• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 235 Thanks
  • 196 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 04:48 AM

Around where I live the power companies and road maintenance departments hire professional tree service companies to do right of way work. I wonder if the guy in charge where you live would appreciate having the same thing done to the trees around his house?

• boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,233 Thanks
  • 28,597 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Low bid usually is not the cheapest in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

There is a big difference between "Cheapest" and "Best Dollar Value Procurement"
Unfortunately, some of our "Leaders" forgot that.
  • boyscout862, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 07:00 AM

There is a big difference between "Cheapest" and "Best Dollar Value Procurement"
Unfortunately, some of our "Leaders" forgot that.

Most of our leaders are only interested in what is personally best for them. I did town engineering work to a higher standard and much greater effeciency than the state department of transportation but, I did not personally contribute to the pockets of politicians and high ranking bureaucrats. They got rid of me  and suddenly projects that I was doing for under $50,000 started to cost $200,000 and more. The tax payers were screwed but the leaders were happy. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:09 AM

That is just nuts, stupid beaurocratic BS. They trim our road with a flail, mowed a nice hedge of honey suckle by my drive last fall. It is about 5 feet from road, but I keep them trimmed and tidy. They mowed them to the ground almost, at least they are coming back.
County took an acre of out property with no compensation a few years back so nothing surprises me.
  • BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,712 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:09 AM

It's not a bid job, it's the county employees, the guy running the excavator is the guy who runs the road grader, I even know him and he's not the brightest guy out there and now he really conformed it!. He can't even run the road grader, every time he blades the roads he cuts them down 3inches so now non of the water drains off the road. At the end of the road when he picks up the blade there is always a deep gouge in the road because he goes down with the blade instead of up. The county brought out a scraper to work on the ditches and guess who was using it!. He did a half way decent job but he didn't work on the ditches where the road floods the worst. This guy needs to be canned and the job needs to be handed over to me, I could do a heck of a lot better job, at least I know the basics of drainage.

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and oldedeeres have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,520 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 09:24 AM

That is just nuts, stupid beaurocratic BS. They trim our road with a flail, mowed a nice hedge of honey suckle by my drive last fall. It is about 5 feet from road, but I keep them trimmed and tidy. They mowed them to the ground almost, at least they are coming back.
County took an acre of out property with no compensation a few years back so nothing surprises me.

Unfortunately you need to get a lawyer to make them pay up. Not paying fair price is a bullying tactic that evil politicians use. The laws usually say that they are supposed to pay fair market value or the amount that the property has decreased in value. I've seen them over pay to friends and screw the people that could not afford a laywer. One of the worst culprits was Boston. When doing a project where they took hundreds of houses, they only paid $1 and said "let them sue us for the rest". Good Luck, Rick

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 11:21 AM

Unfortunately you need to get a lawyer to make them pay up. Not paying fair price is a bullying tactic that evil politicians use. The laws usually say that they are supposed to pay fair market value or the amount that the property has decreased in value. I've seen them over pay to friends and screw the people that could not afford a laywer. One of the worst culprits was Boston. When doing a project where they took hundreds of houses, they only paid $1 and said "let them sue us for the rest". Good Luck, Rick

Yes, I know. I even had a rep from the county commissioner's office tell me I need to find a lawyer. Bad thing is trying to find one outside of the good old boys club in our city. The millionaire farmers down the road lost closed to 50 acres, the took it to the Ohio supreme court and lost. Some loophole from a 1963 govenor decree giving property to state. All they got back was 4-5 yrs of back taxes, shoot lawyer would cost more than we would get back....just a wash I guess. Funny, my deed my mom has from 1971 still says we own it, no new deed on record.
  • boyscout862 said thank you