• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:20 AM

from the first time I saw an ad for them in Popular Science as a young teen more years ago than I like to think about, I have lusted after a mini dozer.  I got a set of plans from a Magnatrac from Struck, but didn't have the means to buy a Peerless transmission nor a source for the track chain.

A few years ago, before they relaunched the MiniDozer, RS1000, and RS 196, Struck had PDFs of the drawings for the early MD models on their website.  At that time, they obviously considered the design obsolete and downloaded copies would do them little commercial harm.  I downloaded and saved a copy of the plans for the MD1200/1600.  I did make a modified copy of the MDs, but that would be another lengthy thread in it's own right.....

Anyway, as this story goes, when Struck relaunched the design as the RS1000/RS196K, they took the PDF plans off their website.  After some success with the slightly improved RS1000, which sold as fully assembled and tested units, they saw a demand for a return to Kit dozers and launched the RS196K kits dozers.  The RS196 comes as a set of unpainted parts, but includes most of the improvements of the RS line with a smaller engine and manual attachments. 

The basic principle is the buyer can paint and assemble the dozer and save some $.  The other thing that caught my attention was that they marketed it as an ideal parent/child construction project.  Save $ on a new toy and have an opportunity to pass along some mechanical skills to the kids?  It was a relatively easy sell to the Chief Finance Officer, so I ordered the kit.

The biggest differences between the RS196 and the older MDs is the conversion from the serpentine hex belt running the counter shafts to a +/- HD 40 chain and the extra height from placing the engine (now reversed) on a +/- 4" pedestal.   The RS1000 has these features as well as some beefed up transmission and engine stuff as well as having hydraulics for attachments.

More to come later.....  including pictures IF I can figure out the upload routine and maybe even video, again IF I can reduce the file size to something manageable and get them uploaded.

Edited by camdigger, May 04, 2015 - 07:23 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:24 AM

It would be great to see a build on one of those dozers. Thanks for posting this.

• boyscout862, Chopperhed and michael.kitko have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 08:05 AM

I've been watching for years also. New stuff I got info on about 8 yrs ago and was way expensive. the little kit or unit that they came back out with, wasn't in that info yet. ON those plans, what is chance of making copy to sell me?  You might worry of the copyright or something, but WHO's gonna tell and isn't like you are making 100's or anything to sell. Do plans show the hydraulics option in them?  The orig had lots of pulleys and belts to drive it, does these plans show same system?  There is a STruck forum on Yahoo Groups I'm on, but haven't been back in long time. Are you member there?  One member has about ALL the units made by them, including lawn mowers, the Jeeps and odd items offered over years. Pretty neat collection all done up nice.

• boyscout862 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#4 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 08:35 AM

JDB  Stay tuned to this channel.....  the story to date ends just shy of showroom fit and finish.  Why that is... is why you need to stay tuned!

GLGrumpy...  I personally have no issue sharing what was originally posted on the Struck site.  The modifications to the design should be obvious once I get a little further along with the story.  I do not have the hydraulic option, although I have some ideas for a add-on....  Is there some kind of personal message feature here you could send me an email to?  (Be patient, I`m new in town)

Edited by camdigger, May 04, 2015 - 09:02 AM.

• Chopperhed and michael.kitko have said thanks

#5 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:01 AM

The kit comes as a set of several cardboard boxes strapped to a light duty wooden pallet. The unpainted parts are laid into the cardboard boxes one atop the other with no packing between. The skid is far too light for international shipping and was in bad shape on arrival. The boxes are subject to crushing, the only box that was well packed IMHO was the engine in its` OEM box. Thankfully, there was no serious damage, but for as long as they have been shipping stuff, I was a bit disappointed.

Struck will ship to the nearest freight depot and the skid easily fit into my long box pickup. Mini-me and I went to Cowtown to pick it up at the big FedEx terminal. As promised by Struck, the people at the freight terminal loaded the skid on my pickup and we were off.

While we were that close, we went into the big city and picked up paint supplies. I settled on a $100 pint of self etching off-white primer and 1 1/2 pints ($80) of 3 part epoxy custom tinted to `new Cat Yellow`. I also bought a $100 HVLP gun to put it on with. I also bought a few rattle cans each of TremClad white primer, semi gloss black, and yellow paint. I also got some advice from the vendor and the supplier rep who happened to be on site.

Me n mini-me hit the road with our new project..... When we got home, we backed up the truck in front of the designated/commandeered/temporarily reassigned assembly area, and proceeded to unload it all by opening the boxes and laying out the parts in the assembly area.
DSCN3086.JPG
DSCN3094.JPG
  • Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,469 Thanks
  • 39,703 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:02 AM

JDB  Stay tuned to this channel.....  the story to date ends just shy of showroom fit and finish.  Why that is... is why you need to stay tuned!

Ol Grumpy...  I personally have no issue sharing what was originally posted on the Struck site.  The modifications to the design should be obvious once I get a little further along with the story.  I do not have the hydraulic option, although I have some ideas for a add-on....  Is there some kind of personal message feature here you could send me an email to?  (Be patient, I`m new in town)

Just to the left of your screen name at the top of the page is a little envelope. That is the personal messenger.

For uploading pics, click on the link in my signature.

I see you got pics figured out.

Edited by KennyP, May 04, 2015 - 09:05 AM.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#7 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I HATE PAINTING.

After we got the parts unloaded and a rough check done on the contents, we had to leave on our annual multifamily Father`s day campout.  I snuck away from the campout and spent a full day painting parts.

The advice I got from the paint dudes was to hang the parts up and spray them continuously with a wet on wet process.  I hung the parts with wire from a home made gantry and set about spraying the parts.  All in all, it took over 8 hours to do this.  There are a surprisingly large number of parts...  After all was done, I clean myself and the gun up as well as I could and returned to the campout.

Next morning I returned hoping to take down all the parts and maybe even put in a bolt or two.  What I saw from the road made me sick to my stomach.  Between the time I left and the time I got back ,the wind had come up and had caused the parts to slide together on the top rail of the gantry.  I was greeted by the sound of the most expensive wind chime I`ve ever heard as the parts clanged against each other in the wind.  As I took the parts down, I surveyed the damage.  Some of the parts were down to bare metal in spots and the paint severely damaged in others.  In a fit of pique, I took the rest of the parts down and painted those that got missed with the rattle cans and went back to the camp site in a huff.  Even without the dings, the stuff I did with the rattle cans has just as good an appearance as the ones done with the high dollar, custom tinted paint applied with the expensive (to me) HVLP gun. :wallbanging:

Edited by camdigger, May 04, 2015 - 09:19 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc and Chopperhed have said thanks

#8 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:40 AM

The morning after we got back from our extended campout in the Foothills, I enlisted Mini-me and spent the morning assembling bits and bobs.  After 2 1/2 hours we hit our first snag....  Among all the commotion, I had missed the fact that some plates needed to mount the rear axle had not been included...  Not before we spent an hour going through all the packing material, moving every part at least twice to look underneath, and everywhere near the assembly and painting areas and combing the lawn between the two places... :(

As it happened, I was headed to see a friend who just so happens to have a PlasmaCam.  I managed to work the build into the conversation over the course of the overnight visit and produced a conveniently smuggled along sample part.  After hearing my long, sad tale of woe, he proceeded to buzz out a couple replacement parts.

After getting home, unpacking, dumping, and winterizing the trailer, No. 1 daughter (the mechanically inclined one), mini-me and I went back out to resume the assembly process.  After 7 or 8 hours, we were 80% done when two of our fellow campers and their wives showed up for what was  supposed to be the big reveal.

I managed to wheedle them into helping with the assembly.  After a couple more hours and several trips to my shop for replacements for more missing parts, we had the machine ready to test drive.  I felt just a bit guilty about tricking my visitors into helping with the assembly, so I let them take the first test drive while I stood by listening for bad noises, to pick up anything that fell off (thankfully, only a bolt or two), and snap a picture or two. 

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3102.JPG

DSCN3104.JPG

After everyone who`d helped with the assembly took a spin around the yard, I parked the dozer in the assembly area and sat down to visit with our friends.

Edited by camdigger, May 04, 2015 - 10:09 AM.

• Gtractor, Alc, CRFarnsworth and 2 others have said thanks

#9 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:27 AM

The next morning I went out with No 1 daughter to install the ground engaging attachments - the ripper and dozer blade.  the ripper kit went together relatively easily, but the dozer assembly was.....  missing bushings, and the latch plate to hold the dozer in position :wallbanging:

After 45 minutes in the shop hunting up material and turning the 6 replacement bushings in my lathe, my helper had lost interest so after finding her and dragging her back to the task at hand, we finished mounting the dozer blade and pulled the little gaffer up in front of the house for a glamour shot. DSCN3108.JPG

I didn`t have an time for any major work as I had a plane to catch.  I did push a little stuff around on my way back to put the machine into storage.  :dancingbanana:

DSCN3116.JPG

Struck did eventually send a package of replacement parts, but I haven`t had a chance to confirm the completeness of the order yet.

I am still fond of this little machine, but disappointed with the way it was packed and shipped.  Without being able to make or source replacements for missing items in my own shop and my friends, the build would have dragged out for over a month even if I did have that kind of time.  With my work schedule, it will be over a year. :mad2:

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#10 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Someday, if I ever get over my dislike of painting, I may try to fix the paint job.  I think that would require a substantial disassembly, paint prep, repaint and reassembly.  Not my idea of fun.

I have not put the supplied decals on because I think they`d be a one shot deal and be hard to remove.

Edited by camdigger, May 04, 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#11 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Nice dozer!! i see struck still has the same basic design of there old dozers and looks quite the same.  I kinda laughed when reading cause when we painted my dozer it took 8 hours casue we had 430 some parts that all got primed painted and cleared

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Well, neat story for sure. You sure work lots faster than I could have on it. Mine would have been a 3 month's ordeal. Odd they were short on parts, would think packers had a list of little bags of things and would have gone thru it?  Anyway, I Like it! Good job.

• Chopperhed and camdigger have said thanks

#13 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:57 PM

You done good. It looks great from here. Never underestimate a good internet paint job.

All It has to do is look good on the internet.

Anu one else that complains, can look at it from the underside of the treads.

Edited by Chopperhed, May 04, 2015 - 10:58 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,469 Thanks
  • 39,703 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 04:26 AM

Cool dozer! Sorry to hear of all the issues getting it put together.

#15 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 05:18 PM

I'm curious, do you have any idea of the final weight and ground pressure?