#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 12:41 PM

The stupid county (Marion County) is doing their tree trimming of all the hedge rows around here. They trim the trees with a excavator and follow up with a high loader. He tore apart all the hedge rows and piling all the trees/limbs along side the road packing them tight in the ditches (wonder why the roads flood). They came down our road and shredded the hedge row about a 1/4 mile away, then they got to our house and he smashed, crushed, and chewed on 3 of our trees on our little hedge row on our property. We got him stopped and he said the trees are the counties (although they are on our property) and he said they are to close to the road. My family has lived out here for over 30years and these trees have been here the whole time. These trees are also inline with our little hedge row and non of them are close to the road. I even did some trimming on all of them about a month ago to keep them back.

Anyway, I'm contacting the county and I'm going to figure out on how close a tree can be to the road. They are going to regret pulling out my trees.

Attached Thumbnails

• County Tree Trimming 034.jpg
  • County Tree Trimming 027.jpg
  • County Tree Trimming 028.jpg
  • County Tree Trimming 030.jpg
  • County Tree Trimming 033.jpg

• hamman, pharmer, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 01:25 PM

Wow....real dirt public roads. That's cool.
  • Dieselcubmike, BTS and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 01:43 PM

My township trims the trees along the road with one of those side boom mounted flail mowers. It chews the heck out the trees and makes them look pretty bad. They "mowed" a neighbors trees along the road and he made a BIG billboard and put it up in his front yard thanking them for the nice trimming job they did. It makes no sense to me why they would do that to your hedge. I hope you can get some results out of your county.

• pharmer, Dieselcubmike, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

#4 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,639 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 02:46 PM

I would be really p###ed off , it's not like your on a highway with 60mph traffic.Do you have a survey of your property? Take lots of pictures and raise cane at the town board meetings. If the trees are on your property their yours but they can trim what hangs over on the county property but to rip off branches with an excavator is real hack job I wish you luck with this.   

• pharmer, boyscout862, BTS and 1 other said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Are they leaving the trees like that???  Holy cow, what a mess. nice country road, or was.  Jumpins, I would be some mad.  Plant more.    Noel

• pharmer, boyscout862, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 03:52 PM

I agree they will regret that !!!   what a load of BS, they are going around here cutting anything back that is with in 50' of the power lines.  so if you gave them a rite of way 40 years ago they are now coming thru and clearing a swath in your land and not stopping to ask.  they cut a row of maples in front of the school that were planted by the graduating class the year they gave the power company the rite of way to put the poles in.  the town raised holy heck but the power company came in one day in the evening and just leveled the row before anyone realized what they were doing !!! 

These towns and power company's act like they own the land, if they want it they can have it just pay the taxes on it !!!  really burns me the way you get treated even after you buy a place and keep the taxes paid !!!  you should be able to do what you like when you like no matter what !!

Pete

• MH81, pharmer, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 04:17 PM

I hope they don't leave them like that ! That's a horrible way to trim trees. Here in Michigan the road right of way is 33' each side of the road center. However the road has to have a name on it. I guess I would get in contact with the road commissioner from your area to see if this is right. Sad to see them that way. If you were to do this they would be all over you about it. Hope you can get it straightened out.  Good luck .                                                                            Roger

• pharmer, BTS, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 04:51 PM

I'm on both sides of this topic. I was a town engineer for 10 years. The trees that need to be trimmed along public roads should be trimmed with reasonable professional standards. The government and public utilities have been lax in doing proper maintenance for decades. After the storms of the last 5 years, many states passed laws requireing aggressive trimming.

The work should be done neat and safely. Yours doesn't look either.

Check to see if your land or the road have a survey. The other possability is that the town or county passed an ordinance that gave them so many feet from the center line.

I gave our power company permission to trim in front of our property. They took down about 20 trees. I found them when they were almost done and tried to get them to take down 10 more. They did a neat and professional job. It is now safer to come out of my driveway and our power lines are safer. After Irene we were without power for 10 days. The bonus came in winter when the icy road in front of us melted much faster and stayed alot drier. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, pharmer, BTS and 3 others have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:05 PM

The trees that need to be trimmed along public roads should be trimmed with reasonable professional standards.

That's the key here. That is butchering and making a horrible mess. No professional standard

The power company came and trimmed a pine tree of mine that was into the power lines. They did a nice job and I even asked him to wack a bit more off of it and cut the top down as it was getting taller than I wanted. He said sure no problem. They threw it all in the chipper and left.
  • boyscout862, BTS and Bill 76 have said thanks

#10 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,433 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:07 PM

I suppose none of the employees had to get off their butts and lift a finger to make that mess. 

• pharmer, boyscout862, BTS and 2 others have said thanks

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:21 PM

Ummmhhh . . . . .        you don't suppose there were some endangered birds nesting in there, do you???

• MH81, pharmer, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#12 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 07:50 PM

There is a 35 foot right a way from the center line of the highway that I live on. They used to do mine the same way and drive off and leave the mess to never return. I stopped that by having a dozer clean the whole bank and planted grass. Moved back to 50 foot and replanted trees.

• BTS said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 11:21 PM

The guy running the excavator said that he will pull the trees out, but I told him to leave. I didn't want the huge holes to try and fill in and I didn't want him around any longer. But all the other hedge rows are in very bad shape, the picture is of the hedge row down the road and it's not even the worst looking one. I will get some more pictures tomorrow.

I'm sure these trees were not to close to the road, I measured 12 feet from the trunk to the edge of the road and I keep these trees trimmed so they are not even close to the road. The electric poles and fence post are 8 feet from post to edge of road and I didn't see him pulling any of those out?. there isn't even a electric line within 300 feet of these trees. I don't know what their problem is.

My neighbor that lives 1/4 mile away from me had some trees about 20 feet back in her lawn, he went through and pulled off all the limbs facing the road and again the limbs weren't even close to the road.

Our road probably gets 2 maybe 3 cars down it a day, and 2 of those are farmers that have cattle 1/2 mile away. I don't know why all this money has to be spend on expensive machinery, fuel and time. When our county can't afford gravel for the roads, when ever it rains it's about impossible to get out because of the mud. I don't even drive a low to the ground car or anything, one day I got stuck right in the middle of the (gravel) road with my pickup and trailer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Hedge Row 001.jpg

Edited by BTS, May 05, 2015 - 11:23 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 11:34 PM

Sounds like a new guy is in charge. See if that isn't the case and invite them out for lemonade and a tour. See if you can catch a few flies with honey.

Sometimes what looks good on paper...

As for the joker running the machine. He must've been low bid. He needs to be sent packing.
  • boyscout862 and BTS have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 03:29 AM

Sounds like a new guy is in charge. See if that isn't the case and invite them out for lemonade and a tour. See if you can catch a few flies with honey.

Sometimes what looks good on paper...

As for the joker running the machine. He must've been low bid. He needs to be sent packing.

Low bid usually is not the cheapest in the long run. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 and BTS have said thanks