• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 05:49 AM

Now my tractor is running well it is time to turn my attention to all the essential adjustments that will have been overlooked/are needed for optimal life - i will be doing the rear end play tomorrow, what other adjustments/ checks should i be doing? Consider every check required as who knows how onto it previous owners were. Thanks

Edited by MichaelBeck, May 04, 2015 - 02:31 PM.

• laurarg3 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 06:03 AM

Check through our Manuals Section for what you want(its three for free per day). I suggest this and follow its proceedures: http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/ . Good Luck, Rick

Try this too. http://gardentractor...327-bolens-800/

And this: http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

Edited by boyscout862, May 04, 2015 - 06:11 AM.

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#3 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 06:08 AM

Thanks Rick, i have every manual going, have used to get the S8D going perfectly, i suppose i was more asking if there is a shortlist of essential adjustments from which i can then refer to the manual on the correct how to. Noting the manual shows the adjustment for things that would only be done upon intial assembly etc

Edited by MichaelBeck, May 04, 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Clutch & brake adjustment, fluid condition and level in transaxle/hydro, tire air pressure, are a few I like to check over spring and fall.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,692 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:11 AM

:ditto:

Check your transmission oil and change if it looks bad, grease the tractor and perform any brake adjustments that are necessary.

Check bolts/pins to see if any are loose/missing

#6 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 03:09 PM

Transmission is my current headache - it must have leaked  at one point so the PO has stuffed it full of grease, (hence the order for new gaskets :p )  I have scraped as much out as I can and have 90wt oil sloshing round in there at the moment to break up the rest, will drain and refill with new gaskets when they arrive. Anyone know a good trick for removing grease from gearboxes?.

#7 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 11:05 PM

We used to use kerosene or diesel. Slosh it around in there, drain it out, refill with proper lube, slosh it around and drain that out, then refill with fresh lube.

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,157 Thanks
  • 4,503 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:02 AM

WD40 is about as good a grease cutter as there is.  Spray it in there, let it soak a bit and use any thing you can into the smaller places to get the grease out.  Then use a brush to finish up.  Use to use it all the time on chain drive motorcycle back wheels.  Had to keep the chain lubed and it would fly all over the back chrome rim.  Spray it down with WD40, let a soak a bit and wipe it off.  Still use it to de-bug the front of a vehicle.  A good cleaner but not worth crap as a lubricant.

#9 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 11:36 PM

Did the rear end play today, Interesting was even doing up LH nut very tight the gears did not bind. However it only took a few turns from RHS to nut the gears up when I did that side. I didn't get the LH nut up enough to bind - I would have had to put the wheels on the ground to stop them spinning. As it was i was leaning my weight on the wheel to stop it spinning. I followed the manual to the T, just didn't want to get carried away as the manual states to 'snug up' only. Anyone see any problems with not getting it right up to bind point on LHS? As stated I did the nut up tight before I backed it off.

#10 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:31 AM

Be sure to hit the grease fitting hidden under it on the lower steering shaft..