5 replies to this topic

#1 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • Member No: 15926
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hello,

I'm looking for some information on the seal on the rear engine shaft.  My grandpa needed to replace the bushing in the clutch flywheel and decided to take the engine/flywheel to someone to have them remove it.  I wasn't there so I don't know details but the guy broke the flywheel and now the seal on the rear engine shaft is leaking.  Does anyone know if this is a common seal, and if it is, what is the part number? 

I'm also looking for a flywheel if anyone happens to have a spare laying around.  I'm not sure if they used different sized flywheels for different years or motors.  Please let me know if they did so I can get that information from him and avoid buying the wrong part.    I do know it has the 24" rear wheels and it is a long hood.

Thanks for any help

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 07:12 AM

What model engine?

I can likely find one for you but need more info

• willy1094 said thank you

#3 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 07:26 AM

I'm pretty sure it is the 14 hp k321 but I will double check.  Thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,648 Thanks
  • 6,464 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 09:39 AM

K engines use a 1-1/8" shaft flywheel. Most are this one and the same. Briggs engines were different. Just make sure it has the pulley count same on back, most are two pulleys. Fella must have pried or pulled on outer edge of it and that is a no-no.  Wonder if he is aware of two set screws also. Most are seized on and require wedges used between pulleys and the block in back, or good center puller from front that goes accross the bellhousing and pulls on center of the flywheel. Lots of penetrant is also needed, Clean up the shaft, new key and set screws and use anti-sieze lightly on the shaft when assembling.

• willy1094 and MNGB have said thanks

#5 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 11:23 AM

K engines use a 1-1/8" shaft flywheel. Most are this one and the same. Briggs engines were different. Just make sure it has the pulley count same on back, most are two pulleys. Fella must have pried or pulled on outer edge of it and that is a no-no.  Wonder if he is aware of two set screws also. Most are seized on and require wedges used between pulleys and the block in back, or good center puller from front that goes accross the bellhousing and pulls on center of the flywheel. Lots of penetrant is also needed, Clean up the shaft, new key and set screws and use anti-sieze lightly on the shaft when assembling.

Thanks for the info.  It is definitely  a Kohler.  I'm just not sure if it is a 14 or 16 hp.  Pretty sure it is not 18.  I told my grandpa I would pull it off for him but he is 3 1/2 hours away.  From what he told me I'm pretty sure the guy did pull from the outside.  Not sure how he messed up the seal on the shaft.  He did have to cut it off so maybe heat got to the seal.  My grandpa is still very active and hard to get ahold of but I hope to confirm the motor so I can get a seal number.

Thanks again guys

#6 willy1094 OFFLINE  

willy1094
  • 38 Thanks
  • 72 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 10:54 AM

Well, he says it is 18hp but I'm still waiting on confirmation with the engine model number.