4 replies to this topic

#1 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 12:01 PM

I'm thinking of replacing the entire starter in my DGT 1700. The bendix solenoid kicks out every now and then when I try to start it. I'm not sure if I could rebuild or order a new solenoid?

I'm a bit worried about buying a starter as there are certain applications for them. I would need to be sure that it fits this particular engine spec L3A-61BG and I don't want a Chinese after market one. I've heard they last two years tops. Any suggestions on just replacing the solenoid vs a complete starter? This will be used in the Winter so it needs to work. Thank you for your ideas. 

• blackjackjakexxix and chieffan have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,136 Thanks
  • 4,487 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 02:00 PM

You have a foreign made engine so why worry about a foreign made starter?  Better check you starter out close as if you need new bushings and or brushes, you my be out of luck.  Get a new starter from reputable dealer for your engine and be worry free.  Why rebuild the driver only to need new bearings and brushes later?  Just went through that with my Briggs.  New starter was $90.  Drive was $28 and end cap with bushing was $35 and brushes are no longer available.  New starter works just fine.

• Husky said thank you

#3 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,344 Thanks
  • 1,753 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 07:34 PM

If you have a shop by I would let them go through it and make sure all is good,IMO
  • Husky and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 06:46 AM

Thank you guys. I don't believe that the Mitsubishi engine on that tractor was made by the same people who make the cheap Chinese after market starters. With that said I will either get a new starter from a reputable dealer or I will go to a shop and have mine rebuilt. I never gave that a thought. Thank you for the ideas. 

• chieffan said thank you

#5 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 922 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 11:52 AM

I found a good reputable shop very near by. He has good approval ratings from other people. I spoke to him and he does starter repair and rebuilds. I'll drop by to see him when I get a chance. I'm glad I posted my question here you guys were helpful.

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks