#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 10:20 AM

............................................................................... to all of us. As I get older I think more and more about the safety of my self and others who may be around me when I am working on something around the home or with others. I know that in our GT hobby the threat of our tractor falling on or tipping on us is minimal but as we have a this hobby more of us are getting into bigger tractors or vehicles and safety is a major concern when working , working on or around these bigger vehicles.
What got me thinking of this is just a few minutes ago we heard on the scanner of a 22 yo female trapped under a tractor a on a farm way to the East of us. I immediately thought of the times as a Police Officer and FF EMT that I had responded to this very same type of accident. Some with good outcomes and some not.
Please stay safe and aware when working on around anything you may be working on. Our prayers and good thoughts for all of those who share this hobby or make a living with tractors and the land you work. Also for everyone who works and provides for their families. We especially pray for this young lady and her family and those who have responded to the call for hope. On today, this day of Sunday.
Please be safe and stay healthy. Roger and Mrs. Hamman
  • Gtractor, MH81, KennyP and 11 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 10:34 AM

In addition to Rogers post.  Big or small, every day we need to think safety, not just in the operation of the equipment but also as we work on it.  We have had several members get hurt or almost get hurt using tools in the shop.  I cannot tell you how many times I have started to do a job and stopped to put safety glasses on, secure what ever I'm working on or to simply take a second look to see if there is something there that could bite me.  Think about it before you do it, it just might make your day a bit better.

• hamman, KennyP, tinbender7 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 10:53 AM

I hold a safety meeting with the crew at work once a month and we never rush through the meetings to get them over with. Much is talked about, and we go over the fatalities from across the country from the previous month. These fatalities happen for various reasons and happen to people with all different levels of experience and years of service, so nobody is immune to making a poor decision that can result in a near miss, injury, or a fatality. Be careful in everything you do, and don't take chances and short cuts. Never get complacent and be willing to help those who could use a hand when you can.
  • hamman, KennyP, truck21 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 11:14 AM

PTO shafts claim many hands, arms, legs or even lives. Loose clothing is often wound up and folks are pulled into them with dire results.  Many die!   Respect large equipment and think before you come close to it.  Now that farming is going in earnest this is thr best time to bring this up..   :good_job:

• hamman, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#5 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,519 Thanks
  • 3,394 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 11:43 AM

If you're to rushed to be safe, then wait until you have time.

• hamman, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 01:56 PM

I was using the National mower earlier and started mentally counting all the places where a lack of attention could cause a loss of digits.
I ran out of things to count on... Luckily it was north of 20 when I had to quit.
I won't let anyone including myself drive it without steel toes on.

Thank you for the well wishes, and the same to the Hammands.
Good luck to the lady and her family, I hope it all comes out ok.
  • hamman and MFDAC have said thanks

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hope the best for the young girl.

Anything can be dangerous. My little boy proved that me when he about gave me a concussion last night with a plastic giraffe!

My great uncle died when a car he was working on fell on him. My dad always tells the story about his bus driver getting killed when a farm tractor rolled on him.
  • hamman said thank you

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,911 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:43 PM

I often look at the belt drive on the back of my 1964 simplicity just above the hitch and what it would break on you if you got your shirt sleeve caught in it. I have to remind myself to shut the machine down before hooking up my cart, the close proximity of that drive is inherently dangerous. Thanks Roger for posting this thread as it makes all of us more aware, we all need to be reminded occasionally .

Edited by HANKG, May 03, 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks