• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tbart16 OFFLINE  

tbart16
  • Member No: 50906
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Was having some carb problems so I bit the bullet and bought a new one. Installed new carb tractor fired right up ran smooth as silk no issues no problems. Next day I go to fire it up and no go it seemed like the carb flooded in no time. What can I do to make this thing easier to start? thanks Tom

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Welcome aboard.  If you could provide the make, model of the tractor and of the Engine we may be able to help. Is this one of those Chinese carburetors?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 10:11 AM

Welcome to GTT. Our Manuals Section will have the manual for your engine. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 11:36 AM

Sounds like it stuck after it was able to have fuel run through and all the components lubed.  Try sticking the needle from your old cab in there.  Sometimes I've found the old ones, with hardened rubber (from age, i assume) wont stick as bad or as often as a new one will.   Could also simply be the new float is out of adjustment.  

Did it pee on the ground?

#5 tbart16 OFFLINE  

tbart16
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 01:05 PM

Sorry I didn't introduce myself. Tom from PA.  The patient a Simplicity Sovereign model 3416h. 16 hp briggs engine. I got the tractor last spring for a song and a dance. New plug fresh gas and shiny new battery and it ran like a top. After about 2 months of use it started fouling the plugs and was backfiring and popping and also peeing on the ground so I had the carb rebuilt.  after the rebuild the tractor ran good. Well the tractor was left outside for a couple days and we had some rian which leaked into the tank through the cracked gas cap. Not realizing this happened I was able to start tractor and drive it into the garage. a couple days later went to use tractor and it would not start. So winter came so I didn't pay much attention to the tractor. About a month ago I put 2+2 together realized what happened the water actually froze inside the carb and cracked it. that is why I picked up the new in box Briggs carb it cost me more than the tractor LOL.

Sorry about the book hope this info helps

I am guessing the year to be around 73 -74.

Right now it is not peeing on the ground until it floods. I guess I could check the float adjustment I figured new in box everything would be good to go.

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,521 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 04:29 PM

Water in the fuel tank could have caused rust. A piece of rust could have gone throught to the float valve and stuck there. I have seen valves stuck open and stuck closed. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Did you drain the tank and put fresh gas in it?  If not you could have a piece of trash holding open the float needle.  You also may need to adjust the fuel / air mixture.

#8 tbart16 OFFLINE  

tbart16
  • 3 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Yep fresh gas but you never know ,thanks

#9 tbart16 OFFLINE  

tbart16
  • 3 Thanks