure out why you keep throwing serpentine belts. The advantage to that is that you learn to change belts on the side of the road in about two minutes! Later trucks had an aluminum casting instead of the stamped sheet metal.

The heads are weak on them to. Expect anything you find to rebuild to need the heads surfaced and maybe valve guide work. The one piece rear seal is easy to install but if they leak it's not just a little. They pour. Oil pans vary from engine to engine,

The 4WD oil filter has an adapter that turns the filter 90 degrees. It works in a 2WD but uses a small filter, not the bigger Chevy filter.

The hinge pins on the glovebox door break and leave the light on inside.

When I was in Virginia all you had to have to pass inspection was a "muffling device" and the converter qualified as a muffling device so I had a three inch pipe made at the muffler shop straight out of the converter. It had a nice rumble to it.

If that truck could talk, the hunting and fishing stories it could tell.

Have fun with it.
  • KennyP and superaben have said thanks

#7 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:34 PM

One other thing. Do yourself a favor and stick a new fuel pump and sock in it while you have the bed off. Those pumps are cheap. They don't have the fuel sender integrated into them.

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:52 PM

Looks like a great project, can't wait to follow along!

#9 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,478 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 10:17 PM

Nice truck! I'm looking for a nice 2wd short body myself.

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 11:01 PM

The only car I ever bought new was my 88 Silverado 4x4. And officially it wasn't new. An older guy bought it. Kept it for a month and 800 miles and traded it. I snatched it up. I still have it nearly 400k miles later. It's holding the dirt down in my backyard. I have a short block on the stand with a bigger cam and the Edelbrock intake ckjakline mentioned sitting on the shelf ready to stab in it at anytime.
Check the horseshoe bracket that the alternator, compressor and steering pump bolt to. The bolt holes on the sheet metal version will crack out and you will spend six months trying to figure out why you keep throwing serpentine belts. The advantage to that is that you learn to change belts on the side of the road in about two minutes! Later trucks had an aluminum casting instead of the stamped sheet metal.
The heads are weak on them to. Expect anything you find to rebuild to need the heads surfaced and maybe valve guide work. The one piece rear seal is easy to install but if they leak it's not just a little. They pour. Oil pans vary from engine to engine,
The 4WD oil filter has an adapter that turns the filter 90 degrees. It works in a 2WD but uses a small filter, not the bigger Chevy filter.
The hinge pins on the glovebox door break and leave the light on inside.
When I was in Virginia all you had to have to pass inspection was a "muffling device" and the converter qualified as a muffling device so I had a three inch pipe made at the muffler shop straight out of the converter. It had a nice rumble to it.
If that truck could talk, the hunting and fishing stories it could tell.
Have fun with it.

This is my 4th Gmt400 truck. I had a 90 that I put 500k on so I know all about the small blocks. They are great work horses. When I get another burb or the big block demons cast themselves out this 88 will become a toy.

#11 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,478 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:29 AM

I want to put an LS1, 5.3, 6.0 in a short bed from the 400 series, always liked the SS454 but the motors were under powered and heavy as lead.

#12 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 07:16 AM

I still have a 1998 GMC with 1/4 mil miles. Your little short box looks sweet!

#13 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 02:54 PM

Added some more pics to the album. Going to pick up an engine tomorrow.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 03:19 PM

I hope you don't get under there with that thing up on your gantry without support.

I know you are a big boy, but I had a great uncle get squashed by a car that was jacked up.  Always makes me nervous now.

#15 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 03:24 PM

I got just close enough to soak it with degreaser. Although that is a 2 ton chain fall lifting about 700 pounds. Nearly all the weight is in the front end.

• KennyP and toomanytoys84 have said thanks