Sandblasting Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jasper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 994
  • 15 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:01 PM

I've started disassembling my SS16 and need it sandblasted what should it cost to have it completely blasted? I'm considering buy a sandblasted but am worried about the health risk of breathing the sand. I figure between $300 - $500 for a good blaster with accessories and safety gear. I also bought a 1962 John Deere 1010 that needs a paint job so they both should pay for the blaster.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 02:39 AM

Look around here first. Blasting Guide, Abrasive Blasting Guide, Abrasive Blasting Help, Abrasive Blasting Information, Abrasive Blasting Tips
That should get you started with some good proper info, Although I still use sand some when reclaiming and reuseing ain't practical(you can get 9-12 uses out of a $20 bag of coal slag, or 20-30 uses from a $60 bag of glass bead, and 1-2 from a $4 bag of sand). The modern medias work better and if you can contain and reuse are cheaper and safer than sand, most of the media used for blasting don't have the silicosis hazard. You'll still want to use a resperator or inline air anyways though(not a dust mask!).
Make sure your levys are sound for the flood of info you'll get on equipment, but bottom line is, your blaster will be dedermined by how much air your able to feed it.
Pressure feed units are more efficiant, more cumbersome and pricier than a sifon feed type.
$300 should be more than enugh to get all the gear you need for your projects.

#3 Jasper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 994
  • 15 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 09:21 PM

Thanks Billy,

After reading the article on electrolysis I don’t think I’m going to get a sandblaster

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted March 24, 2011 - 05:30 AM

Electrolysis claims another one LOL. I am still waiting to give the electrolysis tank another try. I think it was just too cold out when we tried it. That and I need to get some flat stock for the anodes. I do however like sandblasting depending on what I am doing because I am impatient a lot of times LOL