Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bolens HT20 - think i'm having PTO belt problems?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 10:22 PM

I noticed the season before last that my mower deck would slow down - yet the motor would maintain it's RPM's. Last season I didn't notice any problems with my mower deck or my rototiller. I actually used the tiller to work up my in laws rather rocky property before reseeding everything, due to the new electric and gas they had ran into their house. Even with such hard and rocky ground the rototiller never slipped - instead it'd shove the tractor ahead letting you know that the tines were not happy with the hard object they just encountered below the surface. Then, this season I noticed the mower deck started to bog down on occasion again.. and when I went to use the rototiller... it didn't seems to have the RPM or torque it did last year. My only conclusion is the PTO belt. Again, the mower deck isn't to bad... but the rototiller would occassionally stop while churning the ground (which I plowed and disked with my Brinly set). 

Any thoughts? Which belts should I buy and where can I find the best deal?

I attached a picture of the dirt after using the disk - and one after/during tilling - with my garden helpers lol. 

Thanks,

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150504_194543-1.jpg
  • 20150423_163859.jpg

• boyscout862 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#2 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 10:54 PM

Nice tractor! Nice pics ! Thanks. With nothing else changed on your unit ,I'd say a belt change is in order. There is some adjustment available at the PTO engagement lever and the threaded clevice behind it (between firewall and dash cowl) as far as tension . I'm betting new belts are the cure.
As far as best deal , you can't beat Rick (Rick's Bolens Parts),Brian ( Bolens parts and supplies) and Bob (Bob's lawn and garden tractors) all site sponsors, all go the extra mile to help, all provide excellent service! I've dealt with all three and they are top shelf . You can't put a price on that.
No doubt all our sponsors fall into this category, I've only dealt with these three so far.
PS awhile back Rich (Patton Acres) had quite a few OEM Bolens belts on ebay. I'll let others slug it out new vs NOS . Just my thoughts

Regards Kevin
  • Bolens 1000, boyscout862, nglauer and 1 other said thanks

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 11:48 PM

The first thing I would so is check the belt tension, and adjust it.

You can find the instructions on how to do so on page 5-5 of the Large Frame Service Manual.

If that doesn't cure it, then new belts are in order.

Like Kevin said, get a set from one of our site sponsors.  That way you will know that you get the proper length and type.

Remember, if you DO need new belts, you will have to make the adjustment on page 5-5, but in reverse, so you don't have too much tension.

• boyscout862, nglauer and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 06:38 AM

If belt tension is correct I say your belts are worn

Did you get them from an auto store last time?

I do stock USA made matched sets with free shipping if you need them

https://bolenspartsa...22639-set-of-3/

• nglauer and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#5 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 10:12 AM

If belt tension is correct I say your belts are worn

Did you get them from an auto store last time?

I do stock USA made matched sets with free shipping if you need them

https://bolenspartsa...22639-set-of-3/

I've never replaced them, and I have no clue when grandpa would have replaced them.. but the machine sat in the corner of the garage for nearly 15 years before I got it running again. I believe I adjusted the tension once, but my young timers is getting the best of me.. and don't remember if it was the HT20 or HT23 that I adjusted. 

I do have a set of PTO belts, but they are NOS - they came with my HT23 - and although new, they do look to have been on this earth longer than me lol. I imagine the belt on my mower deck is due for a replacement too, as it probably hasn't been replaced since the early 90's.. if even that recently lol. 

Thanks again!

• MyBolens1053 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 12:48 PM

Belts will dry out with age and will loose there effectiveness. Rather than the drive pulley gripping the belt it will slip on it.  Might try some belt dressing on then and see if that helps.  If they are not to bad you can get another season or so out of them.  Have done this on several MTD drive belts with success.  Just one more option.

• nglauer and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#7 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 01:42 PM

Hi Nick, After reading your post a few times it reminded me of my first issue I had with my 1053. Deck started to slow down on rotations and then pick back up, then slow and back up, but, when I used the tiller all was fine and I would get 'walked' if it hit something real hard. So, I replaced the deck belt and that didn't help.

Ended up that the gears in the gearbox were ground down due to lack of checking gear oil and not topping it off. Leaky seal was the cause.

So, I would suggest to check the PTO belts, deck belt, tension spring on idler pulley of the deck and CHECK THE GEARBOX. Those gears are NLA as NOS but, other gearboxes are out there.

Good luck.

#8 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 07, 2015 - 11:40 PM

Hi Nick, After reading your post a few times it reminded me of my first issue I had with my 1053. Deck started to slow down on rotations and then pick back up, then slow and back up, but, when I used the tiller all was fine and I would get 'walked' if it hit something real hard. So, I replaced the deck belt and that didn't help.

Ended up that the gears in the gearbox were ground down due to lack of checking gear oil and not topping it off. Leaky seal was the cause.

I've never thought to tear open the gear box. I have two mower decks, so I could always part the other one if needed. I did adjust the belt tension, I think I turned the clevis end about 3 times, and I could tell a significant difference with the rototiller. I found some belt dressing in the garage and may give it a try as well. The real test will be the mower deck - if I don't notice a change with it - then I will replace the deck belt and possibly the gear box.

Thanks again!

Nick